• Register
  • Help

Topic: HELLLLP!! PIII800 Pulsar 2, Logic 4.5, Giga 2.01 and BSOD!!!

Share/Bookmark

HELLLLP!! PIII800 Pulsar 2, Logic 4.5, Giga 2.01 and BSOD!!!

The lovely guys at my music store finally got all the bits into my new computer today, but it\'s dieing.

After getting all the drivers to work together they were able to clean boot the PC and run all apps happily several times.
    Then out of the \'blue\' they turned it on and got a blue screen of death and lots of bad behaviour. Now each time they reboot and run Giga,the pc freezes on the Gigastudio splash screen.

To make matters worse Windows says it cant find an uninstall programme for the Gigastudio when they try and uninstall it, and there\'s no uninstall option in the programme group.

I didn\'t think of telling them to run the Giga diagnostic app - which I\'ll do when the shop opens in 11 hours.

Bummer, I had finally organized a couple of days to myself to learn this gear....

I emailed Nemesys a couple of hours ago and they probably haven\'t got out of bed yet. I hope to find an email in my in box when I wake up. (Next best thing to Christmas morning of you ask me).

Why do I have a sense of humour in this situation? Because I still have my old Atari running cubase 3.01, with the (16mb ram) Roland 770 sampler and various modules to keep me sane and working.

The pc is a PIII800e
    Motherboard is Asus CUBX with intel chipset and latest drivers and Bios - downloaded from website a week ago.
    256mb ram PC100sdram
    15gb IBM 7200rpm Ultra DMA Pluto drive for programmes. (Gigs on separate 30gb IBM drive)
    Matrox G400DH 16mg
    Windows 98se
    Pulsar 2.01. Logic 4.5. Gigastudio 2.01

The Pulsar card is using the Asio 2 drivers for Logic alongside the GSIF driver for Gigsatudio.

Gigastudio is running a version of the 2.01 patch downloaded on Aug 3.
    I Load Pulsar, then Giga then Logic.

Re: HELLLLP!! PIII800 Pulsar 2, Logic 4.5, Giga 2.01 and BSOD!!!

Chadwick,
    How is the system now? could you share with us what you found?
    What I would do, might be debuging from the hardware in the system like un-plugged one-by-one hardware then drivers to make sure it is clean in SAFE-MODE...Start from basic-up, to find out which one is the trouble-maker. About drivers, sometimes I would clean the registry in order the new re-installation can takes affects.
    Last also is first, Possibilities on the Video driver, the first thing I would do to re-install it...
    Good lucks, my friend!
    LHong

Hey LHong

Dave from Nemesys seemed a bit surprised by the problem, figured it might be an install which was corrupted during booting, and gave us the procedure to do a manual clean out of all Giga artifacts before reinstalling.

We (he) did this and reinstalled the basic programme.

The guy who owns the store decided he didn\'t want to use the Beta patch so they didn\'t ipdate after installing.

The machine didn\'t work (locked up on programme startup).

Finally they decided to install the latest version of the 2.01 patch.

I got a call late yesterday to say that it had booted, played back and sequenced several times without incident.

Cross my fingers that I can finally go and pick it up on Monday.

One interesting thing to note, in the system.ini file, before we uninstalled Gigastudio, there were multiple copies of the gigastudio Midi drivers. It looked something like this:
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 1
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 2
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 3
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 4
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 1(1)
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 2(1)
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 3(1)
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 4(1)
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 1(2)
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 2(2)
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 3(2)
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 4(2)

Gigastudio was crashing just after it scanned the Unitor 8\'s MIDI ports (you could see the port lights flash when it did this) It could be that Gigasampler was then scanning its internal MIDI settings and seeing multiple
    copies of the same thing......(just a theory)

Like I said - fingers crossed.

After the machine\'s run stably for a week I\'ll make a drive image as a backup.

Sorry to hear that, looks like the bugs in the REGISTRY, it\'s counting three times on-the-road that you have installed and re-installed it! I think that Nemesy should looks onto the clean un-installation solution. Otherwise You can run three GigaStudio programs at same time, Just kidding!
    Good lucks,

Interesting!!!
    =========================================
    One interesting thing to note, in the system.ini file, before we uninstalled Gigastudio, there were multiple copies of the gigastudio Midi drivers. It looked something like this:
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 1
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 2
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 3
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 4
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 1(1)
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 2(1)
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 3(1)
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 4(1)
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 1(2)
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 2(2)
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 3(2)
    MIDI in=Gigastudio MIDI in 4(2)