• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Fine Example

Share/Bookmark

A Fine Example

I been thinking about that \"oral\" Star Wars. Yes, we all laughed. But there\'s more to it than that, I think. I experienced something...else, something more important. It could be responsible for making us laugh, and it\'s something that is missing in the best of mock-ups. Yes, I\'m talking about the...\"human element\". And by Thor, the chanted Star Wars has got plenty of it. Although comical, this version brings forward the same emotions as the real Star Wars performed by the LSO. And I received those emotions. I was aware of them while I was listening. It did something mentally. Even the best of samples can\'t recreate what these amateur voices accomplished. In other words, you can play \"the tune\" with samples but the samples only play notes. The samples don\'t know that they\'re playing Star Wars or...Midnight Cowboy! That\'s the difference. I think it\'s stunning. I hope you felt it too.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Re: A Fine Example

I also found the art behind the humor. My wife, on the other hand kept saying \"make it stop!\". To her it was only obnoxious.

My 12-year old, on the other hand, laughed himself sick. His quote after hearing it was: \"the guy who did this is awesome, but completely crazy\".

\" The samples don\'t know that they\'re playing Star Wars or...Midnight Cowboy! \"

Alex,

I hate to be a stickler, but precisely what do you mean by the above statement?

Marko

Interesting observation.

Originally posted by Marko:
    \" The samples don\'t know that they\'re playing Star Wars or...Midnight Cowboy! \"

Alex,

I hate to be a stickler, but precisely what do you mean by the above statement?

Marko
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">For example, during the recording sessions of Star Wars, all the musicians are focusing and concentrating on one thing, and today that\'s playing Star Wars. The work (the music) itself, the composer and the conductor have certain wishes on how it should be played and how it should sound, and the musicians play their instruments accordingly.
    Now, when the next week, the same people are playing Midnight Cowboy, they have got their collective mind set on playing Midnight Cowboy (perhaps with the directions of John Barry). They\'re not just playing straight sustained notes or individual attacks or marcatos. Instead, they use their knowledge and technique to play any given melody with the right kind of emotion. I think it\'s called \"soul\".
    I hope this explains it a little bit, though I\'m sure somebody else can do a better job at it than me.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Go Back to forum