• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Daylight Nocturne

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Daylight Nocturne

It’s been awhile since I posted a piece here. There’s two reasons for that…..family visiting and a ridiculously difficult piece to learn to play.

Regarding the first issue, I love my family dearly, but after 2-weeks of visiting, I was glad to get my life back. I almost posted this before they came, but I didn’t have the score finished. Finally I can post.

This is the 5th installment of my piano collection “The Week Effort Collection”. Obviously, from the title and from hearing it, it was an attempt to emulate Chopin’s music. But rather than being a parody of his music, I wanted it to be a serious piece of music that stands on its own, with only an idiomatic resemblance to his style and sound. However as I look at the title, it “screams” parody, so I guess if that isn’t my intent I should change it.

It has everything that you would expect from Chopin though, a lyrical melody with poetic phrasing and ballad expressionism. At the other extreme, intense dynamic displays of virtuosic playing (well as virtuosic as I can muster up). It starts out as a nocturne then changing to his Polonaise style, then mutates into the style of his ballads/scherzos and so forth.

But that’s pretty much were the similarity ends. In reality, a good portion of the piece doesn’t sound much like Chopin at all. It contains romantic phrasing associated with many other composers and impressionism peppered throughout. I have long felt that without Chopin and Liszt, impressionism would have been delayed and perhaps even been different as we now know it today. The seeds of which can easily be found all over their music. So in the center of this piece it sounds more like Debussy than Chopin. I also included a bit of “modernism” after the cadenza, partly to show the forward progression of music, but mostly because it’s my style of writing… a calling card as it were, where I almost always inject a few measures of modern harmony in almost everything I write. Like it or not, call it inconsistent, incongruous, it’s just the way I like to write.

The makeup of the piece is rather simple. It’s a lengthy “one theme” piece with 75% being a 5-note upward scale motif. There is no second theme. The center of the piece is actually a development of the ending portion of this opening theme.

However……the piece is anything but simple to play. It’s easily hands down the most difficult piano piece I have written to date and it took me over a week just to learn the “cadenza” towards the end of the piece. It’s a non-metered section that is played with lots of rubato, giving it that loosey goosey, almost “coming apart” feeling which I wanted at that point before you hit the chaotic transition.

My next piece in this series is going to be simple and lean……am I listening to myself…..I repeat, simple…..I need a break!

As you might or might not know, I love extreme dynamics in my music and this piece doesn’t disappoint. It goes from pp with soft pedal to hammered fff so don’t be fooled by the quiet beginning. I hate using even the slightest compression on solo piano because I can always hear the squashed frequencies. But I think the beginning is too soft so I’ll probably have to acquiesce and compress somewhat.

Finally this is dedicated to our fellow Northern Sounder, Ted Vanya. We’ve had some private messages awhile back, and I found out about his love for Chopin. He’s probably regrets telling me however; I probably haven’t even come close to what you expect out of a Chopin clone piece, Ted, I only hope you don’t detest it!!

Okay, off to start a new “simple……” repeat “simple” piece for number six in this collection. (I’m so glad there are only two more pieces to do!!)

Cass (Garritan Authorized Steinway…………under the lid patch)

Daylight Nocturne MP3

Daylight Nocturne Score

Re: Daylight Nocturne

As usual, Cass, you move me with your beautiful creations. We all know too well how rotten humans can be at their worst. Thankfully, we can take respite from that reality and experience humans at their best when listening to beauties like DAYLIGHT NOCTURNE!

-----this is--

a s t o u n d i n g

Cass - along with everyone else, I'm sure, I've been anxiously looking forward to your next piece in "The Weekly Effort Collection"--now I'm so blown away by the brilliant pyrotechnics of this complex and ever-evolving piece that, despite that phrase I just typed, I really am speechless.

And it's a music lesson too, your great text post coupled with the fabulous music.

wow.

Randy

Just incredible.

As a dedicated Chopin lover myself, this is just perfect. Stunning piano work, twists and turns. A shot of Rachmaninov, a sprinkling of Liszt, Debussy and a healthy dose of Chopin. Your work deserves to be performed in concert, if not by yourself, then famous pianists.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hello and THANK YOU CASS.

