It\'s no \"California Girlz\" but it\'s quite nice. I don\'t know what advice to try and share regarding mod wheel and velocities but it sounds like you are on the right track. The last two GPO user demos have pleased me quite a bit.
(Insert Handzzzz rebutal here [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] )
If anything, orchestration wise, I found the middle section could have used a little thinning out. Other than that very nice work.
Very nice. I especially like the intro. Very light and clean.
My one point of (hopefully) constructive criticism is that some of the sections seem a bit static in their overall dynamics. I picture the shape of a hockey stick - the sections are flat for 10 or 20 seconds, then end with a quick mini-crescendo done with timpani or cymbals.
There are many ways to spice things up - build instrumentation slowly, swap the instrumentation as it builds, slowly strip instruments away towards a soft sound... But I\'ll leave it to you to think about and solve as you wish (or don\'t solve as you wish. :-) Mainly, think about how to best keep things constantly moving.
I hope my feedback is helpful. This is one of the best GPO user demos I\'ve heard so far.
>> \"You\'re so right, Jon. I\'ve added a few more dynamics. I suppose I could automate the entire output and get a bit more rising and falling as a conductor might. Is that legal?\"
If it sounds good to you, it\'s legal :-) That\'s the beauty of being a virtual composer/arranger/performer/conductor.
I did a piece recently in which I varied each instrument\'s dynamics from pp to ff. I then recorded envelopes in real time, so each individual note could vary. The envelopes also accetuated the builds and falls. Each individual track was nicely musical (to me :-). I then rendered the tracks separately and opened them in Vegas for the mix.
When I listened closely, I was surprised at how poor the balance between the instruments remained. I did some per-track EQ to get the strings out of each other\'s space (it was a solo string piece). I also ran each instrument through Acoustic Mirror (an impulse reverb). Finally, I automated the mix, so each instrument was in the correct balance throughout the piece. I did some small crescendos here, but mostly I just balanced. The crescendos and diminuendos were already present - but I could have pushed them further at this point.
In the end I didn\'t need to run any compression. I just normalized and went to MP3.
I could imagine listening to the final work, deciding that it needs to be pushed just a little bit more, and then varying the master for that extra push, but I wouldn\'t do any more than that. I think it would sound too much like a volume control being varied.
I guess my recommendation is to strive for musicality at each stage. First for each instrument, then for the overall balance between the tracks. If the tracks don\'t \"sing\" individually, it\'s nearly impossible to make them sing after they\'ve been mixed.
I can\'t wait to try out GPO. The idea of varying attack with velocity and volume/timbre with the wheel is enticing. It sounds intuitive, but I won\'t know for sure until my fingers are on the keyboard.
Again, it\'s a nice demo. I wouldn\'t worry about giving the apple another layer of polish. I\'d recommend creating more music and learning more through each and every cycle.