• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best Newer sample set? GOlv, Opus 1?

Share/Bookmark

Best Newer sample set? GOlv, Opus 1?

I own the Miroslav, but they are so difficult to work with as many seem out of tune with each other (Brass vs Strings).

I\'m thinking about Opus 1, or the Gold edition (looking to spend about $1000).

My needs: in this priority.

1. Film Type (Big Hollywood type) (Williams), (some dark (elfman)

2. Big Band

3. Classical 1800\'s.

Thanks, of course, having the most control is good, but the GOld demos are simply amazing.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Best Newer sample set? GOlv, Opus 1?

Originally posted by chocothrax:
    Is it just me or is the \"Death Creek\" mp3 for gold the wrong mp3? I get \"Galaxy\" when i click it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks for bringing this to our attention - it had the wrong link - it\'s fixed now.

- Doug

Originally posted by retroz:
    My needs: in this priority.

1. Film Type (Big Hollywood type) (Williams), (some dark (elfman)

2. Big Band

3. Classical 1800\'s.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have the full EW/QLSO and the full VSL Pro Edition. I haven\'t heard Opus 1 because it\'s not yet released. Based on what I\'ve heard, since Gold is a derivative of the full Platinum, you can do film and 1800s (Classical era) extremely well as the EW demo for Beethoven\'s Fifth demonstrates.

As a big band jazz writer (I had my own big band for many years) I\'m thrown by the second desire. I would say, if you know this style, that you could do a Kenton Neophonic sound with Gold (no saxes).

Now, if you\'re looking to do lush arrangements in a more \"Streisand\" style, then Gold will more than do the job. While you do lack the saxes, you do, on the other hand, have the more \"cool\" sounds of flute, alto flute, plus solo clarinet, et al, to enable you to create very elegant sounding solo and sectional sounds. For example, two alto flutes + two clarinets in four part harmony, 2 flutes + 2 clarinets in four part harmony, Tpt + flute 8va in octaves, etc., are some typical combinations you can easily execute in Gold.

You might also want to consider Quantum Leap Brass since it has specific jazz applications.

You\'ll also need a piano (Post Bosendorfer 290), and you should ask Doug or Nick what CD set they\'d recommend for a strong jazz drum set. The new Drumkit From Hell looks quite amazing.

Style Note - Swing
    Unless you\'re an extremely good keyboardist, keep in mind that to get classical musicians to swing on West Side Story, Leonard Bernstein worked out all the swing/jazz feel in 12/8. Depending on your sequencer, this may be something to keep in mind.

So then perhaps I am correct that the Gold does sound \"that\" good. The demos are amazing.

Does the Gold contain layers (I\'m assuming yes, 2/3 part layers triggered by velocity), of course it won\'t have the Legato tool as in VSL, but it seems that maybe, the Gold will be more \"instant\" to work with.

Its brilliant!. It appears to be fully layered and chromatically sampled with some really great programming from the EWQL team. The difference between the Gold and the platinum is that the former only has one mic set for the most part (which I\'m perfectly happy with at the moment because its the studio set) and 16-bit instead of 24. Sounds lovely and clear to me whatever.

I\'ve raved about it on the other forum and I sincerely meant every word [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by T Parks:
    I\'ve raved about it on the other forum and I sincerely meant every word [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Which other forum if you don\'t mind me asking.

Thanks.

>> \"Style Note - Swing
    Unless you\'re an extremely good keyboardist, keep in mind that to get classical musicians to swing on West Side Story, Leonard Bernstein worked out all the swing/jazz feel in 12/8. Depending on your sequencer, this may be something to keep in mind.\"

Ha! I\'ve written a few pieces this way. Glad to see I\'m in good company :-) Now that I have Sibelius, I just tell it to swing the performance, and I can write things straight.

I\'m going to pick up QL Brass. The Giga version is on sale right now.

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000710

If you want saxes, check out VSL\'s Saxophone 1 demos. Amazing. Too bad it\'s only two of the four axes.

Greetings.

Has anyone ever compared the SI strings to the Gold Edition? How do these two (string sections) stack up?

I\'m wondering if the Gold are as good as the SI, but with the full orchestral as well.

Cheers,

fe

Originally posted by retroz:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by T Parks:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Which other forum if you don\'t mind me asking.

Thanks.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The EastWest forum.

RE: Sonic Implants and Gold strings.

The Gold are very much equal to the SI strings in quality and there are some very tasty 11 vln patches that are just as intimate . I know I\'ll be using both but I could easily make do with the Gold set without anything else if need be (except perhaps the GOS because of its huge variety of techniques not covered elsewhere).

Go Back to forum