• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: EWI problems again!

Share/Bookmark

EWI problems again!

I must be a total dunce and losing my mental capacity. I haven't used my EWI in a couple of months and decided to lay down some tracks in Sonar X2. I plugged the EWI into my USB port, opened the stand alone EWI ARIA player to just check it out and could not get the EWI Configuration file to load or even show any thing but a gray blank box. There were no controls for the EWI showing and I could not see how to change anything. Yes, I have the input and out put boxes checked for the EWI USB in preferences. Yes, I could get a sound but it wasn't quite right (seemed sluggish and unresponsive).

I also get the message from AriaEngine, "Could not find effect:Ambience bank 1004 there surely exists an update for this product!"

I tried it in Sonar and got NO sound to come from the EWI to the ARIA engine to the output to my soundcard. I could click and arrow from my mouse on the ARIA player on the keyboard and sound would come from my sound card, but nothing would make a sound when I played the EWI. I have the latest ARIA Akai EWI files in my Program Files/Akai/EWI USB directory for what it is worth.

Any ideas?
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: EWI problems again!

Rich, what you've described made me recall that David from Plogue answered this question in the Technical Support Forum awhile back. Here's that thread where David has posted info and a link:

"Could not find effect..."

Randy

Like I said, "I'm a dunce" and getting worse every day!

Thanks Randy, sorry I could have searched that myself but was so frustrated that I wasn't thinking.

Rich

I did check my installation and I do have all the latest drivers for both ARIA and AKAI. That is what I did back in February and I am sure it all worked well then and into March. Now, it is not working at all. This is very disappointing. My son suggested uninstalling everything music related (Sonar, ARIA, Garritan products, the works and re-installing it all.) I really, really, really don't want to have to do that. If I have to, I will just get a new hard drive (SSD) and install the software on a second hard drive with the SSD drive as operating system only.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I did check my installation and I do have all the latest drivers for both ARIA and AKAI. That is what I did back in February and I am sure it all worked well then and into March. Now, it is not working at all. This is very disappointing. My son suggested uninstalling everything music related (Sonar, ARIA, Garritan products, the works and re-installing it all.) I really, really, really don't want to have to do that. If I have to, I will just get a new hard drive (SSD) and install the software on a second hard drive with the SSD drive as operating system only.

Well dang. So you have ARIA Player 1.620. Did you install Sforzando to make sure you have the updated ARIA Engine? And you're sure you have the newest version of EWI?

Oh man, I wouldn't do all that un and re-installing. I've had my share of technical issues over the years, but have never taken that drastic step. I don't blame you for not wanting to do it. I think you'd spend hours, days doing that, and nothing would change.

SSD - hmmm, I personally feel it's still too early to go to one of those. In theory, it's great, no spinning disc to wear out - But they still get fragmented more quickly and Stay fragmented. I'm pretty sure the experts still aren't recommending them for music production.

I think there's something amiss that just hasn't been discovered yet, Rich. I sympathize. Computers are completely maddening when they don't work.

Randy

So you have ARIA Player 1.620. Did you install Sforzando to make sure you have the updated ARIA Engine? And you're sure you have the newest version of EWI?
    Yes, to each of those questions. I don't get it but will keep trying to figure this new twist in music engineering out. If I get it fixed, I will pass on any info I deduce.

Rich

This probably has no new info for you, Rich, but such as it is, here it is - a page about EWI, installing and using it - And one of the things it points out is that a lot of computers simply don't work well with EWI, and that it's just a bit of a troubled product:

EWI info

Randy

Thanks again Randy, always trying to help and I do appreciate it. However, this time the error is in the operator (me). I made sure that the ARIA player had the EWI set up for input and output. What I had forgotten was to set the midi input and output devices in Sonar to include EWI USB. The EWI now responds as it should in Sonar. I don't leave the EWI plugged in when I am not using it and it has been a while since I last played the instrument. I just simply forgot to set the preference in Sonar to include the EWI as a midi device.

This still doesn't solved the problem of the missing configuration screen when trying to configure the EWI in the stand alone player (not that I will be doing that much). But, at least now I can focus on the music and technique of playing and not just on how to get the instrument to play. As you said before, technology is great when it works. When it doesn't work it is entirely frustrating and irritating.

Rich

There is a EWI UI Update as well that goes with the newer engines. Make sure you have the latest EXE file for the new UI. I remember reading this on the forum before. There is some Amazon S3 file download to correct this I think. If you cannot find it here goto the Aria engine update site.

Thanks for the comments, Jim.

I do have all the updates that I could find. I have WIN_sforzando_1.625 and EWIUSB_1620 (which by the way is not an install but you have to manually place them in the correct directory). If there is anything else, I couldn't find it on the AriaEngine site or the MakeMusic site or the AKAI site (unless, of course, my eyes and mind did not comprehend the information that I was staring at). That is a good possibility.

It is helpful to have friends offering information to make the solution to a problem easier to fathom. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks...

Rich

Go Back to forum