• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Reflections on composing & business. Jeremy Soule leads on...

Share/Bookmark

Reflections on composing & business. Jeremy Soule leads on...

Dear friends.

I think it could be interesting have a good fair debate about composing and how to make a business out of it. I found a good and large mp3 interview with Jeremy Soule. I would like some opinions on it - if anybody cares. Personally I like to hear these sort of things - and I love to hear how people translate issues of composing into business and business arguments. I think you will find it rather interesting in those perspectives.

Jeremy Soule interview (mp3):

http://www.xgr.com/article.php?article=2240

Love - Chris

Re: Reflections on composing & business. Jeremy Soule leads on...

Thanks Lewis, for this link. Jeremy Soule is a great guy, and I know this great story.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    I will listen to this soon.

It would be nice if they would interview good composers though, as I have no interest in hearing the thoughts of a pretentious, full-of-himself, generic composer such as Jeremy Soule.

Welcome back Composer22 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I happen to enjoy Jeremy Soule\'s music. I think he\'s way ahead of many people in the industry.
    I bet you don\'t like John Williams either. Is he pretentious too? What\'s your idea of a good composer? Penderecki?

Thomas

Originally posted by Lewis:
    Dear friends.

I think it could be interesting have a good fair debate about composing and how to make a business out of it. I found a good and large mp3 interview with Jeremy Soule. I would like some opinions on it - if anybody cares. Personally I like to hear these sort of things - and I love to hear how people translate issues of composing into business and business arguments. I think you will find it rather interesting in those perspectives.

Jeremy Soule interview (mp3):

http://www.xgr.com/article.php?article=2240

Love - Chris
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Chris (Lewis??)

Thanks for the sharing of this interview. I will take a listen at my first chance.

Rob

Hehehe. Lets not get the good old i-hate-john-williams-because-he-had-more-succes-with-being-banale-discussion going on. Thomas_J in my eyes you are just as good and your sense of melody seems to go quite in hand with Williams. Thats a big compliment! Jeremy Soules is not the next Williams - you are.

That being said I really must agree. I think the interview is INTERESTING. Because the composer seems to translate simple arguments such as: \"I use gigastudio\" into \"the technology I am using is very special. Each instrument is up to 3 gigabyte in its size...\" I cant figure out how much I like or dislike Soules. He has a nice sense for creating the right moods. Thats a BIG quality. On the other hand his sense of \"theming\" is not as sharp in comparison to Thomas_J or Williams.

When I say \"Theming\" I mean the \"Williams feeling\" for haunting themes.

Love - Chris

Actually I think John Williams is one of the best film composers working today. He knows his stuff. He draws from a huge variety of styles, past and present, and he does it with great skill. He writes memorable themes, writes interesting and complex orchestrations and captures the appropriate mood better than most composers working today. Jeremy Soule does none of this. He has bland orchestrations, obviously drawn from the limited amount of music he\'s actually heard. He writes what he thinks is classical orchestration, not what it actually is. He gets his ideas by listening to other film composers, instead of the composers that the film composers he\'s inspired by draw from. He rarely creates the appropriate mood in the projects he scores because he\'s too concerned with impressing himself than with scoring to the story and subtext.

Um... does it really matter where one draws their inspiration from? Saying that it is necessary for someone to draw their inspiration from only the true classical composers, that just seems a little too dictating on your part.

No, I suppose it\'s not necessary, but I was just giving logical reasons as to why his music sucks. However, not studying who and what has been done before you in an art form you plan to participate in extremely limits your ability to create something that isn\'t a poor regurgitation of what someone else has already done.

One thing that is a solid factor for his music being bland in your opinion is age, he is only 26 and comparing somebody to John Williams which is like 80 years old is kind of childish. Face it age does matter, JW has had alot of time to compose and study. If you look at the statistics, most of the best composers are like 45+ (as far as I have read). Anyways, I personally enjoy Jeremy Soule\'s music. I have listened to a great deal of music and I have never really heard anything too similar.

Take for example, my music, yeah it sucks now, but in a few years I will start making good compositions. Trial and error is also a big factor in my opinion. I have composed about 500 pieces (of course not all complete), but I have learned from them all, everybody starts somewhere.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast