• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: a bug in GIO??

Share/Bookmark

a bug in GIO??

perhaps i have found a bug in a GIO instrument:

strings: alt bows short attack: the first Eb, E, F in the double bass register does not work in alternate mode: you press once the note and the second time you play it there is silence!
    anyone know how to solve the bug and "reprogram" the patch??
    thanks!

Re: a bug in GIO??

Quote Originally Posted by bosone View Post
    perhaps i have found a bug in a GIO instrument...anyone know how to solve the bug and "reprogram" the patch??thanks!
    Yes sir, you have found a bug indeed. I can confirm what you found.

I looked at the SFZ file for that Instant Orchestra patch, and I see that it's a single sample involved. Well, actually there are two samples - an Up sample, and Down sample. One, or both aren't working. I didn't see anything wrong with the SFZ file programming, and the size of the audio files are correct, but I can't check what those samples actually are individually, because they're in a proprietary format that can't be open in a regular audio editor.

So, it's the one, or dual sample set used for D#1 through F1. E1 is the original pitch of the samples.

The samples are named:

"e1down_0002102C.audio"

"e1up_0002102C.audio"

For me, F1 is the most inconsistent. Sometimes, the other keys, Eb and E play correctly, but F never does.

Sometimes I get reversed polarity, with no sound on the first key stroke, but only on the second!

I tried both standard MIDI mode, and Garritan mode, and that didn't make a difference.

Perhaps related to this problem, the other patch "Alt Bows Short ATtack Release" has samples that sound off both when you hit the key and when you release it. They're something like the tremolo solo string patches in GPO, except they stay on the same pitch. In That set of samples, the F1 is the only one in the group which plays just a single note instead of the double note!--- Some sort of sample mix up between the two patches seems to be somehow involved.

AND NOW - the situation gets even more convoluted:

I tried the "Marc Sharp Attack Alt 1" patch, hoping to find an alternate string patch in IO that would work for you. Well sir! The F1 in that one isn't working correctly either---! The sound is pretty much the same throughout that patch, but when you play the F1, you do get a sound when you play the key a second time, but it's much more faint than the first hit.--- !

"Marc Sharp Attack Alt 2," which also sounds much like the Alt Bows Short ATtack patch, has a strange sound on all of the notes from F1 on down. Sometimes the action will reverse, but either the 1st or second key stroke gets you a more aggressive chugging sound.

"Marc Sharp Attack and Martele Alt" sound almost the same as your patch also, Bosone, and it has a differnt sound on the second stroke, but at least it doesn't give you silence!

There's a marked difference in all these strings patches below C2, where the basses live, and I think they're basically sharing slightly altered versions of the same samples.

But - I have no idea why you get silence on that patch!

Randy

ok, i will report all this to makemusic... :-/

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I can't check what those samples actually are individually, because they're in a proprietary format that can't be open in a regular audio editor.
    They are simple raw wav files, can be imported in Audacity with 1 click.
    Encoding: Signed 16 bit PCM
    Byte order: Little endian
    Channels: 2 (Stereo)
    Sample rate: 44100 Hz

I cannot import them in wavosaur or sonar 8.5 ...

I cannot import them in wavosaur or sonar 8.5 ...
    I don't have GIO, but I could import all other Garritan library samples with latest wavosaur. (File > Import binary file)

thanks!
    i missed the "Import" thing!
    in any case the two samples pointed out by randy seems OK...

thanks!
    i missed the "Import" thing!
    in any case the two samples pointed out by randy seems OK...
    Then if the samples are right, only their SFZ files are incorrect, so they could be fixed in a diy manner.

Smile Re: a bug in GIO??

Hi all,

I think I've found the bug after a quick look through the sfz file.

The sample is correctly allocated to three notes d#1, e1 and f1 in only two out of four places.
    I've made the modification and attach a renamed file with my initials in brackets here:
    file removed as it didn't work
    Rename your own sfz file to be found in Program Files\Garritan\Instant Orchestra\Instruments\String Patches\
    It's called "Alt Bows Short Attack.sfz"
    Then rename my file to the above name.
    my file is "Alt Bows Short Attack(JG).sfz"

This fixes just one fault, I'll re-read your post, Randy and look for others.
    Could you test this please to make sure it works okay?
    E&OE. If you choose to try this I'm not responsible.
    But it should work. If it doesn't, just reverse the file renaming process.

Regards,
    John.

P.S.

Here's another four files, where I found the same fault and hopefully corrected it.
    Please test them carefully and let me know whether they work, would you?
    files removed as they didn't work
    They are for the files as named in your post, Randy.
    If they don't can you let me know exactly how they fail.
    I'm still learning the sfz syntax.
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Great, John! Thanks for scrutinizing those SFZ files - my eyes went cross-eyed as I tried to see what the problem was. I'm not able to test what you have at the moment, will do asap, probably tomorrow. Thanks!

Randy

Go Back to forum