• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using Gigasampler with Cakewalk

Share/Bookmark

Using Gigasampler with Cakewalk

Hello There....
    Right now I am recording gigasamples as audio
    in cakewalk. I would really like to record
    gigasamples as midi in cakewalk. Can this be done? How?

Thanks for reading....

Re: Using Gigasampler with Cakewalk

Well, I just set my Cakewalk track\'s Port to NemeSys Midiout Port 1-4. I choose my channel in Cakewalk according to the channel in Giga that I have my instrument loaded into, arm the track and start recording midi.

I thoght it was impossible to record Giga as audio. Unless, you streamed your soundcard\'s output into its input or to the input of another computer\'s soundcard.

Hey Tony, I\'m in the same boat you are. I haven\'t got Gigastudio 96 yet, but I was wondering the same thing. I\'ve got Cakewalk Pro audio 9 and was wondering if I can hook up my midi the same way as Cakewalk with Gigastudio(midi out of my roland XP-80 into delta 1010 in, delta 1010 out into midi in of my Roland XP-80). I also am running a Hewlett Packard 667 MHz Pentium 3, 128 megs ram, and 2 hard drives. C drive for programs and D drive for audio.
    I would much rather record the gigasamples as midi files also in Cakewalk, then mixdown to wave and import them into Cool Edit Pro.
    I sure do wish Gigasampler or Gigastudio had a demo where you can try it out to see how things work before buying it.
    Let me know if you find out anymore info!
    Thanks!

Hello Damon...

I FINALLY figured it out, and you can in fact use Gigasamples as triggered midi sounds using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. Actually, its pretty easy. On certain systems, sound drivers overide others depending on which program is loaded first. On my system, I have to load Cakewalk Pro Audio and THEN gigasampler. Then in Cakewalk, I choose gigasampler as my midi port (this is for playback and I wasn;t able to choose it until I loaded Cakewalk first!!! drove me crazy!)and I place the samples I want in channels 1- 16 in gigasampler and then assign the cakwalk tracks to the same channel to hear the gigasample...confused? e-mail me if I can help

agalla@socal.rr.com

By the way, now that it works its an amazingly efficient setup and the quality of my work using samples doesn\'t compare with any other sounds that I have used!

Tony

Hey There Hanlon..

To record giga as audio, just choose audio left, right or stereo in the source box under any cakewalk track. You shouldn\'t have to change anything on your soundcard. e-mail me if I can help...

agalla@socal.rr.com

Quoting Tony B

I have to load Cakewalk Pro Audio and THEN gigasampler. Then in Cakewalk, I choose gigasampler as my midi port (this is for playback and I wasn;t able to choose it until I loaded Cakewalk first!!! drove me crazy!)and I place the samples I want in channels 1- 16 in gigasampler and then assign the cakwalk tracks to the same channel to hear the gigasample.

Well that\'s cool if that\'s working for you ,but the way Nemesys really wants you to access cakewalk [ or any other sequencer] is from with in giga studio[or giga sampler .]
    There is a tab in giga studio were you set it up for your sequencer of choice.
    So when your starting a project just call up giga studio and from within giga studio press the sequencer button.
    The reason they do that is so there won\'t be a conflict between the two programs and they won\'t be competing for midi ports.

oopps I meant Tony G

I always start Cakewalk first and then open Gigastudio. I have run into problems with when I open Cakewalk inside Gigastudio when I exit the programs although they work together up to that point. I was never able to get this to work properly in Gigasampler.

I usually record certain instruments as audio files in Cakewalk such as harp because they can easily use up 64 or more voices. This frees up Gigastudio or Gigasampler to play more voices. I then compact the audio in Cakewalk which cuts down on the bandwidth needed to play audio tracks. This keeps Cakewalk from getting dropouts and cuts out pops and clicks from Gigastudio. Hope this helps.

An addition to my last post.

I have not run into any problems with my MIDI ports running Cakewalk and then GigaStudio.

Hello Kenn159,

Thanks so much...that might seem like a basic tip that you gave, but it sure works alot better for me.

I appreciate the reply!

TonyG

Go Back to forum