• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

OT: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Hello All,

I know it\'s off-topic, but I was wondering what you all thought of Williams/Ross\' score to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Personally, I thought the Voldemort motif was severely underdeveloped and repetitive. It was nice to hear the Hogwarts theme again, sometimes quoted better than originally in the first one. However the theme I am most interested in hearing what you thought of is Fawkes the Phoenix\'s theme, which I think is probably one of William\'s best themes in the last few years. What do you all think?

Re: OT: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Off Topic Response to your Off Topic Post.

Didn\'t see Harry Potter, but...

Just saw \"Far from Heaven\" and MAN...what a beautiful score that was (Elmer Bernstein)....it\'s like an instant classic, and makes you remember how much higher the level of scoring, melodies, orchestration and the importance of music in films used to be in the films of earlier eras.

I\'m not even really a huge Bernstein fan, but this was one of the best things he\'s ever done IMHO, and he was THE perfect guy for this film....really added a huge amount to the film and the mood and period setting.

Check it out!

The score is amazing - so much going on in it I can\'t figure out how anyone can write so many notes in so little time Fawke\'s theme is great yes, but I still have track 5, The Flying Car, as my favourite in the score.

I saw Harry Potter 2 yesterday. It was somewhat disappointing I think. The score is marvelous on its own.. Williams is writing concert material! But in the end it really doesn\'t work all that well. The place where he\'s mixing the fawkes theme with the basilisk chaos really sounded cheap to me. It\'s one of the oldest tricks in the book.

The movie also lacks a stand-out moment, both score-wise and filmatic-wise, but it\'s still a good movie, although I enjoyed HP 1 MUCH more. Chamber of Secrets feels hysterical to me. The mystique is gone.. sadly.

My favorite cue in the whole movie is \"the Cornish Pixies\" - although sadly Williams\' music disappears behind a wall of noise, sfx and children screaming. \"CAN\'T YOU BRATS BE QUIET?! I\'M TRYING TO LISTEN TO THE SCORE HERE!\"

Oh, and the end drags like nothing else. It felt sooo uninspired! It never ends and everyone is like locked half-way out of their seats in the theatre when the 3rd crescendo begins.. Ok crescendos can be very effective but this was just too much for me.

The Fawkes theme is beautiful, though. Just too bad the concert version on the CD isn\'t in the movie [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum