• Register
  • Help

Topic: Old news? News to me.... MM has signed distribution deal

Share/Bookmark

Old news? News to me.... MM has signed distribution deal

Found this on the MMF. Anyone else heard of it?

4wrd.it/A.MAKEMUSIC0813
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Re: Old news? News to me.... MM has signed distribution deal

Quote Originally Posted by BVstudios View Post
    Found this on the MMF. Anyone else heard of it?

4wrd.it/A.MAKEMUSIC0813
    Hardly old news! That announcement is dated just yesterday, Aug. 14th, '13. Hmmm. MM sure has been partnering with a lot of folks the last year or so. I wonder what this means exactly - How is Alfred the "exclusive distributor" of Finale/Garritan? Does that mean online sales, which is the main source of sales, will now go through Alfred's site and company? Hmmm.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hardly old news! That announcement is dated just yesterday, Aug. 14th, '13. Hmmm. MM sure has been partnering with a lot of folks the last year or so. I wonder what this means exactly - How is Alfred the "exclusive distributor" of Finale/Garritan? Does that mean online sales, which is the main source of sales, will now go through Alfred's site and company? Hmmm.

Randy
    It would seem to be within the educational market place, reading the announcement.
    Maybe Alfred have a good share of this market already.
    And it's just possible that they have a large enough share that the only way MakeMusic can get them to sell their products there, is by making an exclusive deal.
    There are often hidden elements to these deals.
    The deal may include promotion of MM products over the opposition, who shall remain nameless.

Who knows?
    I'm sure both parties are getting something from it.

If it keeps Garritan and Finale alive I'm all for it.

Just my 2d.
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Hi all,

To clarify, we've had distributors for many years. We have (and will continue) to sell direct from the MakeMusic store. It's quite common for software companies to have distributors to handle getting product into retail stores.

A distributor like Alfred has a very large network of music stores and online sites that they provide merchandise to, from sheet music to instruments to software for example. The distributor places large orders of software from us, then they handle getting 5 copies of Instant Orchestra or Finale into Justin's Drum Shop. We also work closely with them on marketing for distribution, sales and opportunities, and other fun things to benefit buying our software from retail.

These agreements are usually exclusive. We have other distributors as well around the globe that do similar things for us. We're making this change due to new opportunities with Alfred, and we're very excited about it!
    Justin Phillips
    Senior Product Manager
    MakeMusic, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Phillips View Post
    Hi all,

To clarify, we've had distributors for many years. We have (and will continue) to sell direct from the MakeMusic store. It's quite common for software companies to have distributors to handle getting product into retail stores...
    Hello, Justin - It's great to see you here. And thanks for the clarification. Whenever we see MM in the news, we tend to wonder and speculate what it means about the future of MM and Garritan, and we fret some.

You've answered the main question that came up for me - whether or not this meant online products would now only be available through the Alfred site, or if MM would continue sales through its site. I was taking "exclusive distribution" literally, thinking it could mean that any and all sales would be through Alfred. I'm relieved to have that cleared up.

So Alfred will be dealing with retail stores and hard copies of the software. Those venues must account for a much smaller percentage of sales than they did in the recent past. Here in Salem, the capital of Oregon, the biggest music retailer recently went out of business. We now have one, rather small guitar shop which has a neglected shelf of dust-collecting boxed programs. That's the status of retail music sales in our town anyway, and I have the impression that's quickly becoming the retail landscape across the country!

Congratulations on the new partnership. Alfred has a huge presence online, tops in their all-encompassing field(s). This should be a big win for everyone involved.

Thanks again for the info.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello, Justin - It's great to see you here. And thanks for the clarification. Whenever we see MM in the news, we tend to wonder and speculate what it means about the future of MM and Garritan, and we fret some.

You've answered the main question that came up for me - whether or not this meant online products would now only be available through the Alfred site, or if MM would continue sales through its site. I was taking "exclusive distribution" literally, thinking it could mean that any and all sales would be through Alfred. I'm relieved to have that cleared up.

So Alfred will be dealing with retail stores and hard copies of the software. Those venues must account for a much smaller percentage of sales than they did in the recent past. Here in Salem, the capital of Oregon, the biggest music retailer recently went out of business. We now have one, rather small guitar shop which has a neglected shelf of dust-collecting boxed programs. That's the status of retail music sales in our town anyway, and I have the impression that's quickly becoming the retail landscape across the country!

Congratulations on the new partnership. Alfred has a huge presence online, tops in their all-encompassing field(s). This should be a big win for everyone involved.

Thanks again for the info.

Randy
    No problem! Physical distribution is still needed for us. The great thing is that you can get Garritan and other MakeMusic products everywhere, from your local shop to an online retailer or direct from us. Hopefully through more areas now.
    Justin Phillips
    Senior Product Manager
    MakeMusic, Inc

Go Back to forum