• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can't open Aria in Sonar X2

Share/Bookmark

Can't open Aria in Sonar X2

I've been having issues when saving and reopening Sonar X2 projects with Aria tracks.
    I know it has something to do with Aria because I've opened the projects several times in safe mode and loaded everything but Aria and it loaded fine.
    What seems starnge is there doesn't seem to be any problem unless I close and reopen the project.
    In settings it shows I'm using Aria player v1.620 and Aria engine v1.626 (win 64).
    Any advice?
    Thanks very much,
    G. Randy Brown

Re: Can't open Aria in Sonar X2

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    I've been having issues when saving and reopening Sonar X2 projects with Aria tracks.
    I know it has something to do with Aria because I've opened the projects several times in safe mode and loaded everything but Aria and it loaded fine.
    What seems starnge is there doesn't seem to be any problem unless I close and reopen the project.
    In settings it shows I'm using Aria player v1.620 and Aria engine v1.626 (win 64).
    Any advice?
    Thanks very much,
    G. Randy Brown
    Hi, Randy-Randy here.

But hmmm, and well now - This is odd. Are you sure you're using the right version of ARIA, depending on if you're opening Sonar 32 or 64 bit?

I don't quite get what you said - it's not a problem unless you close and re-open a project.- In the first paragraph it sounds like you're not able to open ARIA at all - Do you mean you eventually get it to work, or--?

I'm still using good ol' Sonar 8.5, and all works fine, but I'm not aware of any particular X2 issues. SO - pretty sure there's something going on, user error or something.

Let me know about the bit question, since there are two .dll files for ARIA.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Randy-Randy here.

But hmmm, and well now - This is odd. Are you sure you're using the right version of ARIA, depending on if you're opening Sonar 32 or 64 bit?

I don't quite get what you said - it's not a problem unless you close and re-open a project.- In the first paragraph it sounds like you're not able to open ARIA at all - Do you mean you eventually get it to work, or--?

I'm still using good ol' Sonar 8.5, and all works fine, but I'm not aware of any particular X2 issues. SO - pretty sure there's something going on, user error or something.

Let me know about the bit question, since there are two .dll files for ARIA.

Randy
    Aria (IO or GPO) open and work fine in a new project however if I close and re-open the project Sonar gets stuck on Aria and Sonar goes to "not responding" until I force it closed.
    In the Aria player settings it shows I'm using Aria player v1.620 and Aria engine v1.626 (win 64)....the player doesn't indicate whether it's 64 bit but I'm pretty sure it is.
    Thanks Randy!

uh-oh...I'm working on a deadline so as a workaround I froze/bounced all synths to audio. I just selected unfreeze and it's not responding again so I had to force it to close.

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    Aria (IO or GPO) open and work fine in a new project however if I close and re-open the project Sonar gets stuck on Aria and Sonar goes to "not responding" until I force it closed.
    In the Aria player settings it shows I'm using Aria player v1.620 and Aria engine v1.626 (win 64)....the player doesn't indicate whether it's 64 bit but I'm pretty sure it is.
    Thanks Randy!
    So you're saying, you can't ever open a project again after you've closed it once? It still sounds like you're getting work done - are you doing something that eventually gets it to work? Sorry - I just can't quite get the story.

The ARIA .dll files on a 64 bit machine are in Program Files>Garritan>ARIA Player>VST. Inside that folder there are plainly marked X64 versions and X86 versions. If you moved the .dll file for Sonar, you need to make sure you put it in your 64 bit VST folder.

So you froze the tracks, something like bouncing--Why did you unfreeze? If your problem is with getting your MIDI tracks to play again, freezing was a good idea--but just leave them that way.--

Randy

Just a thought... Are your Sonar Preferences set to look in the correct location for your VSTs and GPO instrument files? If it is not responding it is because Sonar is hung trying to find something. If you have moved anything from its default location it may not be able to find that. I use Sonar X2a and have not ever had this problem.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I have had this problem, and I traced it back to both the 32-bit and 64-bit VSTi DLLs being loaded. So, the solution for me was to use ONLY the 64-bit ARIA vst DLLs by keeping the 32-bit and 64-bit separate. For example, I put the ARIA DLLs in different directories from the Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTi directory so I could load only the 64-bit DLLs.

This should get you going.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    I have had this problem, and I traced it back to both the 32-bit and 64-bit VSTi DLLs being loaded. So, the solution for me was to use ONLY the 64-bit ARIA vst DLLs by keeping the 32-bit and 64-bit separate. For example, I put the ARIA DLLs in different directories from the Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTi directory so I could load only the 64-bit DLLs.

This should get you going.
    That's right, Jim. When I pointed out the installation's destination folder for the .dll files, I didn't explain the rest of the story which is just as you said - You should have only one plugin folder for Sonar, or one for 32 and one for 64 bit if you have both installed. I copied the appropriate ARIA .dll files into the one VST folder I have for 64 bit, and the other .dll files into the VST folder for the 32 bit version of Sonar. It's impossible for the wrong ARIA to be loaded in Sonar. When you use the Plugin Manager, you really shouldn't just keep adding more locations for it to scan - There should be just one folder to scan.

And as you pointed out, Rich, you don't want to move the instruments after the installation, or ARIA won't be finding things.

But - the jury's out if this is the source of Randy's problem. He seems able to start a project and work - That indicates that instruments are loading correctly. For some reason, things get hung up when he tries to re-open a project - and I suppose that's possibly due to having the wrong bit version of ARIA loaded, since Sonar's BitBridge doesn't work with ARIA--maybe it does to some degree?--not sure, I don't mess with it, no need to since we have two versions of ARIA.

The problem here is very possibly something else entirely. It is good to know you work with X2 and ARIA with no problems, Rich.

Randy

Thanks so much guys!
    Okay so after a search, I have the 64 and 32 bit dll in 2 locations...C\prog files\garritan\aria player and C\prog files\cakewal\vst plug-ins (which is probably what I chose during installation).
    I'm running on a 64 bit machine, which ones can I delete?
    Randy- yes my workaround was to freeze (bounce) the synths to audio so Sonar wouldn't try to open them...it locked up sonar when I tried to unfreeze so that I could make a change in the part.
    That being the case I'd say you guys have figured out my issue and next time I will just let Aria install where she wants!
    Thanks again guys!

Sounds like you should uninstall and reinstall. Deleting DLLs may be problematic, depending on whether or not they have been registered.

Go Back to forum