• Register
  • Help

Topic: The World You and I Hoped For...

Share/Bookmark

The World You and I Hoped For...

This is a composition I created for my next album, "Angel Tara - The Girl With Wings (Strings, Choir, and Piano)." The entire album is being dedicated to her.

I have been working on this for a bit but just finished today. I put all of the effort I could into this with dynamics and control including the portamento. Finding the right settings for reverb was hard because I didn't know how I should peruse this but I finally found it.

Sorry for the rapid share of posts, the last couple were for testing and feedback, but I have found mode now! Thanks for the feedback and tips.

Libraries Used:
    - Vienna Special Edition Strings
    - Vienna Soprano Choir
    - Sampletekk Black Grand

Regards,

Richard

Re: The World You and I Hoped For...

Lush, romantic, and very well done, Richard. Congrats on the new album project, and on integrating the feedback you've gotten from all your recent posts. Sounds really nice.

Randy

Very little time at the moment, but just enough to jump to the top of posts and have a listen to what's happening around here.

A beautiful emotive piece. Sounds rich and full. Are they full ensemble strings, or are they sections, violins 1/2, violas, celli, bass? Sound very nice whatever way they are arranged, and the solo cello (I think) sounds and blends really well. Great production. I think the end is a bit abrupt - not the note, the tail of the note. Feel like it could have carried another beat or two.

I can see there's no Garritan used. The piano sounds great though the mid-tones are a little hollow. I found this with so many sampled pianos.

Great job - good luck with the new album!
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

It's a very beautiful song although it is a bit sad. Everything sounds about right also. Good luck on the upcoming album.

Very nice, Richard. I mentioned before how your music speaks to me (perhaps more accurate to say, speaks for me), and this is no exception. I love the sound you've created here. Perfect for a wistful, reflective sort of mood.

I actually like the way the last note cuts off. Makes me think that the story never really ends.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with this project, and best wishes

Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this and the encouragement for the new album.

@Graham:
    Each string is in it's own section (violins, violas, cellos, and double basses). I generally like to compose with full strings to make things simpler, but I have fallen in love with the legato and portamento of the Vienna strings. The sustained versions don't have that, so I have to do each section individually. Not sure what you mean by the hallow tones. I have set the velocity for the piano to be very low to sound quiet and soft as compared to a full bright piano. As for the ending, I did that deliberately. Slowed down the last few notes to just leave it cliff hanging. Kind of like what Owen mentioned, "Never ending." The composition was meant to bring that kind of feeling... just left in thought. As for Garritan libraries, indeed I am not using much in this besides the harp. The reason is because it is a string and choir based album and I will have no need for the brass or woodwinds from GPO or IO. However, I will be bringing in some of the lush strings from GPO, they still have the softer heavenly touch that will be necessary for this album, fortunately Vienna and GPO are both recorded dry so they make good friends for what I need to do! Thanks for the listen!

@Chandler:
    I guess the feel I was trying to get was both sad and love, memorable. Thanks for listening to the tune.

@Randy:
    Thanks! I was a bit lost there on how to ensemble this. I really want to thank you for the realistic input of what I need to do. I had that mono old time movie feel just stuck in my head, but realism and live performance (simulating) is the key. For those dynamics!!! LOL!!! I still feel lazy sometimes, but in my final productions I am spending a lot of time with it on these. The difference is surpassing. The video game world is fun to compose in, but it is important to begin the complex creation of compositions. Thanks for the positive and constructive feedback.

@Owen:
    Thanks a lot for the kind words Owen. I really respect that you can understand the mood and feeling behind the composition the same as I do. Music to me is more than just a language, it is a whole painting of the past, the present, and the future. Thanks for listening to the composition.

Regards,

Richard

It might be just the reverb, of which there is a lot. But that's fine as it suits the overall sound. Sampled pianos are very subjective anyway. I've been through loads to find one that suited what I wanted, nothing specially wrong with them (except weak mid tones was a common complaint) but I kept search for a particular type of tone.

No biggie - the ending does work on listening again. Seem abrupt the first time, seems natural the 2nd time.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Lovely stuff! The results of your string experiments are paying off. It has a very reflective mood and the ending worked quite nicely on my first listen.

Go Back to forum