• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Recording a trumpet player in a church

Share/Bookmark

OT: Recording a trumpet player in a church

I am investigating possibilities to record some \'custom samples\' and I think it would be easier to get access to a church than a concert hall, since I have no immediate connections to a hall. Also, a church could sound really good. I have a few questions though that I hope you can help me with

1: When looking for a church, I plan to take my little metal flute, in lack of a trumpet, and see how it sounds to get an idea of the acoustics - I don\'t want a lot of high freq content in the reverb, ideally - does this sound like a good way to investigate the sound of the room?

2: Equipment! What would I need for recording a solo trumpet - I want an ambient sound (of course) - ideally, a sound like that of the JFK recording with Tim Morrison. I will be doing p/mp/mf \'warm\' articulations as well as more ff(f) sustains+staccs. Should I record this in stereo or mono - with one stereo-mic or two mono? And what mic\'s? I know some people who have studios and I\'ll find out if they have any appropriate mic\'s - I guess I am looking for omni-directional ones right? In an AB setup (if stereo). Preamp: I will have to borrow or rent this - so what should I go for? I will be going from the preamp into a PC equipped with RME Multiface, balanced TRS I/O.

I don\'t know about the recording distance, but my guess would be 5-10 metres since this is solo I don\'t think I can go much further. I\'ll try and use my ears.

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Re: OT: Recording a trumpet player in a church

Trumpet players are the spawn of the devil, recording them in a church is the ultimate blasphemy!

Don\'t you know those things?

Wouldn\'t that be accordions?

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thomas

I think the solo trumpet sound you want can be achieved by micing at around 5 meters distance with any kind of good stereo mic setup. I doubt you\'ll get much high frequency reverb at that distance. The metal flute may or may not be a good way to test the acoustics, I\'d rather just bring the trumpet player to the church and do the material you need. Remember to record some legato interval samples to make your trumpet more realistic. Don\'t forget that unless it\'s a GREAT trumpet player, you probably wont be getting Tim Morrison-equivalent results, but at least it\'ll be your very own giga instrument [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and tell him to bring his Bb Trumpet, not his bach, or C (D) trumpet [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thomas

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    Oh, and tell him to bring his Bb Trumpet, not his bach, or C (D) trumpet
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    I am investigating possibilities to record some \'custom samples\' ...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I get the idea here that you are your going to make samples to supplement some other samples that you already have? If that \'s the case I would be concerned about matching the timbre and stereo spread of the other samples.

Rick: I am not so concerned about that. In the big orchestral sound you won\'t notice. I am planning on using it on top of DDBE and as solo.

A_Sapp: Right, that is the plan, to do some different expressive samples, kinda like SAM Horns, inspired by different trumpet solo pieces\' expressions.

Simon, listen to a lot of trumpet recordings that have some really dramatic trumpet parts.
    The current brass libs today don\'t have certain emotional articulations that I\'ve always wanted to have in my music. The closest samples I\'ve heard to my satisfaction is probably Thomas\'s custom trumpet samples. VERY sweet stuff. Don\'t record stale sustains that go nowhere.

Oh, and tell him to bring his Bb Trumpet, not his bach, or C (D) trumpet
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually....a lot of hollywood studio trumpet players today use C trumpets while in the orchestra. The C trumpets have a brighter tone which seems to come through the orchestra a little more. The Bb is good for solo passages and fanfares.

There is a tonal difference between C and Bb and it is not just the key the instruments are pitched in. I would say that for orchestral stuff....having samples of a C trumpet would be the best bet.

Absolutely true. Generally speaking, the \"higher\" transposed trumpet you play, the brighter sound you get. Bb trumpets have a much warmer sound than C trumpets though, and that\'s why I suggested that particular instrument for Simon, as he wants that \"Tim Morrison\" sound.

Thomas

Go Back to forum