• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Attn: How Do You Solve a Problem Like the MIA?

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Attn: How Do You Solve a Problem Like the MIA?

From the \"worst decision\" thread:

You know, I\'ve been thinking. I have a pretty good friendship with Echo, and this just doesn\'t sound like the kind of thing they\'re about. What I am hearing surprises me a little, because their Giga-support has been A-1 since the beginning. I can speak with them about this, and try to get the issues you\'re having in the right hands.

Here\'s the deal though: All of you guys with Mias who are having problems need to come through on your end, describe your problems in detail, and be willing to test drivers if they come up with anything--in short, doing what it takes to solve it on all sides. I\'ll start another thread (under that title) and we\'ll try to get to the bottom of this.

Deal?

Please sign in below, and let me know who you are, how to contact you (so I can get your e-mail to Echo), what problems you\'re having, what other hardware is in the machine, and what driver you\'re using currently (unsuccessfully).

The more detail you can provide, the more able (and willing) the engineers will be to spend their time on it...and the better case I can make to them for looking into it.

The people at Echo are nice, generous, and friendly. I can tell you for a fact that nobody there has it out for musicians, or would like the fact that people buy their tools and have problems. You will get a resolution, I am sure, but the key to it will be honest, civil dialog. So, here goes, and let\'s hope we do some good.

Best regards,
    Bruce

Re: Attn: How Do You Solve a Problem Like the MIA?

Bruce,

I had the MidiMIA on my new soundcard shortlist as I thought that all the problems were in the past!

I\'m sure you know that Martin Walker of Sound on Sound fame is an owner and expert of the standard MIA. Or at least he was. Quite a bit of MIA stuff in the SOS mags and on the SOS website.

BTW I just love your ingenious play on words for your proposed Title. Nearly worth writing an article just to use it! That is a play on \'Sound of Music\' words isn\'t it? It even scans! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Frank

Bruce:

Sign me up! I\'ve just about written off my new machine for music production.

I was not aware that there was a general problem with Mia. In fact when I first got the computer I switched my Darla 20 card from the old computer and downloaded the 6.08 XP Darla20 driver.
    GS160 wouldn\'t work correctly. Since the driver was a beta version, and I could use two cards anyway, that\'s when I bought the Mia, thinking a card with a proven driver would solve the problem. Gs still didn\'t work!

Computer: Dell Dimension 2350 P4 2.4ghz
    Audio Card: Echoaudio Mia with 6.08 driver.(unsigned)
    Sequencer: Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.0
    Midi interface: Midiman Midisport 2x2 w/XP driver

Symptoms: they vary, but generally GS160 will work OR audio tracks will play from sequencer.
    Can\'t do both at the same time*. Sometimes GS160 doesn\'t sound, even with indications of midi activity.

*on the Darla 20, \"multi-clent\" selection would fix this. No such option on the Mia.

There has been a thread in the software part of the forum on similar problems, but with no definitive resolution. ( I think a couple of people were successful after reverting to a 6.04 Mia driver, but that didn\'t seem to fix my problems).

BTW, in looking at my hardware configuration I see that on the two hard drives I\'m running, the boot drive is NTFS, but the drive with gig storage is FAT32.

Carl
    carlmsmith@aol.com

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    \"How Do You Solve a Problem Like The Mia?\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ve owned an Echo Mia for Sixteen Going on Seventeen months. It\'s one of My Favorite Things along with drinking Yagermeister in leather lederhosen. In my experience, the latest drivers work under ME and W2k but not XP. So, I Climbed Every Mountain, so to speak, and started reverting to earlier drivers and after installing 6.04, I heard the Sound of Music (it\'s all uphill from here - promise). I Have Confidence In You helping solve this problem Bruce. I\'m also certain these puns are as lame as a man with a wooden leg named Smith - opps, wrong JA musical.

BTW, Phil Scheid of Echo told me they have heard of the problem, many are experienceing it, they cannot reproduce it in-house (bummer) and are waiting for Tascam to send them some information (bummer).

Sorry this post was - so long, farewell, auf weidersehen adieu. Adieu, adieu, to you and you and you - enough already!

This is good info guys. Anyone who can contribute to this, especially with these kinds of specific symptoms, hardware info, etc., will be VERY helpful towards getting some resolution.

As far as the Tascam information is concerned, Craig, can you ask your contact to perhaps join us over here to give us some specifics (or send them to you)? I can shoot this directly to the development team, and perhaps get the ball rolling.

Best regards,
    Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I\'m trying to run a Mia MIDI with the 6.08 drivers. The rest of my machine looks like this.

ASUS P4C800 Motherboard
    P4 3Ghz
    2GB DDR Ram
    2 Barracuda SATA drives
    Radeon graphics card
    Windows XP

The card works fine with everything else - ASIO drivers work exactly as they should, and MIDI input in Cubase is fine.

The symptoms I got were that GS160 simply wouldn\'t do anything at all. It did claim to be set up with the Mia as a MIDI input, but wasn\'t actually seeing the MIDI data from it. The MIDI activity indicators were greyed out. I couldn\'t even use Gigastudio\'s virtual keyboard - when I tried the keys didn\'t change colour, no sound, no nothing. There were no other programs running at the time, so I don\'t think it was a problem with another application requiring the MIDI driver.

Going back to the 6.04 driver seemed to solve the audio problem, but I think this driver predates the MIDI version of the card, so now I have no MIDI input at all in any applications.

Hope this helps

Pingu

Also, anyone who is having SUCCESS, please share your info. Perhaps there is some subtle setting that is helping/hurting? Any and all information will help build the complete picture.

Good info, Pingu!!! Thanks for the details. Keep \'em coming, guys.

Best regards,
    Bruce

I can\'t contribute on this one but I enjoyed that cs!

Frank

Bruce,

I have 3 Mia cards that I support at work (not the midi version). All of them are installed in Dell Precision Workstations. I have never had a minute\'s problem with any of them. I did have a problem in my machine that I thought might be related to the Mia card. The symptom was that the sound would just stop for no apparent reason. I spoke to Echo support and they were very helpful, but we got to the point where there was nothing else to try. I have a LOT of hardware in this machine, including a DVSTORM II video capture card that does heavy bus mastering and uses a lot of power. As it turns out, the Dell power supply was inadequate for a machine that was loaded with extra hard drives and all the slots full. I replaced it with a new 400 watt power supply from PC Power and Cooling, and have not had a single problem since. This is a common problem with Dell machines as their power supplies are not designed to handle the full complement of accessories that one may add to a music workstation. I was convinced that the problem was with either the Mia or the DVSTORM card, but fortunately the machine started to shut down randomly for no reason, and that lead me directly to the power supply.

BTW the Mia does not have a multi-client check box in the applet, but it DOES have multiple virtual channels that allow you to assign a different device to each program that uses audio. That allows all programs to function at once with sound.

-- Martin

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast