• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dimension Pro Strings SFZ and Bank for ARIA

Share/Bookmark

Dimension Pro Strings SFZ and Bank for ARIA

Hello everyone I just wanted to share the Dimension Pro - Strings SFZ files with everyone. These will allow you to use the beautiful strings from Dimension Pro with Aria. However, you will have to do the steps shown in my tutorial first (excluding the instrument and sfz file portion).

Basically, you have to create the directories, place the main files in both of the custom instrument folders. Please read the folder paths carefully in the below pictures. You will need to copy the dimension pro strings section into custom instruments folder (one inside library GPO, IO, WI, ETC) and then rename it to just "Strings" You will need to copy the SFZs in the file over the original Dimension Pro sfzs for the strings.

You will also need to overwrite the bank file in GPO (unfortunately I only included the GPO banks at moment, I will make more later for the rest of the libraries). NOTE: Make a backup of the bank that is being replaced, just to be safe.

If you need help please feel free to PM me or post a reply, it can be quite the task, but worth it in the end!

PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS TUTORIAL BEFORE DOING ANYTHING:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...274#post723274

Files:
    http://www.save-tara.com/Dimension-Pro-Strings-SFZ.rar
    http://www.save-tara.com/Dimension-Pro-Strings-Bank.rar

Re: Dimension Pro Strings SFZ and Bank for ARIA

While I greatly admire the work done ( I did something like this ), in the newer editions of aria we can just use the user defined menus using the tutorials I posted without modifying aria at all. This is safer and archives the same effect.

Thanks for the post.

Nice! The easier the better! Would it be possible to get a link to those tutorials?

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    While I greatly admire the work done ( I did something like this ), in the newer editions of aria we can just use the user defined menus using the tutorials I posted without modifying aria at all. This is safer and archives the same effect.

Thanks for the post.

OH - Is that what this is all about, Richard? I thought you were doing something to get more controls to show up on ARIA's Controls tab for Dimension Pro - If you're just trying to get it to be in the menu, instead of using the Import function (which is almost as fast) - then Jim's correct, that this is a done deal now. I thought you were doing some opcode programming or something to give more control to Dim's instruments when opened in ARIA - That's why I said in the PM to you that for me it works to simply open Dimension alongside ARIA in a project, and that way I have all the controls in that sophisticated Dim interface. You have a full envelope to shape the sounds, can add layers, use built in FX, several other things that can't be done if you open Dim instruments in ARIA.

But, here's Jim's current thread in the Listening Room where he explains how to very easily get things like Dim to show up in ARIA's menu:

SFZ Instruments as menu items in ARIA

Randy

Hi Randy,

No, I am for all control. My method is about getting full control not just the menu part. My tutorial puts the instruments in the menu and brings all controls. My understanding was that jdsnyderii's method is suppose to bring full control and menu as well. Maybe there is a misunderstanding. But the key definitely is for all the controls to show up. The bank file I shared is vital because the controls such has EQ and interface is defined in that portion. It is indeed complex, but when done properly it will be useful, My Black Grand has benefited ffrom this the most! Using Kontakt was an enemy for me!!! Aria is the way to go. Unfortunately, user instruments aren't the easiest to implement into it (for full functionality).

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    OH - Is that what this is all about, Richard? I thought you were doing something to get more controls to show up on ARIA's Controls tab for Dimension Pro - If you're just trying to get it to be in the menu, instead of using the Import function (which is almost as fast) - then Jim's correct, that this is a done deal now. I thought you were doing some opcode programming or something to give more control to Dim's instruments when opened in ARIA - That's why I said in the PM to you that for me it works to simply open Dimension alongside ARIA in a project, and that way I have all the controls in that sophisticated Dim interface. You have a full envelope to shape the sounds, can add layers, use built in FX, several other things that can't be done if you open Dim instruments in ARIA.

But, here's Jim's current thread in the Listening Room where he explains how to very easily get things like Dim to show up in ARIA's menu:

SFZ Instruments as menu items in ARIA

Randy

You can get any CC control to show up. The EQ may be difficult to get to work since that it truly Aria. But that can be done via an EQ outside aria as well and you will get better results anyway because that can be controlled by the DAW you are using. So, to me the net effect is the same using the tutorials in my link.

Given the changes in Aria to prevent this kind of tampering, I am too nervous that I will break aria bank and have to reinstall. Just my $0.02.

Jim

OK! So we're seeing several different methods to skin this particular cat - to use an an old-fashioned and somewhat unsavory expression.

What you're doing Is for getting Dim's controls in ARIA, Richard - thanks for the clarification.

And Jim's recent discovery about the really simple way to get 3rd party SFZ instruments to show up in ARIA is very slick, and it's the method that Plogue, makers of ARIA, developed.

The 3rd method would be my "keep it simple!" approach, since working up music projects is complicated enough just on the face of it. I work in Sonar, and if I want any Dimension instruments in a project, I just insert an instance or two of Dim in the same project, right alongside my ARIA instances. The complete set of controls are there for the using in the very complete Dim interface.

The nodes of that Amplitude envelope in the screenshot can be grabbed and adjusted, with the visual aid helping you understand what you're doing. The particular sound I have loaded has three layers, "Elements," as they're called in Dim. There's a tab for each element, so each component of the sound can be modified. Notice there's a 4th slot if I wanted to add yet another layer. There are excellent built in FX if I want to use them, plus filters, a Drive control, EQ, every control imaginable. I can also turn on the Multitimbral mode so that all 4 Elements are on separate MIDI channels. And so forth.

I think it's great when users figure out ways to tweak and customize the tools they use, so I'm not denigrating anyone's efforts. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents which is that if I want to use Dimension in a project, I just load a Dim instance. For me, there isn't an advantage to having the sounds inside ARIA, since I'm dealing with long lists of VST instruments in any project anyway. I'd rather work with the controls as they are utilized in a VST's original interface, and then most of my work is actually done with all the controls in my DAW software anyway.

Randy

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your tutorials and downloadable files.
    Most of yesterday was spent getting this to work, but I finally achieved success.
    The Dim Pro strings library now sits underneath World Instruments for me.

Along the way I decided that I wanted to maintain the Garritan library structure with samples sitting separately.
    It meant working through all the DimPro sfz files putting something like the following:

<control>
    default_path=$sample_dir\DimProStrings\1st Violins Espressivo Vel 1\

at the start of the file, along with your one line modification to incorporate the controls,
    and replicating it within the file where there were two sample sets being used.
    It also meant removing the direct link to the library in the <region>.
    (Thank heaven for WordPad search and replace!)

Here's an example of '1st Violins Espressivo 2v'.

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    // sfz Definition File
    // Version 2
    //
    // © 2005 Cakewalk Music Software
    // All Rights Reserved
    //-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<control>
    default_path=$sample_dir\DimProStrings\1st Violins Espressivo Vel 1\

#include "C:\Program Files\Garritan\Custom Instruments\Custom_Instrument_Setup.sfz"

<group> hivel=87
    <region> sample=v1lt1g3-s1-1g3.wav key=g3 hikey=g#3 tune=4
    <region> sample=v1lt1as3-s1-1a#3.wav key=a#3 lokey=a3 tune=22
    <region> sample=v1lt1c4-s1-2c4.wav key=c4 lokey=b3 tune=28
    <region> sample=v1lt1ds4-s2-1d#4.wav key=d#4 lokey=c#4 tune=20
    <region> sample=v1lt1fs4-s2-4f#4.wav key=f#4 lokey=e4 tune=30
    <region> sample=v1lt1a4-s2-1a4.wav key=a4 lokey=g4 tune=20
    <region> sample=v1lt1c5-s3-1c5.wav key=c5 lokey=a#4 tune=9
    <region> sample=v1lt1ds5-s3-1d#5.wav key=d#5 lokey=c#5 tune=22
    <region> sample=v1lt1fs5-s3-1f#5.wav key=f#5 lokey=e5 tune=25
    <region> sample=v1lt1a5-s4-1a5.wav key=a5 lokey=g5 tune=9
    <region> sample=v1lt1c6-s4-3c6.wav key=c6 lokey=a#5
    <region> sample=v1lt1ds6-s4-1d#6.wav key=d#6 lokey=c#6 tune=18
    <region> sample=v1lt1fs6-s4-2f#6.wav key=f#6 lokey=e6 tune=25
    <region> sample=v1lt1a6-s4-1a6.wav key=a6 lokey=g6 tune=12
    <region> sample=v1lt1c7-s4-2c7.wav key=c7 lokey=a#6 tune=12

<control>
    default_path=$sample_dir\DimProStrings\1st Violins Espressivo Vel 2\

<group> lovel=88
    <region> sample=v1lt2g3-s1-1g3.wav key=g3 hikey=a3
    <region> sample=v1lt2c4-s1-2c4.wav key=c4 lokey=a#3 tune=12
    <region> sample=v1lt2ds4-s2-2d#4.wav key=d#4 lokey=c#4 tune=12
    <region> sample=v1lt2fs4-s2-2f#4.wav key=f#4 lokey=e4 tune=12
    <region> sample=v1lt2a4-s2-2a4.wav key=a4 lokey=g4 tune=14
    <region> sample=v1lt2c5-s3-1c5.wav key=c5 lokey=a#4 tune=5
    <region> sample=v1lt2ds5-s3-2d#5.wav key=d#5 lokey=c#5 tune=17
    <region> sample=v1lt2fs5-s4-1f#5.wav key=f#5 lokey=e5 tune=17
    <region> sample=v1lt2a5-s4-1a5.wav key=a5 lokey=g5
    <region> sample=v1lt2cs6-s4-1c#6.wav key=c#6 lokey=a#5 tune=7
    <region> sample=v1lt2e6-s4-1e6.wav key=e6 lokey=d6 tune=7
    <region> sample=v1lt2g6-s4-2g6.wav key=g6 lokey=f6
    <region> sample=v1lt2as6-s4-2a#6.wav key=a#6 lokey=g#6 hikey=c7 tune=-4

As you can see, I came up with my own directory structure and naming.
    Once I've tested this out I may well have a go at some other libraries I have for DimPro;
    DSF Mega Pack - Orchestral
    DSF Studio Orchestra and
    DSF Virtuoso.
    They had a special offer over at Cakewalk some while back with the complete DSF libraries at a massively reduced price. Couldn't resist.

Thanks again for "showing the way".
    All the best,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Congrats John! I am glad you put this to good use, and you are welcome glad I can contribute something useful to the community! I kept the directory structure basic to help less confuse people! But you figured it out, and I am sure you know this is soooooo handy!!!! Aria is a solid engine and deserves more credit... as I keep saying... I am not a fan of kiontakt... not at all. Aria is my favorite and having instruments play in it is essential. Cheers!

Note: I posted a reply yesterday which took me about 15 mins to type, and it was all gone after server was busy lol. Basically, I wanted to say thank again you Randy for sharing the info on the multiple midi channel option for Dimensions. Before you brought this up a couple of months ago, I had no idea you could do that.

Hey Jim, I understated the concerns involved in this process that I made, and I agree it can be risky, but it is up to the users to make their own decisions. I have programming experience and it kind of comes as second nature to me so I guess it is hard to see how others would take this in. With my method, though, they can reap a lot of benefits such as an individual EQ per instrument. It is a lot easier to do this in Aria then making several different audio channels in a DAW. It really becomes a pain. So having Aria as a main host for EQ and such is beneficial. I also believe errors in handling accur if you don't register the instrument into the banks. I had problems with release not working, but I will give this another test to be sure. But again, I agree, if you are not comfortable with this procedure I highly recommend not doing it, but the rewards are great if you succeed!!!!

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    ...they can reap a lot of benefits such as an individual EQ per instrument. It is a lot easier to do this in Aria then making several different audio channels in a DAW. It really becomes a pain. So having Aria as a main host for EQ and such is beneficial...I had problems with release not working...
    Ah, I'm understanding better now why this has become so important to you to have Dim's instruments in ARIA instead of in the Dim interface where EQ and every control imagineable is available, and there's no problem with the release. It's because you're not doing your mixes with separate audio tracks. You're using just the first stereo pair out of ARIA, bypassing most of the audio tools in your DAW software, and so you need to rely on doing as much as possible in ARIA.

A lot of people do work that way, like Graham "Plowking" has produced most of his tracks that way. It's really beyond me how people manage to do that, I wouldn't even know how - well, not literally, but working with audio tracks is so critical to me after years of working that way. When I've tried to do leave it just to the output from soft synths, the results are OK, but much less detailed than what I want.

More power to you guys who can make that work! I just wanted to say that I've been a bit perplexed why using Dim instruments in ARIA could be so important, when you have even more control over Dim's instruments when you load instances of Dim itself. I wasn't looking at the idea from your perspective, and now I understand better. You want to keep the audio tracks in your projects to as few as possible. My projects, on the other hand, average between 40 and 60 audio tracks. It's the only way that works for me!

Randy

Go Back to forum