• Register
  • Help

Topic: Random Freezes! Urgent advice needed

Share/Bookmark

Random Freezes! Urgent advice needed

I\'m trying to troubleshoot a computer at the local studio that has GigaStudio 160 installed (patched to 2.01.something). I\'m desperate to fix the random freezes problem: GS freezes the pc completely (no blue screen or error messages, cold reboot required) at random. If I leave the GS running, not doing anything, after 30min it\'s 100% that the PC will be frozen. But it can happen any time, even after 5 min, during work or idle.

The PC configuration is following:
    Athlon 800Mhz
    EPOX EP7KXA (KX-133 chipset, 4x AGP, UltraATA66, latest BIOS)
    Western Digital 10Gb IDE UltraDMA33 (Windows 98SE and GigaStudio - all fresh install)
    Maxtor DiamondMax 40 Plus 40Gb IDE 7200rpm UltraATA66 with 80-pin cable (for Gigs and Audio, formatted with :z/64)
    192Mb RAM
    TB Multisound Pinnacle (also tried with Soundblaster Live value - same thing)
    Guillemot Prophet 3D (GeForce 256 SDR 32Mb) video (latest BIOS)

I installed fresh Win98SE (3rd time now), flashed fresh BIOS to motherboard and video, tried disabling sound acceleration, exchanged soundcards, lowered mamory speed settings in BIOS, tried installing VIA drivers for AGP and bus mastering and tried running with defaul drivers, enabled and disabled \"dma\" option in windows and tried more or less everything I can think of. GS overall stability has improved, but the random freezes still occure frequently,
    rendering it unuseable for serious work. All other applications are rock-stable and there are no IRQ or other conflicts.

If anyone can advise, please do. I\'m desperate to make it work. They have given up on this PC and stick with hardware samplers, but I really need GS for my project.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate your help.

Re: Random Freezes! Urgent advice needed

RomanB,
    I had similar problems before. Try this: in the Control Panel folder under \"Power Management\", make sure the \"Power Scheme\" is set to \"always on\"; make sure the \"turn monitor off\" setting is set to \"never\". Also make sure the screen saver is turned off. I find these things freezes up my GSt.

Thanks for the reply, but I have all the power management disabled both in BIOS and Win98SE...

1> Check the TB Multisound Pinnacle, latest driver? system.ini (EXCLUDE addr space), IRQ jumpers set to manual? check autoexec.bat, config.sys. Why? to get the Pinnacle+SB-LIVE+Giga could be not simple! Try not load the Pinnacle in system to isolate its problems?
    2> It seems to be possible in the hardware, like fans, pwr-supply over-load, the hardware-card is not sitting in the slot properly, CPU, cable, mem, harddrive, etc.
    3> Try CMOS setup at DEFAULT (no over clock, no custom core-voltage setting, PCI, etc)

Hope this helps!

Try running a system diagnostic program like Norton (probably supplied with your motherboard CD). Maybe you have dud memory, or perhaps there is some software drivers that are \"floating\" in your machine. In my machine I had crashes because a modem tried to install its drivers twice, and the second stub was left floating.

I posted this in another thread, but it relates to this one too...

I\'m still getting GS160 to crash on me too. I\'ve tried WindowsME and old Windows95. Still crashola! It seemed like one of the recent updates fixed it, but now with the newest one, it crashes again. I don\'t get error messages though, in WindowsME, the computer just reboots when it wants, but only when I allow the GS background applications to keep running. In Windows95, the system just freezes.

Since more than one or two people are experiencing this problem, I don\'t believe it is due to hardware failures on their systems. It\'s probably due to some combination of video or other driver with GS160, since some people are working fine. However in my case, I\'ve tried very clean installations without stuff like virus scanning or other background apps.

Ron

I don\'t have this kind of problems. If you can run the Giga in background without any problems, though maybe your system is running out of the resourses (Mem, CPU) in somehow.
    Let\'s say the first time when you reboot the system, make sure you don\'t have any application windows even explorer, how many %CPU available you have? (under System-property, performance) you should have about 75~85% (assumed cache = 15~25% of RAM), my experience to load each programs while monitoring the system performance, you need at least 10~25%CPU available to keep the system more stable. Just a reference, I have about 33%CPU when It is running three applications at same times (Cakewalk, GigaStudio, Hardware-DSP), you also see the performance on the GigaStudio as well. Of course when the system is running into its limited, you will get all kind of clicks, cracles, PCI-OverFlow, etc

Anyway, one thing you can try: Under the system-Property-Performance, click the \"File System\" on setting, choose the Network Server then turn the slider to all way to right (Full). On the Virtual Memory, I have sellected \"let Window manage...\", I could try this as well. (assume you turn off the Hardware Acceleration, I have about 33% setting).
    you are right that the problems would be the combination. The best way I see is you need to find out which one is the trouble maker, then start from there...Turn off all other applications and un-load the hardwares which are not related to the audio-recording.
    Hope this helps,
    Regards,

Go Back to forum