• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Piano Samples

Piano Samples

I\'m looking for a good classical sounding piano sample in giga or kontakt format.

Here are the samples I\'m considering:
    East West Steinway B
    East West Bosendorfer
    PMI Grandioso Bosendorfer 290

Does anybody have any recommendations on these samples or others they like?

Re: Piano Samples

You might check out Sampeltekk\'s new White Grand. It\'s designed for more pop stuff but actually sounds great on classical too [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Check out the demos at www.sampletekk.com

69 Lois Lane, Metropolis

Do a subject search...this has been covered to death.

You may want to check out the Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial Grand Model 290. There are many classical, jazz, and pop, demos of this piano on our web site. The 24 bit packaged version of this piano contains HALion, Kontakt, and EXS24 sampler versions, and there is also a packaged 16 bit Giga version as well.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio

The Malsmjö from Artvista has also a great tone I think. Different to the ones listed at least.

Hi Motley,

Another good resource is http://www.purgatorycreek.com/pianocompare.html

Most popular pianos are demonstrated there in relative \"same state\" i.e. player, piece, and processing. I\'ve always found it very helpful when defining in my own mind what it is that I\'m looking for.

Personally, I\'m a fan of all the newer Bardstown & PMI Bosendorfers but also love my EW Steinway B born way way back in 1997.

Good luck, and let me know you what like.

Thanks everybody for your great suggestions.

I have played both Eastwest Steinway B and PMI
    Grandioso Bosendorfer. Both are excellant samples.
    To me, PMI Bosendorfer sounds great on some pieces.
    However, Eastest Steinway D (with art file from
    OliverB) sounds more pleasing to me in most cases.
    I don\'t know if it has to do with the fact that I
    tend to like more mellow sounds, and that might
    have tilted me to like the sound of a Steinway

I got a free demo of the PMI Bose with Music Tech magazine, and I have to say, it was crap. Maybe something wasn\'t set right in the demo, I don\'t know...needless to say I was surprised at the good reviews, and the praises here. It\'s not \"OK\"...it\'s complete feces. It\'s all subjective I guess...and I\'m partial to Bardstown Bose...but this was really one of the worst sampled pianos I\'ve ever heard.

The EastWest is OK, but I think Giga\'s own free Gigapiano puts it to shame.

My fav is the Bards, followed by Vintaudio C7 which is really a nice sampled Yammy Grand with three very playable perspectives. If you want the best sampled piano, get the Bards.

Sporter, I don\'t know what kind of demo version you got of the PMI Grandioso Bosendorfer, but I have the full Giga version with over 2 GB of samples that includes a Wet instrument and a smaller Dry instrument (which I much prefer over the Wet instrument), so I am not sure how fair your comments are. People should check out the impressive demos of the piano in http://www.postpiano.com/products/allDemos.php?subCat=B%F6sendorfer+290 . John Grant has also made some great Bach, Beethoven, and Chopin demos using the PMI Grandioso Bosendorfer, some of which have made it to the Post web site demo page mentioned above.

The Bardstown Bosendorfer also captures the nice deep tone of a Bosendorfer Imperial with the release layers being especially well done. Unlike the ones found in some of the other sampled pianos, the release layers as recorded and programmed here give a nice presence and ambience and add realism to the instrument. However, I found many of the samples to have a lot of extraneous mechanical noises and vibrations. It could be said that those are the sounds from the real instrument itself, but most of the other sampled pianos that I have do not have these noises. At least, some low pass filtering helps to remove this. Some of the updated patches now provided with the piano include some of this low pass filtering, and this helps make the piano somewhat more usable to me.

Anyway, John Grant\'s pleasant discovery of the PMI Grandioso Bosendorfer can be found in the post http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003254;p=1 , and more comments comparing the two Bosendorfers can be found in the post http://www.northernsounds.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003271

Go Back to forum