• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cloning your system

Cloning your system

Thought I'd share this-

I had an 80 Gb system drive and it has become full. I have no idea what most of the stuff on it was. So, long story, I got a new bigger drive. Now to transfer everything over, passwords etc - oh my. BUT my son found Clonezilla.

Its free and doesn't run under windows but as a boot disk and makes a copy of your C: drive - an exact copy. Place the new drive in, wire it up, boot up with the DVD drive, make the copy, reboot on the new drive 240 Gb. Unplug the old drive, keep as spare. Done - everything seems to work no need for passwords, registration code etc - all done in a hour.

Worth making a note of the name for future reference - its FREE
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Re: Cloning your system

No doubt very useful, especially when free.

I invested a small amount in Acronis True Image which allowed me to do the same but from 250 to 750 GB!
    No DVD's involved, just reboot when you've told it how you want the partitions set up.
    It goes into DOS mode, then when the clone is made, reboots into Windows.

Acronis also does backups etc. which is why I chose it.

The downside is that it puts some junk onto the PC which has to be stopped from running using the services.msc system utility. Otherwise it can affect performance.

Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Re: Cloning your system

I have a Maxell transfer cable. Like John, I invested a small amount in it (on the recommendation of the PC tech who saved my wife's system a year ago).

It's simple to use (finds the remote drive itself), works on USB2 and can be used on Linux and Mac OS as well as Windows (provided both drives are the same)

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Go Back to forum