• Register
  • Help

Topic: Long pad notes stop

Share/Bookmark

Long pad notes stop

Setup: Gigasampler 1.6, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, two Layla sound cards (with newest drivers) Computer built for recording audio (capable of more than 50 Cakewalk audio tracks @ 48khz 16 bit) (It\'s true it\'s true! lol) 36x8 Mackie board etc.etc.Studio doing business for about six years.
    Here is the situation. I am using the Acoustic Essentials kick, snare and jazz ride in 1, 2 and 3. In channel 5 I have the Ambience Air (downloaded from Worra\'s). Using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 with gigs as midi, I recorded the drums. They play back great. The problem started when I tried to record the synth pad, I want a sort of Pink Floyd thing with a long pad underneath. When I record the pad, it plays for a couple seconds then stops. I\'ve tried in real time record, drawing the pad in in the piano roll view, and just playing the pad as the drums play. By itself the pad (or any sustained note for that matter) plays very well, when I have the drums playing the note stops. I muted the drums while recording and the note played full length. Bring up kick then snare note played full length. unmute cymbals-note stops. Am I losing something because of the memory it takes to sustain cymbals & pad? I have 256 mbs of ram.(If that matters.)Your help would be appreciated.

Re: Long pad notes stop

This is about the fourth time I\'ve seen a post referring to a sustained sound being cut off while a drum pattern plays.

So far there hasn\'t been an answer from Nemesys, but it sounds suspiciously like a dynamic voice allocation problem.

Try using up the same number of voices your current arrangement is using, but with long chords - not the drum pattern. If this runs OK then you\'ll know it isn\'t a memory problem. Then try firing the drum patterns and see if it robs you of sustained notes again.

I\'ve run into the same issue. I record the parts using the most voices as an audio track in Cakewalk. Then I archive the MIDI tracks in Cakewalk. With a good soundboard it should sound the same and you\'ll then free up Gigasampler for more sounds.

Haydn,

are you running both the CW audio tracks and Gigastudio simultaneously?

If so, how many voices do you get on Giga before things get sloppy?

Yes I am!! They are streaming off the same hard drive which is a Maxtor 5400 RPM. This cuts down on pops and dropouts in Cakewalk. I mixdown the tracks with a third program on a different hard drive. I have a PII-350 with 192 MB of ram. I can usually get 64 voices out of Gigastudio but run into problems if it\'s a sound such as Gigapiano or Harp passages that max out voices for over 10 seconds.

Go Back to forum