• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Quick Tutorial and a Tune

Share/Bookmark

A Quick Tutorial and a Tune

I put together a quick tutorial on adding user defined sounds to aria that show up in the menu. It turns out to be a supported feature but there is a simple way to get it going. As part of the tutorial I posted a fixed version of the Yamaha Recorder that was posted some time back but now it can show up in the Aria menu.

There is also a tune in there that show how well GIO works with the Soundiron Micro Choir ( a neat little library).

Hope you like the tutorial and the tune.

Link to the short tune:
    https://app.box.com/s/bj27l3vetc3fyzdlr2w7

Link to the download folder:
    https://app.box.com/s/dvjhnijdrsrgh6dq83rh

Re: A Quick Tutorial and a Tune

Great stuff, Jim!

The demo of that choir in your clip sounds really nice, and your tute is perfectly clear, simplicity itself.

I know you've worked with the concept of adding 3rd party SFZ instruments to ARIA's menu for some time. Previous to this, it's been possible but kind of a hassle to make new menu items. Now, once again, that free Sforzando Player from Plogue proves itself to be invaluable. Installing that updates the ARIA Engine so that the Garritan ARIA Player benefits from bug fixes and updates.

An example of an ARIA Engine update that directly effected me - At some point, the Garritan ARIA Player's programming had part of its Pitch Bend opcode broken, so my SFZ instrument, The Autoharp, no longer worked properly. Reporting that problem led to the opcode being fixed in the ARIA Engine programming, and installing Sforzando fixed the problem. As of this date, I'm not positive if this updated Engine is still what people are getting at MakeMusic when they look for and install the most current ARIA Player update available at MM.

BUT now you've discovered something else very cool about Sforzando that I wasn't aware of before. I hope people take a look at what you've written:

--People, basically Jim has found that by simply setting the files path location for an imported SFZ instrument in Sforzando makes a new ARIA Player menu category appear - "User." With all of your SFZ instruments in one folder location, they'll all be available in that new category.

What I've been doing is just using the Import function in ARIA, the process you've found "annoying"--hehe - I've always had all of my SFZ instruments, like my Autoharp, in one program folder which is inside my Sonar master folder. It's called, "SFZ Instruments" - So I've never had any trouble importing since all of my 3rd party instruments are in one location. I click "Import" and the list of all my instruments shows up.

Now, with one simple step, that SFZ Instruments folder of mine should show up in ARIA under User - Great!

Super, Jim - Thanks!

Randy

EDIT: Instant update - After writing the post, I opened Sforzando, clicked on the Settings tab, clicked the button for setting the file path and it said "Please select the file path for your SFZ instruments"--couldn't be simpler than that. I directed that browser window to my SFZ instrument folder - Ta Da! Now I have all 40 of my 3rd party SFZ instruments available in the ARIA Player menu. Slick!

Hi Jim,

Nice job on the audio demo ... it absolutely drips atmosphere!

And thanks for sharing your knowledge for integrating SFZ's w/ Aria.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    I put together a quick tutorial on adding user defined sounds to aria that show up in the menu. It turns out to be a supported feature but there is a simple way to get it going. As part of the tutorial I posted a fixed version of the Yamaha Recorder that was posted some time back but now it can show up in the Aria menu.

There is also a tune in there that show how well GIO works with the Soundiron Micro Choir ( a neat little library).

Hope you like the tutorial and the tune.

Link to the short tune:
    https://app.box.com/s/bj27l3vetc3fyzdlr2w7

Link to the download folder:
    https://app.box.com/s/dvjhnijdrsrgh6dq83rh
    You are a life saver. Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    You are a life saver. Thanks for the information.
    This is a very cool thing that Jim discovered awhile back - The way the free Sforzando SFZ Player from Plogue provides an extremely simple way to have SFZ instruments added to your ARIA menu.

Tom, When you asked in General Discussion how to open the Micro Choir in ARIA, I gave you the quick and easy reply to use Import, not wanting to complicate things by talking about downloading and installing Sforzando if you didn't already have it. Both ways work to open a 3rd party Library in ARIA, and, as you understand, Sforzando offers the way to then have that Library permanently show up in your ARIA menu.

Since Jim posted the info about this, I haven't added most of my SFZ instruments to the menu, because it would make the list too long. It's just as easy, for me, to use Import, since when I click that it always automatically opens the "SFZ Instruments" folder I have on my hard drive. I have easy access to all my stuff, without my ARIA dropdown menu getting too long.

So far, with the instruments I have, and this could be true of Micro Choir also, no extra controls or other advantages come up from having things listed in the ARIA menu. Apparently some instruments will have more controls available this way, but I haven't found one yet.

I just wanted to make sure you understood that you have an option, to simply Import an SFZ instrument, or have it always listed there in your ARIA menu. Opening up an instrument either way takes the same amount of time--virtually zero seconds. It's up to you how long you want your ARIA menu to be, based on how many non-Garritan SFZ instruments you're accumulating.

Randy

Go Back to forum