• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Value of QL Brass......

Share/Bookmark

Value of QL Brass......

Noticing in the Dec. Sale that the QL brass is only $99 if you buy it for Emu. I\'ve almost bought this several times when it was $440! Naturally $99 seems like a great price. But I\'m just wondering if anybody seems to think it\'s a library that has run it\'s course and the usefulness wouldn\'t justify dropping the mere $99 (and then of course the personal time investment of translating the whole thing).

I know QL probably doesn\'t compare with SAM or any of the new orchestral brass libraries, but I\'m more interested in some pop brass. I thought maybe QL would be good. Or MAYBE, just MAYBE, someone might post something that says \"Wait\" because they know of a new pop library about to come out [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!!

Oh yea, also, what\'s the programming differences in the QL EMU, and the QL giga versions? Other then the formatting?

J-

Re: Value of QL Brass......

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    Noticing in the Dec. Sale that the QL brass is only $99 if you buy it for Emu. I\'ve almost bought this several times when it was $440! Naturally $99 seems like a great price. But I\'m just wondering if anybody seems to think it\'s a library that has run it\'s course and the usefulness wouldn\'t justify dropping the mere $99 (and then of course the personal time investment of translating the whole thing).

I know QL probably doesn\'t compare with SAM or any of the new orchestral brass libraries, but I\'m more interested in some pop brass. I thought maybe QL would be good. Or MAYBE, just MAYBE, someone might post something that says \"Wait\" because they know of a new pop library about to come out [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!!

Oh yea, also, what\'s the programming differences in the QL EMU, and the QL giga versions? Other then the formatting?

J-
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">One thing about QL Brass, it\'s quite versatile. It\'s one of the few brass libraries you can use on both Pop and orchestral music. It covers most, if not all the bases when it comes to brass.

I don\'t know about the translation thing...

Hi,

Looks like I may just have to order it myself. I have been waiting for an awesome deal such as this to pick it up. Frankly, at full price, given the quality of today\'s sample libraries, I feel that it is overpriced (although when it was released - the price was right). At $250 or less, it is definitely worth it. (and at $99, it\'s a steal).

Anyway, it\'s not suited to orchestral stuff. You may be able to do some things with it but it\'s limitations will become quite apparent very quickly. For pop stuff it is great IMHO.

FV

99 bucks is a steal, you\'d have to reprogram the giga version anyway [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Still a great library, definitely worth it!

Ryan.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

QL Brass is cool, and $99 is cooler. Best cop-show, cup-muted trumpets you can buy, and lots of good stuff besides that.

I just used them in my last project and the client said \"The brass kicks ***\" ... so definitely worth it for me.

I just finished reading Dave Stewart\'s review (the second one on this page:
    http://www.soundsonline.com/revQLBS5.shtml)

Aside from the fact that Dave played on the greatest fusion album of all time (Bruford\'s One of a Kind), he clearly reviews products in great detail with excellent insight. His quirk is that he wants looped versions of *everything*. Such is the preference of the live player - he doesn\'t want the sample to start lifting the notes on the keyboard when on stage.

Note that Stewart measured one of the Giga patches at 78 MB, and writes that none of the Akai samples is over 32 MB. That could just be due to a lack of keyswitching and layers - but are all the layers actually there in the Akai (and Emu) versions?

Hmmm. The Giga version may be the way to go. And $199 still ain\'t bad. Especially given that the programming is already taken care of.

I\'ve been a Giga guy thus far, but if I get QL Brass, I just may need to get Kontakt for the Time Machine function...

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005088#000000

Being able to control the rate of the swells and dips would be really nice.

Okay, I\'m ordering [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I have just recieved kontakt and I need a good excuse to dig into the editor so maybe this is it!!

J-

Hi,

I ordered it earlier today (in E-mu format) so I should receive it either tomorrow or on Monday (I\'m in Canada). At $99, I simply couldn\'t pass up on this deal. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jon, I do believe that the Giga version simply has multiple articulations and dynamics levels rolled into the same .gig files which is why the descrepancy in size. The number of CD\'s are the same. From playing around with this library at a friend\'s place (Akai format), pretty much everything is separate and designed around the limitation of Akai samplers that were around at the time of QL Brass\' original release.

I\'ve read in a few places that the Giga programming leaves a bit to be desired and you\'d probably end up tweaking it anyway (as King implies). [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I usually tweak to my needs anyway so the extra cost for a bit more programming won\'t affect me too terribly. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

FV

Go Back to forum