• Register
  • Help

Topic: Nicodé's "Gloria!"- world first recording of the greatest romantic symph.ever written

Nicodé's "Gloria!"- world first recording of the greatest romantic symph.ever written

Between 1902-03 Jean Louis Nicodé composed his "Gloria!" Symphony with the highest ambitions a composer of his time could ever have and a solid knowledge and expierience as composer and conductor.

You can listen the whole "Gloria!"-Symphony at klassik-resampled.de

For those who can not spent 123 minutes to hear the whole, there is a first overview with short examples from all six parts in a 10 minutes "Gloria!"-Youtube-Trailer.

OK "greatest" is of course my humble personal opinion.

Meanwhile this symphony is infact the largest symphonic composition ever written between 1815 and 1910 (epoch of musical romantic).

No symphonic work by Mahler, Havergal Brian or Schönberg was longer, and which is the most important. Nicodé was definitly able to make even great, inspired and powerful music out of the appr. 250 000 notes to be played during more than two hours by approx. 200 musicians.
    (All is done with VSL, with EW-Choirs and Zero-G-Prima)

I hope you like it

Re: Nicodé's "Gloria!"- world first recording of the greatest romantic symph.ever wri

Absolutely outstanding. You know the ins and outs of orchestral matters. Engineering and mixing are excellent. Of course, the Achilles' heel is the high strings, as in all of the libraries out there. But all the rest of the orchestra sounds very realistic. The music, well, to me it has the characteristics of the post Wagner period and before WWI. I can hear some Bruckner and even some transition period harmonies, such as in Reger's works. Some Richard Strauss also transpires at times, and of course, some of what Mahler did later. But this doesn't degrade the music because in spite of these elements creeping in, the author definitely carries an original streak. In a way, his case is similar to some of the great Russian composers of the turn of the last century, such as Skriabin, Rachmaninov and Glier (Third Symphony). They all have some common stylistic traits that pervade their work, yet all of them have absolutely great personal musical language.

Go Back to forum