• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: short test trailer music with GIO

Share/Bookmark

short test trailer music with GIO

Hi!
    this is just a quick test with no "big" development of a sort of trailer music, all made with GIO.

a total of 6 tracks were used:
    2 x strings marato
    full brass unison (for the theme)
    earth drum
    full brass unison aggressive (for the "low end" sound)
    wagner brass

what do you think?

unfortunately, I have very little time in this period so i cannot develop the song. but this was done in about 15-20 minutes, most of the time spent on mixing...

https://soundcloud.com/bosone-2/orchestral-test-trailer

edit: here's the latest version (see latest post):

https://soundcloud.com/bosone-2/test-trailer-5

Re: short test trailer music with GIO

Quote Originally Posted by bosone View Post
    Hi! This is just a quick test with no "big" development of a sort of trailer music, all made with GIO...
    AH ha! There's your first bit of Instant Orchestra - I've been waiting for it, Bosone - Nice! You got your epic, movie trailer, IO groove going on that really nicely.

I think there's a bit of over-saturation, sound breaking up a bit in a few spots? Good demo though!

Hope you find time to explore your new box of toys again soon!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by bosone View Post
    Hi!
    this is just a quick test with no "big" development of a sort of trailer music, all made with GIO.

a total of 6 tracks were used:
    2 x strings marato
    full brass unison (for the theme)
    earth drum
    full brass unison aggressive (for the "low end" sound)
    wagner brass

what do you think?

unfortunately, I have very little time in this period so i cannot develop the song. but this was done in about 15-20 minutes, most of the time spent on mixing...

https://soundcloud.com/bosone-2/orchestral-test-trailer
    Pretty cool start. Somebody's been listening to Hans Zimmer, haven't they? You used H. Zimmer's favorite key and interval: d minor and a minor 3rd from d to f, plus the string ostinatos, of course lots of percussion, but alas no woodwinds... Keep going and let's hear some more of the development of this piece. Rodney

Hello bosone! I'll echo Rodney on this, I instantly recognized this as the style of Hans Zimmer. For something you say you put together so quickly, this sounds excellent! I also hope to hear more of your explorations or creations with IO.

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Definitely Zimmer-esque. There's a little bit of clean up required on the bottom to mid end. The drums, low string ostinato and other trace elements will build up and create a muddy bottom.

If you listen to the very end of the piece, you hear that rumble as the drum tails off? Well that rumble is all the way through your piece creating that muddy element

EQ out the bottom of the reverb and do low cuts on the instruments around 30hz. If the low strings and the drums are occupying the same frequencies then cut the strings a little to give the drums more room.

By comparison, the brass generally sounds very clear to the other instruments. Drop the brass on playback and ask yourself 'how clear are the other instruments?'
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

hi!
    Thanks for the kind comments!
    well, the mix must definitely be better, i did not pay so much attention right now.
    i hope to find some time to work on the piece and add maybe an intro, an end and some other phrase... maybe just 1 minute will be enough...
    but just "as is" the sounds are relatively good... let's see what i will manage to do!

This was really helpful for me. I am contemplating getting IO, and this gave me a good idea of what can be accomplished fairly quickly.

Thanks for posting
    Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

glad to be of help!
    actually, i think that for quick sketches GIO is really perfect. i'm not a pro composer but according to how it is organized, GIO let you achieve a full and good sound with really little effort.
    what is lacking, IMHO, is a better control of the sound parameters (like GPO), that would permit to achieve a better realism. (there is a recent post of mine in the discussion section of the forum)

obviously, we are not speaking about vienna symphonic library here regarding realism, but i still feel that GIO should mimick GPO controls.

another thing i should point out, is that is not "so easy" to understand and tell what is there in GIO. and, even now, i still have some problem in describing the library, its content and its possibilities.

one possible description is that GIO is a synth/rompler with orchestral-based sounds. a sort of "EMU proteus" with steroids. samples are really good (IMHO), but it lacks some of sampler-controls (like GPO, as I said) that could permit to achieve a better orchestral realism (for example to avoid machine gun effect!).
    instead, there are a lot of controls (attack, decay, sustain, release, filter cutoff, saturation...) that are more suitable to a standard synth than to a sampler dedicated to orchestral soudns and realism.

in any case, if you need a quick way to do orchestral sketches and traliers with some compromise on realism, I would suggest you to buy it... maybe waiting for a diso (180$ are a bit overpriced IMHO!)
    on the other hand if you are looking to realize realistic orchestral parts then think twice and focus on another product, maybe...

if i can help further let me know!

PS: you can read my GIO review here:
    http://www.timespace.com/product/vie...ue=&list_type=

ok... enough work for today:

https://soundcloud.com/bosone-2/cine...test-trailer-2

still have to refine the synths parts, to work out something slightly different in the break and write a decent end.

mixing and fine-arrangment of the parts is still do be done...

but i'm quite satisfied with the structure and the themes.

... i just want a big aggressive choir, now!!!

Thank you, bosone, for the detailed information. For me, there are two controls on GPO that have made it possible for me to achieve a good level of realism - controlling volume via the modulation wheel which also affects the timbre (brilliant move), and using the sustain pedal to control legato. I presume that such is not really available in IO? I am thinking that IO might be a future purchase when the need arises to be able to produce super-quick sketches.

IO is currently being sold on Ebay for $118 by a company that appears to be selling an unsold clearance lot of Garritan products for somebody. Even at that price, I don't think I can justify it right now! At least until I actually get a paid commission.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast