• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2008. Should I upgrade?

Share/Bookmark

Question Finale 2008. Should I upgrade?

Long time no see!

I have been working on my first string quartet for past 2 years and at last it is completed!

Now, I am about to get into a new project, a short orchestra piece.

I currently own GPO4 but I came to know that GPO4 is not supported by Finale 2008 which I have now.

Naturally, I may upgrade Finale to 2012.

Question: Finale 2012 works well with GPO4? And I wonder why MakeMusic does not release 2013 version until August.

Any input will be appreciated. I was advised by the Finale forum to upgrade it and I wish to double check it in this familiar forum as my last and best resource of information.

Sincerely,

Jun Yamamoto
    http://homepage2.nifty.com/yamamoto_jun/e/

My current system is:

Hp Pavilion Desktop h9-1290jp
    Intel Core i7-3930
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    32 GB Memory/ 256 GB SATA SSD/2 2TB HD
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Re: Finale 2008. Should I upgrade?

Hi Jun:

I would think that if you want to use GPO4, you would need to upgrade to a later version of Finale. I use Finale 2011 and it works well with GPO4. I didn't upgrade to Finale 2012 because I didn't see much advantage over 2011, but I will take a close look at 2013 when it comes out. I think if you upgrade to 2012 just before 2013 comes out that 2013 would be a free upgrade, but, hey, why do that. You can wait for 2013 to come out if it isn't too long of a waiting period that would jeopardize your small orchestra project.

Since I am a Digital Performer guy, I only use Finale for working on a new project (since I am a notation-type composer). My final work is done in Digital Performer using the MIDI file from Finale. Also, I can use the notation print-outs from Finale to modify ideas or change them completely. Good proof-reading instrument, Finale is.

I'm sure some folks using Finale 2012 could give you a better idea of what course to follow as we have a lot of Finale 2012 pros on board.

Good to hear from you again.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Smile Re: Finale 2008. Should I upgrade?

Thank you very much, Jack, for your precious advice.

I am glad to hear that later versions of Finale work well with GPO4. As I have to start the project right now, I am going to upgrade Finale to 2012. Though, as you kindly suggested, I could wait Finale 2013, I think I have already enough reasons to jump from 2008 to 2012.

Sincerely,

Jun Yamamoto
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Re: Finale 2008. Should I upgrade?

I think you will notice marked improvements in going from Finale 2008 to 2012. I know you will enjoy using it. Good decision.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum