• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Sweet Dreams Tonight"

Share/Bookmark

"Sweet Dreams Tonight"

A simple lullaby I wrote tonight for a friend of mine.

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...%20Tonight.mp3

Words later.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: "Sweet Dreams Tonight"

Really sweet, Mitch. I love the sentimental, old fashioned tone to the melody and combination of major and minor chords. I can really fall for songs that sound like they've stepped out of a musical time machine from the past, the way this one so aptly does. This should be really fun to orchestrate. Keep having a good time with it!

Randy

Yay! Nice simple tunes still exist! It can be done!

Just a suggestion, not sure if you are planning to work on the piano more or if it's just a sketch in anticipation of an orchestral version, but if you are, you might give some attention to the timing of the pedalling. There's some blurring going on around 50" and onwards. Also, you might think about bringing out the volume of the melody just a touch more.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this. I love a good tune!

Much obliged
    Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Thank you Randy and Owen. Glad you like it. Yes Owen, I'm still working out the kinks with a lot of this song. It is less than 12 hours old so it has a lot of growing up to do. ;-) I've added strings but I just can't get Finale 2012 to let them enter softly even though I've used ppp as the expression. Maybe I need to lower the attack level.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    ...I've added strings but I just can't get Finale 2012 to let them enter softly even though I've used ppp as the expression. Maybe I need to lower the attack level.
    Ah, a notation project. If you can edit the attacks, then you definitely need to do that. I thought ppp would trigger lower velocities, but apparently not. So edit those, it's the only way to get a slow attack on the envelopes.

Randy

Thanks Randy, I got them working the way I want them to now. I use two different types of expression definitions. One for velocity and one for modulation depending on the instrument. Using them in combination works if one does it correctly. ;-)

I like this. It brings the theme of love to me. A very very very nice melody.

Thanks for sharing,

Richard

Thank you Richard. The theme of love? You'll never be able to prove it! Hehehe... (but I will admit there was a woman involved in the inspiration of it).

Charming, absolutely charming! Hopefully this will bless me with sweet dreams tonight.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast