• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Orchestral Libraries Recomendations

Share/Bookmark

Orchestral Libraries Recomendations

Hi, I\'d like to get some opinions on the best way to augment my current Gigastudio library. Few years back we started with Miroslav Strings Sections + AO and QL Brass. I am now thinking of upgrading with new libraries and would like to get what anyone would think would be a good complement to what I currently own.

1) Strings . . . GOS or SI??? Or should I wait for the VSL? It is just around the corner says ILIO. Has anone tried VSL yet?
    2) My current setup is lacking in Woodwinds sounds . . . what do you suggest? I could get the Miroslav . . . but is it just one disk, compared to again VSL or the new QLSO.
    3) Any other suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks a million!
    Dennis

Re: Orchestral Libraries Recomendations

I wouldn\'t make any big purchases right now.
    Wait \'till there are some reviews of vsl and qlso. I\'m guessing prices might drop on the older libraries too, once they are out-done by the new ones.

I don\'t think Miroslav will ever drop prices...
    d_cham: Right now I\'d sit and wait for the new libs. Check http://www.vsl.co.at and http://www.soundsonline.com/orchestra for more info. Perhaps you\'ll consider to purchase something from http://www.projectsam.com as highly recommended (by this forum members) libraries.

Hansi

Originally posted by d_cham:
    Hi, I\'d like to get some opinions on the best way to augment my current Gigastudio library. Few years back we started with Miroslav Strings Sections + AO and QL Brass. I am now thinking of upgrading with new libraries and would like to get what anyone would think would be a good complement to what I currently own.

1) Strings . . . GOS or SI??? Or should I wait for the VSL? It is just around the corner says ILIO. Has anone tried VSL yet?
    2) My current setup is lacking in Woodwinds sounds . . . what do you suggest? I could get the Miroslav . . . but is it just one disk, compared to again VSL or the new QLSO.
    3) Any other suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks a million!
    Dennis
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Dennis,

I agree on waiting a month or so. I haven\'t heard of any new Choir libraries coming out soon (although I would love to see a Boy\'s Choir).

Has anyone else heard of upcoming vox libraries?

If not and you only have dough for one - IMHO go for VOTA. SOV is still very useful but if your budget is limited...

Good luck.

Rob

Thanks everyone so far . . . keep those posts comming! This brings me to the next question.

Given the choice of assembling a libary from stuff already exisiting what would most people get today assuming the VSL is not yet available . . . For example . . . GOS + DDBE + DDSW + SAM Horns . . . etc. The full VSL library costs around $3K with the Performance Module. Would it be better to pull from several strong libraries, or go with one like the VSL. Obvioulsy I do not think most of us have actually used the VSL. Nice to hear the opinion of people who have used other libraries (other than the one I own) and what would they put together given a $3K budget . . . given what is avialable in the market.

Thanks for the input!

Dennis

Its not worth speculating \"piecing together\" a library from whats available today, with stuff being released this week/next/week, and demos being released of some more stuff in about 3 weeks.

Not to mention it rally depends on specifics.

GOS has much more articulations than whats available today, yet SI works much better in intimate settings right out of the box. (this may change in the near future)

DDBE is fantastic all around, but could use some work in the bones. My favorite horn sound is a combonation of SAM and DDBE, it may be the same with Sam Bones and DDBE for bones. However you may get buy with QLB and SAM.

winds, these are the most lacking. As of this minute. Its DDSW, and AO in my corner. However I\'ve heard the miro stuff and like it. Still there\'s nothing out today exactly that I\'d choose having what I have and knowing that there are future releases on the horizon.

Percussion, LOP. Until VSL and QLSO come out, there is nothing like it.

you can coax great stuff out of any of the above, and combinations of any of the above.

However, since we are so close to new stuff. I think it\'d be completely ignorant to buy something today unless you\'re in dire need of it.

If you\'re looking for specific info on any library dealing with orchestral, jsut do a search. I\'m sure its been discussed ten times atleast in this forum.

Hi all,

strange that people here keep forgetting about BoB which is really wonderful and easy library to work with.

Btw. it\'s a solo-brass library. However, you can get quite effective ensemble by using the two versions (BoB contains two versions of every instrument) of the instruments together.

Also the price is great!

Regarding the original question - I\'m in same shoes, that\'s I\'m looking for complete orchestra sounds. I\'m lacking some in woodwinds, and I\'m missing strings (still using soundfonts [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] ). I\'m also little short on percussions.
    I\'m going to wait awhile to see what happens with VSL and the other orchestral libraries which are right behind the corner. I think that\'s the wise thing to do. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BOB is nice indeed (I have the TB and Tuba), but you will have to edit some instruments to give them shorter releases. Current settings give unrealistic \"note-offs\", IMO.
    I don\'t care so much for using the alternate takes as \"ensembles\" or for a fatter sound. It gets too phasy for that. Instead I have remapped the two alternate takes to keyswitches. Very handy for exposed lines with repeated notes in a row.
    If you insist on using the alternate takes for an ensemble sound, you can also experiment a bit by shifting regions up or down so that you (say) use C\'s for the D\'s. The pitch shifting introduces additional sound changes.

Arrrh! Choices choices! Wish there was a way to try before you buy!!! So many sounds so little $$$!

Hi Guys . . . thanks again. . . wish I could go to NAMM, prior commitemets have messed up my schedule! Any one knows how much the QLSO package will cost? Not much information on their site.

Dennis

My 2 cents.

I can\'t believe people are recommending LOP.
    They are so overpriced its redicoulous.

Even the triangles they got wrong!
    Timpani...not enough dynamic steps
    Makes them unuseable in any serious situation.
    For a bang and a spalash..LOP is just ok.

But for any serious use..forget it.

Tried to cover too many basis...
    Sorry...Should be priced under 100 bucks.

Go Back to forum