• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking for somewhat versatile piano...suggestions?

Share/Bookmark

Looking for somewhat versatile piano...suggestions?

Ok guys,

Man, my questioning has been nuts lately. I have had my eye on and even said I was getting the Eastwest Steinway B sample cd. I liked the demos, and even from users. I want a really awesome classical piano, but also at the same time can be somewhat versatile for more intimate settings like a jazz nightclub feel (White Grand Library). It seems there have been many new piano libraries released recently, and the Eastwest one is from 1998. Hopefully year doesn\'t matter, and the sampling still prevails, but I read in other threads on this forum, the highs are weak.

I\'m basically in love with the Joe Hisaishi (Spirited Away OST) piano sound. If I can get close to that, I\'m in heaven. Any suggestions, and can the library possibly be $200 or less? Thanks!

Jared

Re: Looking for somewhat versatile piano...suggestions?

I am afraid there is no library that fits all styles equally well... Every sample has it\'s \"more suited for...\" qualities.

In case you want to listen to our PMI Bosendorfer 290 plug-in in different styles check out this page: Mixed styles plug-in demos

Originally posted by Jared Hudson:
    Ok guys,

Man, my questioning has been nuts lately. I have had my eye on and even said I was getting the Eastwest Steinway B sample cd. I liked the demos, and even from users. I want a really awesome classical piano, but also at the same time can be somewhat versatile for more intimate settings like a jazz nightclub feel (White Grand Library). It seems there have been many new piano libraries released recently, and the Eastwest one is from 1998. Hopefully year doesn\'t matter, and the sampling still prevails, but I read in other threads on this forum, the highs are weak.

I\'m basically in love with the Joe Hisaishi (Spirited Away OST) piano sound. If I can get close to that, I\'m in heaven. Any suggestions, and can the library possibly be $200 or less? Thanks!

Jared
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If you like, you can send me a couple of midi-files and I render mp3\'s using White Grand. Then you can listen to it a see what you think.
    WG will be released early January and have a pricetag under $200

I\'ve always been very happy with Steinway B. It got even better with Olivier\'s art file.

------------
    Alex Cremers

The nice thing about the Steinway B (not many others have this, btw) is the way it sustains immediately after the attack. Most pianos have a fast decay right after the attack. They sound like tang, tang or chunk, chunk, if you know what I mean.
    IMO, you can\'t go wrong with the EW Steinway B, especially with Olivier\'s art file. It\'s a proven classic.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    The nice thing about the Steinway B (not many others have this, btw) is the way it sustains immediately after the attack. Most pianos have a fast decay right after the attack. They sound like tang, tang or chunk, chunk, if you know what I mean.
    IMO, you can\'t go wrong with the EW Steinway B, especially with Olivier\'s art file. It\'s a proven classic.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I agree the EW Steinway is a great piano, and it gets used around here, no doubt!!

However, that \"immediate sustain\" has its pros and cons. Michiel\'s comment that not every piano is good for everything is right on. Sometimes you want that \"tick\" or \"thunk\" at the top of a note, because that\'s what allows it to cut through the mix without taking up the whole soundstage. The Steinway B\'s richness of sustain is great when you want piano up front, but by the same token, can prevent it from cutting through when you don\'t.

A tool that I think EVERY sampling musician should have in his box is TransX (Waves). It\'s a multiband compressor that only works on transients. You can quickly dial in more attack or dial out excessive attack without affecting the sustain or any other characteristic of the sound. For sampleheads, the value of that is incredible--it brings most samples into much more \"universal\" usefulness, and is amazing for forcing disparate sample sets to blend together properly...or to make something recede or pop forward in an otherwise balanced mix.

In fact, I had several people on the board fooled into thinking the Larry Seyer bass was Trilogy on a musical example, because I dialed more \"thump\" into the attack and moved the normally very sustained sound of Seyer into something that sounded a bit more distant mic\'ed. And it works very well to put some \"hair\" on piano attacks, too.

Maybe this is getting off topic...who me? Thumbs up for the Steinway and for TransX. Keep an eye on that White piano, too...I think Worra\'s got something going on there!!

Cool advice Bruce. I wish I could go buy waves today [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] It\'s one of those weird pieces of software I\'ve been putting off and putting off and keep regretting I don\'t have - but never actually go out and buy it! Go figure.

AnYWAY.

Jared. I think you\'ll really like Worra\'s new White Grand. I\'ve found it very versatile. You can hear the demos he\'s posted so far and there will be more coming - but in short I\'ve been very pleased with it for many styles. The unique thing about it is it\'s very bright and sits quite well in a mix, but it\'s not got the traditional bright hammer attack that you would find on a yamah.

Also, you might look into the steinberg plugin called \"The Grand\". I\'ve not got this but I played with it at a friends house the other day and couldn\'t believe my ears. I was WOW\'d. Someone else may be able to post and say how it compares to PMI, Vintaudio and the other guys.

Also - Someone answer this - isn\'t the EW piano what is shipping with QLSO Silver?

J-

Go Back to forum