• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample Fine Tuning

Share/Bookmark

Sample Fine Tuning

As I was tuning the Advanced Orchestra viola to the Garritan Orchestral Strings viola I stuck in a few melodic note intonation adjustments -- raised leading tones, lowered tonic thirds --

Does anyone have experience and advice on trying to do this kind of thing?

BTW, to tune AO to GOS: the AO pitch wheel is set by default at 3 semitones, so a 8192 tick change (0 to max) makes 2730 per semitone, or about 27 ticks for each cent (100th semitone). I tuned AO down 3 cents by setting the pitch control to -54. Seemed to work pretty well, but maybe someone can give advice on doing this better too?

Re: Sample Fine Tuning

Why not just use a slider on the AO Viola\'s Giga midi mixer channel and assign it to fine tune?

You can make the adjustments in the giga editor to the AO gigs, but it\'s a pain in the ***, so I\'d say you are probably on the exact right track with waht you are doing. The pitch wheel change will work, as will a global fine tune if gigastudio presents that option to you (not in front of my computer at the moment). One thing you may want to look into is raising the major thirds rather than lowering them - raising the 7th is definitely cool, though I suppose the ideal world would slightly randomize the intonation every time a note is played to get really nice intonation - a stretch far from present possibilities. You could probably get close to a sort of practical melodic intonation a player would use with raised thirds, raised 7ths, and a lowered min3. Though it does lock you into a bit into a single key ...

>>>You could probably get close to a sort of practical melodic intonation a player would use with raised thirds, raised 7ths, and a lowered min3. Though it does lock you into a bit into a single key ...

I wouldn\'t want to lose hundreds of years of equal temperament -- but want to do as string players do, and adjust the tuning note by note just as they adjust the volume and vibrato and attack and rhythm. A string orchestra in tonal music, even today, is an odd beast: the calm keys of Bb and Eb major, with their tonal thirds always brought into comparison with the fixed open D or G strings and their sevenths always in comparison with open A or D, are very different keys than G or D or A major, where the fixed strings hold the fixed tonic /dominant and the thirds and sevenths can stretch far away from equal tuning.

And, even for non-tonal music, real (traditional) string players still adjust their intonation as if the music were tonal!

Go Back to forum