• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: When is Big Enough, Enough?

Share/Bookmark

When is Big Enough, Enough?

I\'m buying a bunch of new VST instruments after selling off all of my old hardware. It blows me away at the size of some the libraries out there. Remember when Roland crammed, drums, strings, bass, guitars, synths, choirs, etc, etc, into 16 megs? Now I see DFH Superior (drums only) 35 gigabytes, the new Scarbee drum library has 2 gigs for the hi-hats alone!!!! Where the heck do you guys put this stuff? I just bought a new computer with a 120 gigabyte HD for my sample libaries. I thought this was reasonable until I started researching some of these new libraries. I read a review about VSLO a while ago that basically said you couldn\'t play one of the mega-articulated sound sets because there wasn\'t a machine that was capable of doing it! Yowsa! When you buy a Korg Triton you never load up a patch and hope to heck the thing will play it back. It\'s funny \'cause I thought I\'d streamline my studio, 1 controller and 1 computer. Are we just trading rack mount synths for rack mount computers?

On the other side of the coin these libraries are so compelling, one more hard drive wouldn\'t now would it? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (Come on honey just a little stick of ram, another 240 gig HD, I\'m hurtin\' real bad!)

All the best,

Darren

Re: When is Big Enough, Enough?

The cost of hard drive space is so cheap that it is not even a consideration compared to the cost of the libraries. I saw a 250 gig Western Digital hard drive for $149 after rebates at Circuit City last week. At that price, why worry?

-- Martin

I\'m buying a bunch of new VST instruments after selling off all of my old hardware.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">To whom do you sell it? That\'s what puzzles me lately. Who is looking for old hardware? There was a time that you could resell stuff but now with all this soft business I\'m not so sure anymore.

Sorry for sidetracking.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Alex,

I think I got lucky!

Darren

Oh and I lost my shirt on everything as well [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I can relate to the \"losing your shirt,\" thing. I hung onto stuff too long, and now it\'s just too obscene to part with it at the price I can get. Maybe one day they\'ll be museum pieces, haha.

I know what you\'re saying about old gear being worthless. The thing that puzzels me is now I have to re-think some of my purchases. I use to drop a certain amount of money each year into new gear. But then after a few years, way after I\'d made my money back, if I didn\'t want that piece of gear anymore, I could usually sell it for about 1/2 of what I paid for it. So I always looked at it as an investment.

Now with all the software that\'s not really an option. That sucks because I still end up spending about as much on gear every year - it\'s just no one can see it because it\'s in my computer. And whether I like it or not, once the CC# is run, my $$$ is gone and I can never recoup.

I COMPLETELY understand why developers do this. I understand we\'re buying a liscense to use the software and if they didn\'t do it that way piracy would be king - which it\'s already a huge problem. But at the same time the users are getting hit pretty hard too becasue we have to gamble on certain purchases and sometimes we loose.

I\'d like to say I know that the developers are loosing BIG time. And basically the end user is too. So at the end of the day basically we\'re all being hurt by pirates. Which is why we all need to do everything we can to stop it.

But back to my point - now our investments are basically worthless. They have only 1 point of return, and that is how much better your work is because of the software - and ultimately how much work you can get from that. No more is there a resale value for the investment. Which ultimately makes music an even LESS lucrative career for some.

I\'ve been really blessed and I do pretty well, as I think many on the forum do. BUt I\'ve known many people who have not done so well. They\'ve spent every penny they\'ve made buying new gear so they can be more competitive, and then when they get hungry they end up selling a bunch of stuff... well now they have no assets because software is not an asset like hardware is.

What does all this mean? Well nothing really. It\'s just an observation [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J-

I sold my Juno-60 on ebay a while back for about $450. I got about the same for a crummy old Korg guitar synth. I think I paid $1,600 for the Juno and $375 for the synth when new. Go figure.

You never know what people will pay money for.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    I hung onto stuff too long, and now it\'s just too obscene to part with it at the price I can get.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s why some people find an occasional CS-80, Memorymoog, Fender Rhodes for just a few bucks on some old couple\'s attic. They hung onto too long.

Will this phenomenon happen again?

------------
    Alex Cremers

Posted on the wrong thread, sorry.

To whom do you sell it? That\'s what puzzles me lately. Who is looking for old hardware? There was a time that you could resell stuff but now with all this soft business I\'m not so sure anymore.

Sorry for sidetracking.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There still seems to be a lot of hobbyists and people that play in bands that havent embraced the \"new\" technology.

I recently sold an old Tascam multitrack to a guy who said that he was comfortable with tape and didnt want to learn computers to make his music.

Fair enough I guess.

Go Back to forum