• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: KH Brass Demo by Doyle Donehoo

Share/Bookmark

Re: KH Brass Demo by Doyle Donehoo

Interesting demo. But by all means. Use the g-town tambourine - not machinegun fire same note - to make it sound a little more real. Its VERY monotomous. I can hear you use other g-town samples - and I presume tambourine is g-town too.
    Rest is fine. Seems to have nice trombones. However I think Sam Trombs have more bite to em - until I am proven wrong...

Love - Chris

Nice work Doyle If i have to critisize it would be the static tambourine (as Lewis said) and that some of the shaker notes are kind of sloppy.

Have to ask, which sound or sounds do you use for that solo melody at 03:11? sounds cool

/Tobias

Doyle,

Nice \'space\' around the sections. What verb did you use? I like your evolving dynamics. Let us know the solo instrument.

The only section that peeked its head out for me were the strings (I am battling that right now with GOS). Everything else (maybe excepting the tamb which you\'ll easily change) sounds terrific. BUT the strings sound somewhat synthy.

Seems like the sample developers are nailing the brass, percussion, piano, etc. BUT just not getting there on Strings IMHO. Hopefully there are better choices in the upcoming months.

I really like your writing. Are you using this segment on an upcoming score?

Rob

\"BUT just not getting there on Strings IMHO. Hopefully there are better choices in the upcoming months.\"

Huh? With GOS and SI Strings, is this a valid comment? Just curious...

nope its not valid IMO [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

both those libs have enough to make some great sounding strings [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

in this demo however, I think some of the weakest patches on GOS are being used (Lite and full string Sordino)

The sordino patches in SI are superior, IMO, to the GOS ones, especially in the upper range.

and the full GOS patches make a difference in the softer dynamics.

I agree with Munsie. String libraries are definitely getting there. Of course it won\'t become any worse with VSL and EWQLSO coming soon But brass and woodwinds are IMHO still the sections that havent been covered well enough yet. DDBE, SAM Horns and SAM Bones will get us a lot of the way though - and yeah those two small libraries coming soon too I am sure

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    nope its not valid IMO [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

both those libs have enough to make some great sounding strings [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

in this demo however, I think some of the weakest patches on GOS are being used (Lite and full string Sordino)

The sordino patches in SI are superior, IMO, to the GOS ones, especially in the upper range.

and the full GOS patches make a difference in the softer dynamics.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">King,

You\'re making me want SI Strings. I must concede that GOS is so much better than anything before it (with the exception of the way Thomas J \'tweaks\' his Roland strings). It\'s just that I find myself spending the bulk of \'tweaking\' time (not composing time) making the strings sit nicely into the mix. With minor tweaks, libraries like Sam Horns, Vota, LOP, etc. just expedite the process - allowing me more time to write. I know - I am lazy!!

Rob

well it depends on the piece IMO.

I think GOS is fantastic, and works wonders out of the box (or little EQ) more than SI in some cases, but then there are cases that SI kicks its butt.

There are also cases where ultimate strings works better than both [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

thats just the point, all of them have their strong points and weak points, not to mention some just \"take\" better to different performances.

I have a ton of string samples here, and access to some of the stuff coming out, and I can tell you right now, they make me want to puke because I know I\'ll be using these as well!

GOS updates, SI updates, VSL, QLSO, they\'ll all be getting some use out of me. I know this for a fact. KHB on the other hand, I haven\'t put in my budget (its being spent on new machines), but its possible I\'ll pick it up at some point.

anyhow, they\'ll all have their \"places\" in my music. No library will make all other libraries obsolete. Its just impossible. They will all offer different sounds. I mean I still pop in AO on stuff.

Obviously for \"template\" work it doesn\'t help to have 8 different string sounds, but for \"color\" it does, since most libraries can be mixed in with each other pretty easily...especially strings in heavy orchestration.

Have to ask, which sound or sounds do you use for that solo melody at 03:11? sounds cool
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, it\'s very haunting and beautiful. C\'mon and share, Doyle!

Please [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Dasher

Go Back to forum