• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonic Implants Strings vs. VSL pro Strings ?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Sonic Implants Strings vs. VSL pro Strings ?

VSL has an edgier sound. Sometimes I find SISS too soft sounding for certain applications. VSL cuts through the mix better, especially if you\'re mixing it with electronic sounds. My opinion.....

I felt I needed both.

On http://www.projectsam.com/demos.html \"Summon the Trumpets\" Simon used both (layered) and I think it sounded really great. Maybe this is a good combination!!!

Sonic Implants Strings vs. VSL pro Strings ?

Hi,

I wonder how the Sonic Implants Symphonic Strings Collection Library, compares to the Vienna Symphonic Library Strings Pro-Edition as far as timbre, sound quality, character, and applications.

I own the SISS library in Giga format, but I am
    considerintg the VSL in Exs24mkII format.

Your feedback is Welcome.

Thanks.

Hi,

Good question. We heard so much about SI when it was brand new. And wouldn\'t you know it, there\'s no black and white answer with respect to how it compares to some of the newer libs. Apparently, it depends on the application, AND because of SI\'s softer presence, is not a competitor, but a good lib to compliment VSL! Although anyone with a fair amount of time and talent can likely take any of the newer libs and get what they need, psychologically, there is much to be said about the confidence that comes with knowing you have every library on god\'s earth. So, I\'m thinking of a strategy that gives up on trying to select certin libraries here and there, and simply resign to buying everything.

Did you know that you could deliver Pizza\'s for Dominos in the evenings after your normal day job and clear about $1300.00 extra a month?

I\'ve been practicing:

\"Would you like to hear our specials today\"?
    \"Will that be regular or thin and crispy crust\"?

Click with mouse on link for further information.

The Ultimate String Ensemble

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Alexcremers:

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Too Bad this article is missing QLSO Strings. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Rich

Do people agree with him that the VSL strings sound close-miked or that there\'s some room build-up when you use several samples?

Originally posted by Rich Pell:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Alexcremers:

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Too Bad this article is missing QLSO Strings. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Rich </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">In this article, (page 6 of 8) he says the following.....

\"........If you\'re in a hurry, the full-range Ensemble programs sound great all by themselves. The day I received the library, I immediately used the Ensemble Con Sordino R(elease) bank on a quick string arrangement for a pop ballad. I didn\'t even call up the muted sections individually — I just duplicated the one bank on four separate MIDI channels and blazed ahead........\"

Would someone mind elaborating on what \"he\" means by duplicating the one bank onto 4 seperate midi channels? Of course, I know how to duplicate midi channels, but what\'s in question is why he did this and what did he do thereafter?

Thanks

frankii

PS I got that demo mp3 file (VSL tools) from Craig Dukerschein and will create a link to it shortly (see understanding VSL Legato tool post)

Four different midi channels with the same patch, the full range ensemble. One for violins, one for violas, one for cellos, one for double basses.

I like to do this too. It helps to have the full range at your disposal while composing.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    Four different midi channels with the same patch, the full range ensemble. One for violins, one for violas, one for cellos, one for double basses.

I like to do this too. It helps to have the full range at your disposal while composing.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well then, I must be mis-understanding, how I\'m taking this to mean one patch (from the ensembles) loaded 4 times in giga, and then 4 midi tracks selecting this patch which translates to 4 of the same patch.

Or did he load Con Sordino R(elease) for Violin, Cello and so forth?

Thanks for the reply.

Go Back to forum