• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: John Barry Mockup

Share/Bookmark

John Barry Mockup

Here\'s a mockup I did recently using GOS and DDBE. It\'s a cue from John Barry\'s score to Dances with Wolves. I think it\'s a good choice for a mockup because it\'s so simple. Each part is exposed. There\'s no hiding behind anything here.

Original (from CD)
    Mockup

Re: John Barry Mockup

I think you did a really great job on it, Tim. I was going to suggest cleaning up the French Horn line because it sounds like its lagging behind a little bit, but after listening to the original, that\'s just how they did it. What GOS patches did you use to get the string lines? Are those the grand detache King did? Very nice.
    Oh wait...I just did another listen and I heard the tell tale \"crackle-pop\" sound in the string line around :27. Hehe...you definitely used the grand detache strings. You might want to edit out the little pop in the actual sample in an audio editor.

-Hudson

Originally posted by timzydee:
    Here\'s a mockup I did recently using GOS and DDBE. It\'s a cue from John Barry\'s score to Dances with Wolves. I think it\'s a good choice for a mockup because it\'s so simple. Each part is exposed. There\'s no hiding behind anything here.

Original (from CD)
    Mockup
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Thanks. Yes, they are the looped G Detaches. I usually only notice the pops on certain notes/certain velocities, I guess I missed it. I created a patch of my own awhile back that layered GD\'s with Sus V\'s. Maybe I\'ll go back to those even though they use more poly. I still use them for the cellos though, since there is no looped GD\'s there.

Hi Tim,

I agree with Hudson, you did a very good job !
    It\'s a very nice reproduction (sound and interpretation ).
    I \'ve got a similar question : witch patch in GOS, specialy the violins : is it 1rst violin + 2nd violins or all violins or other ( I think it\'s all violins +2nd violins but...).

Hi Tim!

That\'s a great mockup! Let me also ask something about GOS - did you use the \"Hollywood-strings\" EQ for them? Or is it made custom by you?

Hansi

I didn\'t use any of the \"all\" patches, just the 1st and 2nd Grand Sustains in octaves. The EQ I used is probably similar to the \"Hollywood\" type. Here\'s a screen capture since it can be hard to explain the NFX EQ. Adjusting the mid and hi even one notch can make a huge difference. Try experimenting with it and see which you like best. Then compare it side by side with an actual recording.

I didn\'t use any of the \"all\" patches, just the 1st and 2nd Grand Sustains in octaves. The EQ I used is probably similar to the \"Hollywood\" type. Here\'s a screen capture since it can be hard to explain the NFX EQ. Adjusting the mid and hi even one notch can make a huge difference. Try experimenting with it and see which you like best. Then compare it side by side with an actual recording.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Very nice mock up Tim. Also thanks for the info on the GOS set-up - your mix sounds very good.

This \'Q/A\' theme speaks so well to how good \'simple is.\' Thanks for the reminder to me.

Rob

No no no...no need to change patches, they sound great as it is. Just go in and edit out that little pop on that one sample. It\'s the same note throughout all the Violin grand detache patches. And thank you for the EQ settings. I look forward to playing around with them.
    -Hudson

Thanks. Yes, they are the looped G Detaches. I usually only notice the pops on certain notes/certain velocities, I guess I missed it. I created a patch of my own awhile back that layered GD\'s with Sus V\'s. Maybe I\'ll go back to those even though they use more poly. I still use them for the cellos though, since there is no looped GD\'s there.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

sounds great! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Wow very nice.

P.S I am a pretty big fan of John Barry\'s work. I have listened to the dances with wolves theme countless times.

Go Back to forum