• Register
  • Help

Topic: PC Memory with 8000 MB Ram?

Share/Bookmark

PC Memory with 8000 MB Ram?

When will it happen? Maybe they are already here amongst us but too expensive, I don\'t know, I don\'t read PC magazines so I\'m a bit in the dark about it. I don\'t want to buy a new PC only to find out that a new generation with 8 GB Ram is waiting around the corner. Any prognoses? I\'m hoping Giga 3.0 will be able to adress the full 8 GB memory.
    One computer to tame them all! (Those huge libraries, I mean.)

Thanks

------------
    Alex Cremers

Re: PC Memory with 8000 MB Ram?

Hi, I think that it is possible right now - dont know if 8 but 4or 6 sure. But it´s tooo much expensive.
    For example - 512 MB ram Costs 1/4 of prize of 1000Mb RAM, what is a thievery

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

You need a 64bit O.S. to address 8gig of ram. There are 64bit o.s\'s around now for server applications, plus the Mac G5 and Longhorn when it is released will be 64bit too.

Hi, I think that it is possible right now - dont know if 8 but 4or 6 sure. But it´s tooo much expensive.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Are you sure? I know about 4GB Ram but 8GB? If it is already possible then that\'s good news!

My Microstar Neo2 Mainbord Support up to 6Gb of RAM...

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    You need a 64bit O.S. to address 8gig of ram. There are 64bit o.s\'s around now for server applications, plus the Mac G5 and Longhorn when it is released will be 64bit too.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So it\'s not released yet? 64bit O.S.? Do we have to wait for Bill\'s new toy? I thought Mac was already capable of doing that. Anyways, I\'m a PC user so...

------------
    Alex Cremers

for using more than 4GB of ram we definitly have to wait for a 64-bit os, but afaik there will be a 64-bit version of windows xp coming next year. with that, and an athlon64 it should be possible to address more than 4GB, but if gigastudio3 should be able to handle more than 4GB of ram too, it should also be programmed as an 64-bit application. i don\'t think that it will be 64-bit when it\'s released, but i think it\'s just a question of time, before we will see an 64-bit version.

btw: the g5\'s are now capable of addressing 8GB, but for example EXS can\'t use more than 4 of these 8GB\'s.

rainer

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Keep in mind that there are other ways in which an application might provide the same benefit without sending you to the RAM store...at this juncture, it might be interesting to pause, reflect, and see what comes to light in the next month or so.

Check out these babies, PC users....www.go-l.com/desktops/machl38/features/

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    Keep in mind that there are other ways in which an application might provide the same benefit without sending you to the RAM store...at this juncture, it might be interesting to pause, reflect, and see what comes to light in the next month or so.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You\'re right. To tell the truth, that was my initial plan, wait for Giga 3.0 and then decide. But it would be good to know where PC technology stands for the moment, or better, where it\'s going in the near future.

Rainer, thanks for your thoughts. 64 bit, hmmmm, sounds interesting.

Rich, damn, these are monstrous babies at monstrous prices!

------------
    Alex Cremers

Go Back to forum