• Register
  • Help

Topic: I am eyeing the new samplitude 7.0

I am eyeing the new samplitude 7.0

Hi everyone

I would like to get some higher quality out of my Libraries. I have found the New Samplitude for Eq and Mastering to look very promising.

I would like to extract the following pertaining to a new feuture in the New Samplitude. it is about Reverb quality.

This is what they say about the new Samplitude 7.0

I am particularly interested in the following:

Convolution Realtime Room Simulator

\"A revolutionary effect is the room simulator that operates by using the convolution method. The original signal is calculated by using any kind of reverb signal, such as that from a genuine concert hall or from a high-end reverb device. The result is astonishing, sounding as though as it were recorded in the original room, arena, cathedral or a world renowned concert hall. This effect surpasses even the most expensive effects devices - so long as the quality of the reverb signal used is satisfactory. Hardware devices fitted with the equivalent technology would set you back the price of a small car. Regardless to the high arithmetic performance, in Samplitude 7 this effect is available for real-time processing. With different quality and latency settings up to 6 room simulation effects run on a plain P4 2 GHz PC. \"

Someome please explain this in simpler English?
    How does this convulsion work?. Does it mean that there is Reverb built into the Software? I currently own a Roland SRV 330.Dimensional Space reverb

Are they saying I can plug the SRv 330\'s reverb into this convulsion?

Someone please explain this? Its driving me nuts!!

Please shed some light its dark in here!!

Caveman [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Orcas Island

Re: I am eyeing the new samplitude 7.0

Originally posted by caveman:
    Someome please explain this in simpler English? How does this convulsion work?....
    Someone please explain this? Its driving me nuts!! Please shed some light its dark in here!!

Caveman [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ll try to explain. The Room Simulator in Samplitute is a sampled reverb (a/k/a convolution). Samplitude has been using convolution for some time. It it one of the better sounding convolvers IMHO. I recently posted an explanation in the GOS forum and I\'ll repeat myself here.

In the past, reverbs have been added to recordings to make it sound as though the recording was made in an acoustic space such as a concert hall. These reverbs relied on artificial algorithms to approximate and simulate acoustic spaces, albeit with limited success.

What if you could sample an actual concert hall, just like having samples of real instruments (like GOS), and then be able to place your sampled instruments in a sampled concert hall? Imagine that you can choose Lincoln Center, or Carnegie Hall or Boston Symphony Hall, the Acropolis, or other well known spaces.

This is what the new revolution in sampled convolution reverbs (or impulse response) technology is all about. Impulse Responses are in effect \"samples\" of acoustic spaces. Impulse responses capture the actual acoustic signature of real spaces with amazing precision. These ambient samples can then be imposed on or convolved with your sample library instruments to produce a stunningly realistic representation of the instruments playing in, say a real concert hall.

Here\'s a simplified process of how it works.
    If you are in a large room and clap your hands you will hear the direct sound of the clap along with the reverberence of the room you are in. The clap itself is the impulse and everything else you hear is the room\'s response to the impulse. The room\'s response to your clap would be a function of the room\'s size, the height of the ceiling, room surfaces, floor material, whether the room is empty or standing-room-only, and other sonic factors. By recording the impulse with the response, through intense computation, the impulse can effectively be factored out leaving a sample reverb (response) of the room\'s acoustics. You can then apply your sample sounds, with the room reverberation samples. The result sounds as if the original signal was produced in that particular acoustic environment (where the impulse response was recorded). With the sampled impulse response loaded in Samplitude (or other convolving programs like Altiverb, Acoustic Mirror, Cool Edit, Nuendo\'s Acoustic Stamp, etc); Not only can you select the space you want, but also control parameters such as decay times and frequencies. The result can be breathtaking. We are at the beginning of this amazing technology. So much more can be done with comvolution than just acoustic spaces. As processing speed increases, expect to see it become popular and commonplace.

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

PS Impulse Response samples were included in the last update and expect to see more in the next update.

The best way to find out is to download the demo and use it.

As best I understand it, they record a percussive sound in the room, hall, etc. The program analyzes the wave impulses (echoes and reflections) and applies them to your audio, so it now sounds like you recorded your material in the space that the original impulse was recorded.

I believe you can record your own impulse sounds (clap your hands in the shower?) and use them as well.

Hope this helps a little. I haven\'t really studied it that much.

PS I see Gary beat me to it. His explanation is far better than mine.

Thanks for the explanation Guys

So the way I am understanding this is that the sample of the natural environment just gets sent to your dry signal and whala!!!

My next Question:

I currently have the Roland SRV330 Dimentional Space Reverb.

Would I get better results using this newer convultion/impulse than my current reverb?

Will it be very noticable in quality?

Does this mean that the new Samplitude has these \"samples\" of the real churches, halls etc within the program or are these impulses something you would have to purchase extra, if I decided to purchase the new Samplitude?

I am just trying to see if it would nake more sense to buy into this new technology, if it will be better quality than my SRv330, or if I should stick with my reverb I have.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Another Question. I do not do too much live recording and would like a new Analog Mixer for Christmas. I have some Alesis Active One Self Powered Monitors and the Aardvark Pro 24/96 Soundcard Wamirack 192(seperate system)

Anyone recommend a mixer that would give me good results with the above gear I mentioned? I mainly record Samples and not much live. I do not necesseraly need tons of pre amps etc as I will use the Aardvark. Any mixers that will give me good quality results that will not cause a whole in my pocket thats worth mentioning?

Bruce anyone?

Thats about it

Go Back to forum