As I said in our private conversation, I do not deserve your kind dedication, and I truly mean this.
    Oh, I can hear Chopin in places, brilliant as he was, but Cass overshadows and I hear mostly Cass.
    I honestly don't even know how to let you know how you have touched me with this piece. I think we think alike, and feel alike too. The feeling what music does to you is so evident in every second of this piece that you must have had some very nice time creating it.
    As I do not believe in heaven (or hell either) I still think that music is as close to what one would feel winged up, and this creation of yours is giving me that feeling.
    Thank you, and I am honored to have it dedicated to me.
    My family agrees with Graham, it really should be performed (I would prefer by you) in a concert hall so I can beat my paws cherry red bravo-ing you.

With a hug

Ted

Holy cow! Holy Toledo! Holey socks! I have just had a remarkable listening experience. I love your latest work, "Daylight Nocturne", Mister Cass. What a creative genius you are! I shall cease to compose immediately.

The music is great and the piano is nice and crisp. It would be a shame if this were not performed live in concert or as part of a recital.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful music with us.

Best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Good afternoon Cass,

I had a peak if there was something new on the Garritan Front. Nothing really but the usual. And then I switched to the listening room. I would never forgive myself if I hadn't done so. This piece needs an applaus. I can imagine that you had to practice some parts. By the way, the handling of the Garritan Steinway is superb in my ears.

Congratulations!!!

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Damon View Post
    As usual, Cass, you move me with your beautiful creations. We all know too well how rotten humans can be at their worst. Thankfully, we can take respite from that reality and experience humans at their best when listening to beauties like DAYLIGHT NOCTURNE!
    Sean,

I’m glad that you got some solace from this piece. It’s a nice break from the stress of everydayliving (including those rotten people we all put up with).

Actually it’s not the rotten people so much on my mind at the moment (except for the arsonist if it turns out one started it); I’m in the middle of a rather large forest fire in Southern California called the Chariot fire and has now grown to 7,000acres. I’m only 3 miles away from it but so far the winds have been favorable. If they change directions or whip up, I can say bye bye to my house. The helicopters fly over every few minutes with water payload and outside smells like a burned out building. Hopefully things will get back to normal here soon so I can continue writing.

Thanks for the kind words,

My best,

Cass

Speechless aye, ..hmm,…. I’ll have to jot this down in my diary as the day Randy was nonplussed. (Just ribbing you of course)

I’m glad you liked this Randy because when you write something that’s not particularly “vogue” in today’s standards or style,particularly this type of “over the top” heavy romantic piano literature, you wonder if anyone will even comment on it. But judging from the response (which I truly didn’t expect) it seems to still have a place in this day of age, at least here at the forum.

Like you, I enjoy doing something just a little outside my comfort zone to push you along in the creativity department. It was exciting to write this but now I got it out of system for the time, and ready to write something more laid back.

For the life of me I don’t understand why the Garritan Authorized Steinway was pulled from the shelf. It is still the best solo piano out there. I’ve tried so many others (new ones just released also) and I always come back to this piano.

As always, I truly value your comments and commitment to this forum. We have a great family here of diverse musicians which I, for one, so appreciate.

My best,

Cass

Graham,

I had no idea you liked Chopin but I shouldn’t be surprised by this because one doesn’t write incredible music such as you have shown here without a diverse background in all types of music. Most great composers only become really excellent if he/she has had a varied background in music and appreciates many styles.

I really appreciate your kudos Graham because I regard you as a very professional and consummate composer and get a thrill out of every work I hear of yours. Means a lot tome. And thanks for the comment on YouTube. You’re the first person to ever comment there on a piece, frankly I didn’t know you could do that.

Thanks also for the “deserving a performance” tip, but I’m fairly certain none of my music will ever be played. And I’m okay with this. I don’t write to gain notoriety or monetary gains. I write simply because I enjoy writing. If a few people really enjoy a piece here, that’s reward enough for me.

Not that the other is bad, in fact everyone should try to make a financial goal out of writing and be rewarded for their talent and endeavors, plus the fact music should be shared with as many people as possible , but they have to find you first.

I just don’t have that drive within my “being” to push myself, to self promote myself. It takes a lot of time, energy and fortitude to get music noticed and it doesn’t happen unless you continually engineer it to be. There are thousands of composers on the web. You’re not going to be notice in all probability unless you spend time promoting yourself.

I appreciate your statement though, because it means you truly enjoyed it which means the world to me and is my payment for my creative endeavors.

Thanks my friend,

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast