• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Music: O little town of Bethlehem

Share/Bookmark

Music: O little town of Bethlehem

Hi all, here\'s my newest arrangement of the well known Christmas hymn \"O little town of Bethlehem\".

Url: www.falcon-creations.com/mp3/OlittleTownofBethlehem_mp3.mp3 (6.5mb)

I\'m not completely happy with the mix - specially I would want to find a way to make the trumpets more real.

Anyway, please tell me what you think of the arrangement, mix, midi programming, reverb etc.

Btw. this is not the final mix, so please keep that in mind.

There are more arrangements in mixing stages, if you are interested to hear more.

Btw. if you think the arrangement sucks then just tell me - I\'m a big boy I can handle it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

For those who are interested the arrangement is for:

2 Flutes
    2 Oboes
    2 Clarinets
    2 Bassoons
    2 Horns
    2 Trumpets
    2 Trombones
    Strings

Ps. Hopefully it will shine through that I\'m trying to express the meaning of the text with the orchestration etc. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Music: O little town of Bethlehem

bump! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

At first I was excited when I saw this posted as its my favorite Christmas Carol - but its the vastly different American version! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

O, sorry Hasen - I can hopefully cheer you up, because I\'m also doing an arrangement of the other version. However, don\'t know if it will be finished before this christmas. But I shall try to finish it for you. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, no comments on the arrangement? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hi falcon,
    I like where your going with your work! I love that song and I think your arrangement has a lot of potential. That said, I have some suggestions.

1) overall tempo too slow .
    2) your strings are too loud. The strings can easily hog up all the acoustic space in a mix, and a little volume for them goes a long way. Try cutting them -6db, and I think you will be surprised at how the W.W.\'s and brass open up.
    3)use less verb on the brass and WW\'s.

Hopefully that will give your trumpet some room to breathe.

That\'s my two cents worth, take it with a grain of salt. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rick

I thought it was a very nice arrangement. But I don\'t understnad what meant about the trumpets not being more real.
    What woodwind library are you using? I have need to get a woodwind library someday.

Hi RickD, thanks - yes, this arrangement should work really well for live orchestra. This is also one of my favourite Christmas hymns.
    Well, I personally like this tempo but it\'s just a matter of taste - of course if played by live orchestra the tempo would be more free. However, I tried to put some expressions with tempo.
    I\'ll try your tip about cutting the strings \"loudness\" of few db.

kitekrazy, thanks - It\'s somehow more difficult to get the trumpets real when played P or MF, at least I think so. Maybe I don\'t have good enough trumpets, but still they sound ok but not real.
    I\'m using Westgate Woodwinds.

Thanks for giving me your comments!

Originally posted by falcon1:
    O, sorry Hasen - I can hopefully cheer you up, because I\'m also doing an arrangement of the other version. However, don\'t know if it will be finished before this christmas. But I shall try to finish it for you. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Awesome! I really look forward to that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, no comments on the arrangement? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sorry I only listened to a few seconds of it so I can\'t really comment..

It seems like everyone likes the Westgate Woodwinds and it doesn\'t really break the bank.
    What trumpets are you using?

kitekrazy, I use BOB for my brass needs and it\'s overall good quality and easy to work with.

Go Back to forum