• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Amusing Man" reborn

Share/Bookmark

"Amusing Man" reborn

When I first posted "A Most Amusing Man" adapted for Concert Band, I didn't realize it would turn out to be such a work-in-progress. Now, a month later, with the tremendous help from so many Forum members, the score is in good shape, and I've made a new MP3 demo.

Besides being notated more properly, the music itself changed. It's now in the key of F instead of G, and additional lines were written, so now there's a flute 2, clarinet 2, and alto sax 2, where before there were just single lines.

Especially since we no longer get email notifications about new posts on threads, I'm putting the revised "Amusing Man" on its own thread, ala Graham's "Dragon Flight" work-in-progress threads. My helpers will have the chance to hear what they helped me develop, as well as anyone else who might be interested.

Thanks again all you notation experts who donated so much time on helping me. Here it is:

"A Most Amusing Man" reborn

EDIT: 7/23/13 - The link above now goes to a re-mix. The helpful feedback on this thread made me decide to see if I could give the mix more polish. It's brighter, hopefully an improvement over the first version I had up earlier. If you're finding this thread and are terribly curious what the first mix sounded like, you'll find it on the right hand side menu at Box - The MP3 labeled "7-9-13."

And here's the new score:

"Amusing" corrected score

Randy

Re: "Amusing Man" reborn

This would be an excellent Concert Band piece! Wow!! Nicely done! The score looks clean and easily read. I could follow it along with the music quite easily even looking at it in reduce size to fit on screen.

You have accomplished a good looking score to a great sounding piece of music. My best of luck to you in getting a live performance of this.

Job Well Done, Randy!!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    This would be an excellent Concert Band piece! Wow!! Nicely done! The score looks clean and easily read. I could follow it along with the music quite easily even looking at it in reduce size to fit on screen.

You have accomplished a good looking score to a great sounding piece of music. My best of luck to you in getting a live performance of this.

Job Well Done, Randy!!
    Rich, you've proven yourself, yet again, to be a true sport. Thank you so much for the encouragement on this piece you've already heard - I'm glad you haven't grown so tired of it that you were'nt able to write a new message about it. And I am VERY happy to hear that the score is now easily read - that was certainly my goal.

I'm really fortunate to have you and the rest of the Garritan Forumites in my universe.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Just coming out of my busy season.

I sure liked your latest rendering of your Amusing Man. A great arrangement and strong melodically.

I'm sure a high school band + would have a lot of fun performing this music.

I hope it happens.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Hi Randy,

Just coming out of my busy season.

I sure liked your latest rendering of your Amusing Man. A great arrangement and strong melodically.

I'm sure a high school band + would have a lot of fun performing this music.

I hope it happens.

Phil
    Another stalwart Forumite checks in! Thank you, Phil, for friendly support beyond the call of duty. This has been such an eye-opening experience for me, trying to toe the line and produce properly laid out scores. I know I couldn't keep plowing on with this multifaceted project of creating Concert Band pieces without the feedback and support from Garritan friends like you. You're the tops, Phil!

Randy

Nicely done Mr. Bowser. This indeed, would make a fine piece for an accomplished High School Bands repertoire. I hope it does get a look at by a publisher. Maybe you could get a local Seattle High School Band to perform it. It never hurts to ask! Consider the performance a advertisement ploy to other schools. You may even get a commission out of this.

Best regards,
    Bill

P.S. The score is much easier to read without all those triplets! Great Job!
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Excellent work, Bro B!

Your varying dynamics and "changes of scenery" throughout are very good and the overall work is pleasing.

I regret to say that the instruments lack realism. That's no criticism of you, of course. It is just the unhumble opinion of a cantankerous old person.

Thank you for sharing your music with us.

Best,

Old Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Nicely done Mr. Bowser. This indeed, would make a fine piece for an accomplished High School Bands repertoire. I hope it does get a look at by a publisher. Maybe you could get a local Seattle High School Band to perform it. It never hurts to ask! Consider the performance a advertisement ploy to other schools. You may even get a commission out of this.

Best regards,
    Bill

P.S. The score is much easier to read without all those triplets! Great Job!
    Bill, I really appreciate notation experts like yourself standing by me as I've tried to wrap my head around the whole concept. This dang score went through a Score of versions since the dreaded 4/4 with triplets version. As the notes piled up, I just kept applying them the best I could, and now after umpteen versions, I am hoping this really is acceptable enough for a band to work from, and/or a publisher to take seriously.

Though music programs in our area are massively under-funded now, there are still some school bands, and it's possible one of the departments could go for trying something new, and as you're suggesting, I'd have no problem offering it to them for free. If a local school doesn't go for it, I could go farther afield, to Portland, to Seattle. We'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Excellent work, Bro B!

Your varying dynamics and "changes of scenery" throughout are very good and the overall work is pleasing.

I regret to say that the instruments lack realism. That's no criticism of you, of course. It is just the unhumble opinion of a cantankerous old person.

Thank you for sharing your music with us.

Best,

Old Larry
    Thank you, Mr. A, for giving this thing yet another listen. Your enthusiasm was appreciated the first time around, and once again now. It's been fun, despite my notation struggles, to polish the piece up, and am glad you've now heard the new version.

BUT
    , this is not good news at all that it's not sounding realistic to you. I'll toot my own horn, and say that over time here on the Forum, having a natural, "realistic" sound to my recordings has been their most commented-on hallmark. It's very important to me that this one is up to my standard, and I'm bummed to find that at least you don't think it is.

I suspect that this particular file may be victim of the dreaded "notation-itis" that we all hear from time to time.

Believe it or not, this is the very first time I've exported a MIDI file from Sibelius to work with in Sonar. I usually do all my work in Sonar, venturing into notation just when there's a necessity. In this case, of course the whole point was to produce an acceptable looking score. After fixing the score, I plunged into the huge job of re-doing the audio demo. I couldn't just tweak what I already had in Sonar, because the key has been changed from the original, and there's been numerous re-writes throughout. So, I worked with the Sib MIDI files, spending the last week polishing them up, wanting the finished mix to be an accurate demo of what's in the score.

Niggling away in the back of my mind, I've been concerned that the awful quantized sound of a notation file wasn't being tamed enough. Then, like all of us, the new mix project grew on me. I thought it was sounding fine and as good as the original, and it's quite possible I've grown deaf to its faults.

Now I need to take a step back. The mix is pretty new, so I'll do what I usually do, - put it away for a week or so and then come back at it refreshed. Hopefully if there's anything I can do to re-captue my usual natural sound, I'll do it.

SO - a bit dismaying to hear this, but at this point, a few months into the big push to develop Concert Band scores and demos - I can't balk at the possibility of doing yet more work!

--but still--arrrrrrgh.

Randy

Don't be concerned. I wouldn't place much credence in the opinion of a cantankerous old person.

Your production is very good. You are turning out great stuff, young man.

Best,

Old Person
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Sounds great to me. Doing a comparison to the previous version I only only hear a natural thinning out of some areas because your new DAW tracklist is probably more faithful to the score than the previous version was.

Score is looking great. My performance score didn't have to be at the published level because the conductor played with the layout after I gave it to him to suit his own style, but I'm tempted to give it a go as well.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast