I\'ve just completed a short woodwind quartet.
I used the Westgate Woodwind Collection,
The piece is titled \"The Four Broiders\":
I wrote the composition in Sibelius, then played
the parts into Cakewalk at 2/3 speed. I used the
I found that I needed a minimum of articulations
for this neo-baroque style. The velocity layers
provided more than enough variety. All voices
rely mainly on the vibrato sustain patch, except
the clarinet, which is non-vibrato.
I tried using a fader for expression, but found
that I needed to be more exacting for this piece.
I kept some fader stuff, but drew most of the
expression control by hand.
The last step in the sequencer was to add a touch
of variation to the tempo. I then rendered the
four tracks from Giga.
During the mix (in Vegas, after normalization) I
found that the flute and oboe had a bit too much
in the dynamics department. Rather than re-tweak,
a bit of compression did the trick. I also applied
some subtle EQ to each track to help give the
players some space.
For reverb I mixed to two busses - one for the
center instruments (flute, oboe) and one for the
sides (clarinet, bassoon). Each bus got the
acoustic mirror treatment with a touch more
wet and a few more feet of pre-delay for the
sides. I like the overall sound, but after
setting it aside and re-listening, I think I
went a bit too wet on the mix. Oh well.
I didn\'t need any overall compression. And I only
used a touch of mix automation to balance the
tracks. The dynamics are 99% due to velocity and
Thanks for listening. Let me know your reactions.
Oh yeah, I let the players breathe at least
once every four or five measures. They may be
turning a bit blue by the end, but I think it\'s