• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: HELP: GSt CRASHES IN MSG32.EXE

Share/Bookmark

HELP: GSt CRASHES IN MSG32.EXE

My GSt96 crashes about every 20 minutes in MSG32.EXE. It always happens in a sequence I\'m working on at the point where the Gigapiano first starts to play. I\'m using Cakewalk Express Gold that comes with SBLive pro. Turning off video acceleration has not helped. Also, using the \'lite\' Gigapiano doesn\'t help either.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Van
    www.mp3.com/VANMUSIC

[This message has been edited by Van Sotraidis (edited 09-08-2000).]

Re: HELP: GSt CRASHES IN MSG32.EXE

Van,

Are you running audio tracks on Cakewalk?

I have similar problems with Logic 4,5 trying to do audio tracks and Giga streaming.

I ended up turning off the Audio part of Logic

No, this sequence is just MIDI. Once MSG32.exe performs an illegal instruction, the only fix is to cycle power. I noticed in the properties for this exe that it was made by Rockwell. So it must be part of the Endless Wave software which GSt uses. This also means that Nemesys probably would be updating this exe as part of their ongoing development.

I used to get the same error. I think the only way I fixed it was by reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling GSt. Occosionally I still get it, but only upon closing the program.
    So you\'re not the only one to get this error.

I also get this message. It doesn\'t matter whether I use win98 or WinME. I have tried all kinds of tweaks to get rid of it. eg. BIOS, Cache settings. None have permanently got rid of the problem. I sure hope an update does it. I am out of ideas. I even suspected my memory chips. But that\'s unlikely, since others are also having the prob.

Thanks for the replies. Algae, are you using Cakewalk for your sequencer as I am? The version of MSG32.exe I have is 4.05.00.2112. The programmer must have been a RUSH fan. The description is Conexant WaveStream Message Server, Copyright by Rockwell.

I\'m still getting GS160 to crash on me too. I\'ve tried WindowsME and old Windows95. Still crashola! It seemed like one of the recent updates fixed it, but now with the newest one, it crashes again. I don\'t get error messages though, in WindowsME, the computer just reboots when it wants, but only when I allow the GS background applications to keep running. In Windows95, the system just freezes.

Hope this gets fixed soon...

Ron

I\'m using Win95 and had similar problems where the system just froze. Turning off my hardware video accellerator under the System>Performance tab \"fixed\" that problem. My video performance is poor however, without using the hardware card.

This MSG32.EXE crashing seems to be getting worse. With the same sequence running, it\'s crashing within 10-15 minutes. Up until last week, it would sometimes work for a couple hours. Not sure if this is related to the Version 22 update to GSt or not.

Van

I agree it\'s getting worse. I do remember when version 2 first came out, it the crashing happend just about every time I exited the program. When Nemesys started providing the updates in beta, that went away and I could use GS160 for a long time (never went over a couple of hours though). Now this the latest update, 2.01.23, my system is crashing big time randomly. Even when GS160 is not even running, although I know some GS stuff runs in the background all the time.

Thanks for your tip about the video setting. I\'ll give that a try. By the way, I\'m using the 3dfx VooDoo 3500TV card with crappy drivers from them. But, it\'s their latest as well. Maybe I\'ll go back a version on those drivers.

Ron

I reinstalled WinME over my existing WinME installation. Seems to have helped. I left a program called The Jazz Pianist running on endless loop for over an hour playing different midi files thru GS. No crashes so far. Doing this may have restored some system files that were overwritten by nasty install programs. I have a lot of music pgms, so this is possible. Anyway, just an idea for others to consider.

Go Back to forum