Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO | DIVA BY DESIGN Users Demo

Share/Bookmark

GPO | DIVA BY DESIGN Users Demo

I am proud to introduce...

http://www.alanjoseph.com/WidowOfWar.mp3
    or
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/WidowOfWar.mp3

This song is the result of an online collaboration between myself and Daniel Moy. I composed the score using the GARRITAN PERSONAL ORCHESTRA exclusively, then sent my score to Daniel and asked him to sprinkle in a little DIVA-BY-DESIGN magic! (I have DIVA I just haven\'t had the time to master it as Daniel has.)

We went back and forth taking turns on the mixing and mastering and have come up with the completed track above, \"Widow Of War\".

Again, the only libraries used were GPO & DIVA-BY-DESIGN...

Enjoy,
    AL

Re: GPO | DIVA BY DESIGN Users Demo

http://www.beladmedia.com/faq-home.htm

It is performance files and other goodies from the DIVA recording sessions (all in 5.1 Surround Sound).

AL

Nice work guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Stupid question... was ALL the percussion from GPO? WOW
    FB

Good stuff, however, I would really like to hear this piece with much less reverb. I find that the sounds are too washed out (including the voice) for me to really appreciate them and the piece. Might you consider posting a dryer version please?

I asked for Gary\'s feedback and he said -
    \"where\'s the verb?\" Sort of like, where\'s the beef? LOL

So, I went a little nuts....

Yeah. I could do a remix later today if enough people are interested. Nonetheless, thank you for the feedback.

BTW, Frank, ALL of the percussion is from GPO, except the wind chimes at the beginning, those are from DIVA-BY-DESIGN (but I guess you figured that one out, eh? [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

AL

Neat, I like it, i like it alot [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I find that my Giga work usually ends up with far more reverb than intended. It sounds good at my computer, but when I burn it to CD and move far away from the incessently whirring fans, we discover I\'ve drowned it in verb.

That\'s one of the reasons I\'m so excited about GPO - it\'ll work on my laptop, which, while still silent, shouldn\'t color the sound so dramatically.

Seriously, my PC is like a chorus of hairdryers backed by jet engine...

-----

Good piece! I don\'t know if people are waiting for the remix you hinted at before commenting on it, but I really like this one.

(maybe they couldn\'t find anything to complain about? it\'s eerily silent around here...)

Compositionally, it reminded me of some artists I used to listen to quite a bit on the Narada label. I\'m thinking Spencer Brewer (\"Trail of Tears\" in particular, if you\'re familiar with it)

Also, I hadn\'t seen the graphic before - that\'s a nice touch for giving us a sense that this is part of a greater whole. I thought \"soundtrack\" when I first heard it, and this graphic solidifies that impression.

So, yeah. Keep it up - you\'re getting pretty good at this!

Thanks to everyone who\'s listened and posted...

The graphic idea I ripped from Bela D Media\'s site, they have these really cool graphics that go with each of the songs, I liked the idea, so I did this one just to give it more of a \'feeling\'.

Thanks again everyone, please keep the posts coming, I\'ve never done an on-line collaboration thing before, but with how smoothly this one went (we finished just three days after initial contact, getting the time-zone differences and working schedules organized took the longest) I would be willing to do it again in a heart-beat! (any takers feel free to e-mail me: alan@alanjoseph.com)

How about you guys? Do you have any online collaboration stories? The good/the bad/the ugly? Feel free to post them here, I\'d love to read about your experiences...

AL

Oustanding, Alan & Daniel! This is truly a winner. It was both emotionally moving and technically proficient. There were a few moments where I forgot it was a sampled library and just \"got lost\" in the music.

Alan, I know that you got raked over the coals by your first Garritan demo, if you make another leap forward like you just did with this one, we may all be looking for jobs as valet parking attendants. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I\'m curious - where are all of the folks that piled ridicule onto your first demo? [cue sound of crickets in the background - a tumbleweed rolls through the forum...]

But seriously, I know that there is a very good collaboration space at Auxbuss, but that might be limited Cubase (and Nuendo) projects. I like the idea of collaboration, but I never find time to do my own composing, let alone get my act together with someone else in the picture. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Bravo, and keep \'em coming.

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:
    But seriously, I know that there is a very good collaboration space at Auxbuss, but that might be limited Cubase (and Nuendo) projects.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I wonder if GPO\'s included version of Cubasis is enough to get us through the door?

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:
    I like the idea of collaboration, but I never find time to do my own composing, let alone get my act together with someone else in the picture. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m sort of the opposite. I hate the idea of giving up so much creative control, but I only seem to finish things when other people are depending on me to do my part. So, I think collaborating would actually make me more productive. I\'ll definitely be giving it a try pretty soon.

Along those lines, I know there used to be a subscription based service wherein different users around the world could punch in on each other\'s multitrack recordings - it wasn\'t realtime, but there was a sort of immediacy to it anyway. This was a good seven years ago when I looked into it, so I imagine the technology has either improved vastly or been long-since abandoned. Does anyone know what I\'m talking about?

I\'d love to see something like that take hold now that we\'ve got such powerful MIDI instruments - home recording is one thing, but the time needed to stream these tracks back and forth would be near-instantaneous.

Go Back to forum