• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Topic: Samson Revisited

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Samson Revisited

    Sorry it's taken me an age and a bit to post this but here is my current revision of:

    Mighty Nazarite Samson

    Based on some very helpful advice I have worked on:

    1) Humanizing the timing
    2) Tuned up the length parameter on various instruments (I really had no idea how artificially cut off this had become until this was mentioned by Randy. I feel like a frog boiled in water.)
    3) Padded some of the thinner woodwind sections

    For reference, the previous posted version is here.

    Still needs some work I'm sure. I've had some thought of nudging the volume on the percussion up a bit but since this seems to easy to overdue I've stayed on the conservative side for now.




  2. #2

    Re: Samson Revisited

    Hello Daniel!

    I'm afraid I missed your original post of this, so thanks for sharing the older file. As a Finale user, I can't say a lot about how to improve rendering because to me, everything is fixable by just adjusting wet/dry settings

    I really enjoyed the composition, though! The different styles of each section provided great contrast and really made it clear that there is a story behind the music. The brass is certainly a powerful force in this piece. I have always found composing for brass difficult, but the ideas you have here are very clear and well realized.

    Perhaps someone else can comment more on the rendering, but I enjoyed the listen! Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

  3. #3

    Re: Samson Revisited

    Hi, Daniel - This is great to see "Samson" posted again, in his new and finer raiment!

    I do remember when you posted the earlier version, we talked about the pesky Length control that helps us correct some Garritan programming that was made too abrupt in an update awhile back. What you have now sounds much more natural throughout the whole rendering. Great!

    Randy

  4. #4

    Re: Samson Revisited

    Watch ya mean composing brass is difficult? All you need to know about writing for brass is: the trumpet is the king's instrument, the horn is the epic instrument, trombone is God's instrument, the euphonium is the brass cello, and tuba is the foundation of the Earth. Now go write for 'em!
    ~Rodney
    Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    Hello Daniel!

    I'm afraid I missed your original post of this, so thanks for sharing the older file. As a Finale user, I can't say a lot about how to improve rendering because to me, everything is fixable by just adjusting wet/dry settings

    I really enjoyed the composition, though! The different styles of each section provided great contrast and really made it clear that there is a story behind the music. The brass is certainly a powerful force in this piece. I have always found composing for brass difficult, but the ideas you have here are very clear and well realized.

    Perhaps someone else can comment more on the rendering, but I enjoyed the listen! Thanks for sharing!

  5. #5

    Re: Samson Revisited

    Thanks Randy and Sanyarem for the kind feedback.

    I like your breakdown of the brass instruments Rodney. I follow except for the trombone as "God's instrument," could you elaborate?

    Most of my trombone parts thus far are pretty grumpy sounding.

  6. #6

    Re: Samson Revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Watch ya mean composing brass is difficult? All you need to know about writing for brass is: the trumpet is the king's instrument, the horn is the epic instrument, trombone is God's instrument, the euphonium is the brass cello, and tuba is the foundation of the Earth. Now go write for 'em!
    ~Rodney
    Thanks Rodney for setting me straight! I, too, enjoyed your analogy. Sometimes I like to compare percussion to orchestral instruments, but I think every time I think about it, I come up with a different comparison every time!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

  7. #7

    Re: Samson Revisited

    People don't know that the trombone and bass trombone are God's instruments? That may be a form of blasphemy. It has been said that if you could go back in time to the dawn of the orchestra the only instrument you may truly recognized in today's modern standard would be the trombone. Before Beethoven's 5th symphony people heard the trombones mostly in churches and maybe even operas if I remember correctly. The perfection of the trombone's slide is what has truly made the instrument wonderful. People have tried to add valves on the instrument but it created a monster we call the bastaphone (bastard + phone) ruining the trombone's color. Kings have tried to use the trombone for ceremonies to be like God but the trombone mocks the imposters by tripping up their processional with their slides so the trombone remains pure and heavenly. The bass trombone is a force to be reckoned with in it's low register. It gives the bass a bite and masculinity that composers so need. Trombones sound better as a choir than any other brass instruments including horns. Trumpets are the screaming sopranos while the horns lower register sounds like poot poots. Trombones can sound as mellow as horns, as brassy as trumpets, and cover up the "concerto master's" precious solo anytime they wish. Berlioz says that the trombone is too noble to be simply an accompaniment to a piece such as an oboe concerto. It would be like the hero was called to do nothing. So from the sacred to the secular our heavenly and majestic trombones will always be there to guide us to unfelling victory and into a glimpse of the power of Heaven's army.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bendshadler View Post
    Thanks Randy and Sanyarem for the kind feedback.

    I like your breakdown of the brass instruments Rodney. I follow except for the trombone as "God's instrument," could you elaborate?

    Most of my trombone parts thus far are pretty grumpy sounding.

  8. #8

    Re: Samson Revisited

    Daniel,

    Not it's my turn to say "Powerful Stuff". This obviously refers to the beginning of the piece with that meaty brass, but also to that wonderfully orchestrated section starting at 1:48. Also the counterpoint at that spot is really unusual, but in a good way. Very creative and it draws the listener in. I have no idea what the instruments were at that point, so if you get this message, please let me know.

    I love the big strong brass statement. Ever since I was a kid and saw the Ten Commandments on TV for the first time, I remember that strong lower brass theme as such a treat and representing an undeniable force that fit the movie perfectly. And this intro does Samson justice too. Great track!!

    Cass

  9. #9

    Re: Samson Revisited

    Hi Cass,

    Thanks for the kind remarks!

    The bits at ~1:48 are mostly from the World Instruments Library. Starts off the Duduk, then the Maqrunah with the Oud and Santoor plucking below. Percussion is from the "Basic Middle East Precussion" set. The flute is the GPO4 flute solo. It started off as mostly an experiment to try something with the World Library trying to express the mystery of Samson's "riddle of the eater" he posed at his wedding feast. Admittedly the counterpoint the probably sounds different as I probably only read and remember the rules for as far as third species counterpoint and I am just approximating the rest

    Oddly, its been a couple of decades since I've seen the Ten Commandments. I had to look it up. The prologue theme is quite stirring!

    Sir Rodney,

    I am further intrigued on your comments concerning the Trombone. I'm wondering if you can suggest a couple of pieces that exemplify the Trombone as "God's Instrument" for our contemplation?

    I ask as I was listening to good ol' Beethoven's Ninth the other day thinking "ah ha" I shall listen for the power of Rodney's holy trombones! However the trombones seemed to be kicking back through most of the work. The bass trombone pops in here and there to brace up the occasional chord. The trombones show up in the last bit but then so does everyone else and it's a bit hard to pick them out. The one prominent part they do show up but they come out sounding, well, rather grumpy.

  10. #10

    Re: Samson Revisited

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bendshadler View Post
    Sir Rodney,

    I am further intrigued on your comments concerning the Trombone. I'm wondering if you can suggest a couple of pieces that exemplify the Trombone as "God's Instrument" for our contemplation?

    I ask as I was listening to good ol' Beethoven's Ninth the other day thinking "ah ha" I shall listen for the power of Rodney's holy trombones! However the trombones seemed to be kicking back through most of the work. The bass trombone pops in here and there to brace up the occasional chord. The trombones show up in the last bit but then so does everyone else and it's a bit hard to pick them out. The one prominent part they do show up but they come out sounding, well, rather grumpy.

    Pines of Rome II. Pines Near a Catacomb (4:20) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnsbL...tailpage#t=226
    Fanfare for a Common Man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_clO8PBzKM The trombones give the power to this piece.
    ~Rodney

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •