• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Topic: which aria player with GPO?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    which aria player with GPO?

    Old GPO4 user here, haven't used it in a long time or followed it, but I decided I want to get it installed and play around with it, so trying to figure out what I need to install. I have the original CD's dated 2004, which might even be GPO3, I can't remember now. At some point I know I updated to GPO4 and I think I updated to the aria player at some point also, but as of now, what do I need to install and which Aria player is the one that works with GPO?
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

  2. #2

    Re: which aria player with GPO?

    Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42 View Post
    Old GPO4 user here, haven't used it in a long time or followed it, but I decided I want to get it installed and play around with it, so trying to figure out what I need to install. I have the original CD's dated 2004, which might even be GPO3, I can't remember now. At some point I know I updated to GPO4 and I think I updated to the aria player at some point also, but as of now, what do I need to install and which Aria player is the one that works with GPO?
    2004! That has to be the first version of GPO, GPO1 - ! That was for the Kontakt Player.

    When you updated to GPO4, it came with ARIA, and now that's gone through numerous updates. ARIA was developed by Garritan and Plogue to be the single player for all Garritan Libraries, so GPO's always been compatible with ARIA - in fact, it's the only thing it operates in.

    But you do need to sign up at MakeMusic as a registered Garritan user, then you can go to the Downloads page and get the current version of ARIA which is 1.620. That should get you set up.

    Randy

  3. #3

    Re: which aria player with GPO?

    thanks! Online through makemusic.com worked like a charm. Have everything installed and working with latest Aria player. Amazing what a great little orch library this is, especially for the small footprint.

    I have one question. The new Aria player is basically SFZ format right? Does that mean GPO is now SFZ?

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    2004! That has to be the first version of GPO, GPO1 - ! That was for the Kontakt Player.

    When you updated to GPO4, it came with ARIA, and now that's gone through numerous updates. ARIA was developed by Garritan and Plogue to be the single player for all Garritan Libraries, so GPO's always been compatible with ARIA - in fact, it's the only thing it operates in.

    But you do need to sign up at MakeMusic as a registered Garritan user, then you can go to the Downloads page and get the current version of ARIA which is 1.620. That should get you set up.

    Randy
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

  4. #4

    Re: which aria player with GPO?

    Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42 View Post
    thanks! Online through makemusic.com worked like a charm. Have everything installed and working with latest Aria player. Amazing what a great little orch library this is, especially for the small footprint.

    I have one question. The new Aria player is basically SFZ format right? Does that mean GPO is now SFZ?
    Good deal, thanks for reporting back how it went for you, Dewdman.

    And yes, ARIA is an SFZ player, not just "basically," but that's what it is exactly. All of the Garritan Libraries, GPO included, were ported over into the SFZ format. Of course there was a bit of sophistication in the use of the source audio files - Those are in a proprietary format designed to not be so easily grabbed as basic SFZ instruments which can use standard .wav files.

    But that also means that ARIA can play other SFZ instruments, it doesn't just load Garritan. If you have Dimension from Cakewalk, for instance, that will show up in your ARIA menu with all of its instruments ready to load. For any other 3rd party SFZ instruments, you just choose "Import," and you can load those. Not only that, but ARIA will also create SFZ versions of SoundFont files on the fly. Just import or drag-n-drop an SF2 file on to the ARIA interface, and from then on, the converted SoundFont will appear at the bottom of the ARIA menu in a "converted" category.

    Pretty slick, hmmm?

    Randy

  5. #5

    Re: which aria player with GPO?

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    If you have Dimension from Cakewalk, that will show up in your ARIA menu with all of its instruments ready to load.
    Forgive me, Dewdman, for hijacking your thread, but I had to ask Randy: I just purchased Dimension Pro yesterday, but it is not showing up in Aria menu. Do the files have to be saved in a certain place for this to work? I also tried importing an sfz file from Dimension into Aria. It worked, except for the fact that the release is missing. Take your finger off the key and the sound stops dead.

    Perhaps this info could help others in my position, too.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

  6. #6

    Re: which aria player with GPO?

    Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    Forgive me, Dewdman, for hijacking your thread, but I had to ask Randy: I just purchased Dimension Pro yesterday, but it is not showing up in Aria menu. Do the files have to be saved in a certain place for this to work? I also tried importing an sfz file from Dimension into Aria. It worked, except for the fact that the release is missing. Take your finger off the key and the sound stops dead.

    Perhaps this info could help others in my position, too.
    Sounds like you don't have the most current ARIA, Owen. It's version 1.620, available on the download page at MakeMusic once you've signed in there. I think this interaction with Dimension started with that version. Everything works great for me, opening and playing Dim patches, and having it show up as menu item.

    Randy

  7. #7

    Re: which aria player with GPO?

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Sounds like you don't have the most current ARIA, Owen. It's version 1.620
    That's the version I have. Hmm.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

  8. #8

    Re: which aria player with GPO?

    Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    That's the version I have. Hmm.
    Oh dear - Have I blown it again? I can't always keep straight what's available in the current public version of ARIA and the current Beta that I'm on. I thought Dimension showing up in ARIA was put in place a long time ago - I couldn't verify it just now, but I guess maybe that's only still in this Beta version. That has to be it, if Dim isn't automatically showing up for you, Owen. Sorry!

    Randy

  9. #9

    Re: which aria player with GPO?

    Now wait a minute - The current version of ARIA is 1.625, not 1.620 as I said earlier on this thread. The ARIA engine update was available a full 6 months ago, when you install the free Sforzando player from Plogue:

    Free Sforzando

    After that time, the download at MM was SUPPOSED to be finally updated to that version,--I just checked, and it's not there, 6 months later. There's always confusion because we say ARIA, but there are actually two components - the ARIA Engine, and then the ARIA Player which will differ, depending on the Library or Libraries it's been programmed for.

    You can install Sforzando, and that will update your ARIA Engine with a number of bug fixes. But having Dimension appear should be in a Player update - I don't think getting the newer Engine will fix it. ARrrrgh - I'm still confused.

    Randy

  10. #10

    Re: which aria player with GPO?

    Randy: No, sadly, installing the sfz didn't make DP appear. Guess I have to wait until the version you are beta testing goes live. Thanks anyway!
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •