• Register
  • Help

Topic: Basic Key-Switching questions

Basic Key-Switching questions

I\'m so close to getting this right it hurts, but keep hitting dumb walls. I\'m hoping someone here might be kind enough to shed some light on this for me.

I\'m trying to create some really simple key-switches for a bunch of different instruments in the AO (akai) woodwinds, and then extend this on to SI strings patches to combine legatos that I like, etc. I figured if I learned how to do it with the AO winds, I\'d be okay. So I searched the included tutorials in GSEdit, as well as the basic Help stuff, and then searched the net for additional stuff, and even got a very straightforward nearly step-by-stepper in the SI forum for combining two patches and switching via soft pedal controller.

All of this has culminated in me being able to finally do some very basic things in the editor, but I\'m not quite there yet.

So, here\'s what I\'m trying to do, and what I\'ve actually done. I\'ll use the AO Oboe as an example:

I decided ahead of time which piano key would switch to which patch, and layed that out in a text file for future reference. (I\'ve done this for all AOWW insts now). Basically -

1st Oboe (2 .gig files)

- 1st Oboe Solo Basic.gig
    KS: C3 = Long Tone 2-Layer p – f
    C#3 = Solo Vibrato
    D3 = Staccato 1
    D#3 = Staccato 2
    E3 = Trill (Major)
    F3 = Trill (Minor)

-1st Oboe Solo FX.gig
    KS: C3 = Grace Note Up 1 (Major)
    C#3 = Grace Note Down(Major)
    D3 = Grace Note Up 1(Minor)
    D#3 = Grace Note Down (Minor)
    E3 = Mordent Up 1 (Major)
    F3 = Mordent Down 1 (Major)
    F#3 = Mordent Up 1 (Minor)
    G3 = Mordent Down 1 (Minor)
    G#3 = Run Up (Major)
    A3 = Run Down (Major)

1) So now I know \"what\" I want to create, and I go to try. I\'ve run into a couple of basic problems. For the Solo Basic.gig, I start by loading my newly \"combined\" layered .gig file of the p and f patches.

2) Then I \"merge\" the Vibrato, Stacc\'s, and Trill .gig\'s into the same file. Now I\'m staring at the patches I want to combine, and I hold down \"ctrl\" while I click on each one of them, until they are all highlighted blue in the top left-hand corner. Under \"Edit\" I select \"Combine Instruments.\"

3) I name the new instrument, and under the \"Using this controller...\" option, I select \"Keyboard.\"

4) Then there\'s nothing left that I can see to do but click \"Okay.\" This leaves a newly combined instrument in the Instrument Bank window, which I save as a new .gig file and go to test. (Already knowing something MUST be wrong with what I\'ve done, because I haven\'t gotten to specify which Dimensional \"Keyboard\" notes would activate which patches.

--------So of course this method fails. I tried another way of doing it--------

I tried using the Instrument Wizard, and had more success in some ways. I select all the patches in the Instrument Bank I want to combine, and then press the triangular InstWiz button.

1) I rename the instrument, and set the \"Dimension key start\" and \"end\" points. (in this case for the oboe basic, I set them to \"C3\" and \"F3,\" respectivley. I hit the \"next\" button.

2) It asks for a range to \"operate on.\" I\'ve got a question about this one, since some of the patches I\'m working with have different ranges. Do I just pick the lowest note of all the patches, and the highest note of all the patches? I\'ve been doing that, but I don\'t think that\'s correct.

3) Now I have to decide between \"Automatic region sizes\" or \"Create regions every __ half steps.\" I honestly have no idea which to do, and regardless of which one I select, a pop-up window will tell me, \"Warning: the range you have defined overlaps at least one exising region, which will need to be deleted. Continue?\" If I wanna go further, I must hit \"Yes.\" (Again, I\'m thinking this is not what I\'m wanting.)

4) Now it wants me specify my Dimension layouts. This is something I wasn\'t able to specify when I was just \"combining\" instruments via \"Keyboard.\" So, under the first \"Description\" field, I type \"Keyswitch\" and set the \"Controller source\" to \"Keyboard.\" Under splits I set \"8\" for this instrument, since there are 6 swithes.

5) Next I click the appropriate \"State Names\" box. For \"1\" I type \"C3 Long\", for \"2\" I enter \"C#3 Vibrato\" and so on, until I\'ve listed all the patches. I repeat the final two fields, simply to fill up the 8 dimensions. I leave the \"State Names\" window, and return leave the \"stereo\" box unchecked, since these are all mono samples (I believe).

6) The final step here, I put the patches in the order I want them, assigned to the key I already filled out for the State Names, and hit the \"Finish\" button. I \"save as\" and exit to test.

Conclusion: When I get it loaded into GS to play, there are no key-switches, and the notes aren\'t spanned correctly (even if the range \"looks\" correct on the screen, the sounds are all off.)

Okay, so I\'m sorry for the lengthy post, but it\'s difficult to ask for help with something this complex, especially via text. If anyone would like to attempt to tell me the many things I\'m doing wrong, I would greatly, greatly, appreciate it. If I don\'t get a single response, I\'ll also understand. I just had to throw this out there just in case.

Whew... gunna take a nap now. Thanks,

Re: Basic Key-Switching questions

Hey Mike,

The editor only lets you \'combine\' two instruments at a time. That\'s probably why your first approach doesn\'t take - you\'d have to build up the keyswitched instrument from a few smaller combined subsets.

There\'s a tutorial on building a keyswitched instrument using the wizard in Kevin Phelan\'s new version of the help file. You can get it here:

I\'ve also simply pasted the tutorial (without the pics) below:

What is Key Switching?
    Key switching is just another way to control which samples are invoked by a keyboard region (like using a mod wheel to switch between snares and toms in a drum kit). In key switching, you can use an \'inactive\' keyboard region to switch the samples assigned to the \'active\' keyboard regions. String instruments may use a key switch to change the keyboard from strums to plucked sounds (and vice versa).

Organizing Your Samples
    There are many ways to create an Gig format instrument. This example will use the \'Instrument Editor Wizard\'. One shortcut when using the wizard is to organize your samples by dimension (For example, Forte velocity samples in one folder, Mezzo samples in another). For this tutorial, we will put the samples we want controlled by keyswitch#1 in one folder, KS1, and keyswitch#2 samples in the KS2 folder.

To begin, we need to create a new instrument, by pressing on the icon or choosing (File, New) from the menu bar. Next, right mouse click in \'Wave Pool\' window of the editor to bring up the context menu shown at the right, and select \'Import Directory\'. This will invoke a browser so you can select the directories containing your samples. Browse to the KS1 directory and press \'OK\' in the browser. A KS1 folder and its associated .wav files should appear in the Sample Pool window. Repeat this process to import the KS2 directory. Finally, right mouse click on the \'Default Sample Group\' folder in the sample pool window (as shown below) and select \'Delete\' so that only KS1 and KS2 remain in the sample pool window.

Start the Wizard & Set the Switch Regions
    Now that there is a sample pool to work with, press the icon.

Note that the \'Name\' has been changed from \'untitled\' and the \'Dimension key end\' has been set to \'F1\'.

For Key switching, the \'Dimension key start/end\' values determine the range of key switches. In the above example, 2 keyboard regions (E1 and F1) will act as the switches that will change samples on the active keyboard regions. If you are not going to use the \'Keyboard\' as a dimension controller (ie not using key switching), then the \'Dimension key start/end\' values are ignored.

The other fields are beyond the scope of this tutorial - refer to the electronic manual for more details.

Wizard - Step 2
    Specify the Active Regions Next.

This example only has 13 samples for each switch, so the active is set between C2 and C3, inclusively. Note that the active region does not overlap the keyswitch region (E1-F1) specified in the last step. The samples in this example all have the same unity note, so the \'Ignore Unity Note\' checkbox is set. If this is not done, then the same sample will be spread across all regions.

Do NOT set the \'Finish with this step\' checkbox, or we will not be able to specify the key switch dimensions.

Wizard - Step 3
    Specify the Key Switch Dimensions Next.

You may wish to choose a more meaningful description than \'Key Switch\', but it will do for now. What is important is that you select \'Keyboard\' from the controller drop down. This specifies the \'Key Switch\' dimension. We only have 2 sets of samples to swich between so there are 2 splits. \'Splits\' increases by powers of 2, so if you had 3 or 4 sample sets, you would have to choose \'4\' splits. For 5 to 8 sample sets, you need 8 splits.

Check the \'Stereo\' box if your samples are stereo or mixed stereo/mono.

Click on the \'State names\' button next to the dimension you are working on to specify names of the different states (this will make the next step much less confusing). In this example, we will specify \"KS1 E1\" for Split \'1\' and \"KS2 F1\" for Split \'2\' to indicate the folder and keyswitch we want to associate.

Wizard - Step 4
    Specify the Key Switch Dimension Associations.

On the left is a list of the folders you imported into the sample pool at the beginning of this tutorial. On the right, under \'Key Switch\' are the \'State Names\' you created in the previous step - one for each split.

By clicking on \'KS1\' at the left; and \'KS1 E1\' on the right (as shown with the lights), \'KS1\' is assigned to \'KS1 E1\'.

By clicking on \'KS2\' at the left; and \'KS2 F1\' on the right (not shown), \'KS2\' is assigned to \'KS2 F1\'.

NOTE: The first Key Switch is the \'Dimension key start\' value specified in \'Wizard - Step 1\' (E1) shown above. The last Key Switch is the \'Dimension key end\' value specified in \'Wizard - Step 1\' (F1) shown above. If we had specified a larger range, more Key Switches would have appeared here (in sequential order).

Press the \'Finish\' button to make the Wizard layout your Gig Instrument.

Viewing the Dimensional Layout
    After the Wizard lays out your samples and sets up the dimension map, it displays the active regions of the keyboard.

Note that the region map shows 13 active regions spanning C2 through C3. Below the region map, the dimension map shows the \'ks1\' sample (mono, covering all velocity ranges) is occupying the 1st half of the \'Kybd Key Switch\' dimesion for the C2 region (highlighted in the region map).

This indicates when C2 is played after the E1 key switch is played, that the ks1.wav file will be played.

If you click on the right half of the \'Kybd Key Switch\' dimension, you will note that the \"ks2\" sample is now assigned to the same highlighted region.

This indicates when C2 is played after the F1 key switch is played, that the ks2.wav file will be played.

Press the gs button to download your new instrument for GigaStudio. You should \'Save As\' \"KeySplit\" when prompted, and then close the editor.

Viewing the New Gig File in GigaStudio
    Launch GigaStudio and type \"Key\" into the QuickSound search window. Your new \"KeySplit.Gig\" file should appear in the loader window. Double click or drag/drop this file to Port1/Channel 1 of the Midi Channel Window and then select the \'Loaded Instruments\' tab. You should see KeySplit.Gig layed out on the virtual keyboard.

Note that C2-C3 are active regions (white/black keys), and all other regions are inactive (grey keys). The two purple keys are the key switches (E1 and F1).

Initially, if select C2-C3 you will hear the samples from your KS1 folder.

If you select F1 with your mouse and then select C2-C3 you will hear the samples from your KS2 folder.

If you select E1 with your mouse and then select C2-C3 you will again hear the samples from your KS1 folder.

Thanks Chadwick. Yeah, I was working from that updated help file, and it was mucho helpful. I think the problems I\'m running into have to do with the fact that I\'m trying to combined pre-existing gigs, rather than making them from scratch as the tutorial discusses. The biggest part of that problem seems to stem from pre-set regions. I always seem to end up screwing those up if I use the Inst Wizard to do anything.

My successes have been simple ones. As you said, using \"combine\" works on two isnts at a time, which works great for taking a \"p sample\" and layering it with a \"f sample,\" which was a fundamental thing I needed to do with the akai AO woodwinds.

But when it comes time to try to do a key switch, I have to use the wizard, and I always screw up the regions.

Yeah, I admit it. I have a puny mind. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] But I intend to learn this, regardless of the psychological repercusions. So, if there are any helpful tips regarding the \"regions\" step of the Inst Wiz that might help me get underway again, I\'d be grateful for them.

Mike, once you have combined your two instruments, layering them via keyboard...as you have been doing....then you have to perform one more step. Right click on the new combined instrument that you want to keyswitch, and select properties from the window that opens. That is where you set the dimension key start and end. Click apply. Then save. And it should work.

ROB!!! HAHA!!! You\'ll forgive me, I\'m finishing up music for final exams and getting NO sleep this week so I\'m already delirious with exhaustion... This woke me UP!!! Thank You! And thank you!!! And omg... Thanks!!!!

(that was the missing instruction, and your right, it works!)

You are my personal hero, sir. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum