• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Myrrdin - Pre-production Teaser

Share/Bookmark

Myrrdin - Pre-production Teaser

Hi all, I haven't been around too much as I've been busy setting up templates in preparation for working on a new score.

I've been hired to score two planned feature films about the Celtic legend roots of King Arthur and Merlin.

I'm scored the teaser/prologue video which can be viewed via the line below

http://www.myrrdin.org.uk/Videos.html

I'm currently working on themes and an overall pre-vision score. Ideas and sketches.

All being well, this will be a by far my biggest project.

As the movies are inspired by JRR Tolkien's role with incorporating the same Celtic myths into his writing, namely Lord of the Rings, the project is using that style from the Lord of the Rings films, and the music is going to follow suit in many ways too. Bit of a dream project for me really!!

Libraries used are:
    Cinematic Strings 2
    Cinebrass
    Ablion Spitfire I
    True Stike
    Cinewinds
    Forest Kingdom 2
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: Myrrdin - Pre-production Teaser

Real nice work! The film has also caught my interest, this is the kind of stuff I like. Reminds me of King Arthur (2005).

Regards,

Richard

Graham! This is both excellent news, and an excellent soundtrack!

I am so happy for you - what a dream project indeed, so perfectly suited for the lush, John Williams inspired pieces you've become so proficient at writing. The production team is very fortunate to have you on board.

Arthur - Now there's an endlessly fascinating subject. There are so many variants to the legend, both in books and films - it's dizzying! The Victorian era distillation of the earliest texts by Geoffrey of Monmouth and others is what most of us were aware of for so long. But I think it's much more interesting to go back to that extremely early period, the 6th century, and picture Arthur in that much more primitive time - No sophisticated body armor which is from a much later period, no pretty fairy tale castles, no Christian themes superimposed on the original pagan ones. England was so barbaric, dangerous, disorganized, nothing like the much more civilized milieu the Arthur stories are too often placed in. Roman captain, Welsh hero, Celtic god - whoever he was, how can he not stir the imagination?

Graham, since the production team is in the process of promoting the project, and seeking more backing - maybe you could pass on an observation of mine that I think is somewhat hampering the effectiveness of the promotional trailer.-- The narration is sometimes drowned out by the music, whenever the voice dips to a more confidential tone. The gain just needs to be boosted for those moments, and maybe an opposite and momentary dip in the music track. The other observation would be less practical to implement - There's a "desktop studio" quality to the voice track which is a bit distracting to me - Well, it's not up to the quality of your music track, that's part of it. It sounds like it was done in a small room in less-than-ideal conditions. But, re-recording is probably out of the question. Maybe they could help out the quiet bits though, with compression or gain riding.

Congratulations again - You're going to be in musical heaven working on this. After listening to the trailer, I think you're already there!

Randy

Thanks Richard and Randy.

I didn't have an issue hearing the VO myself, but the VO track is just that, a hastily recorded version that is planned to be replaced by a studio recording with a female VO. This meant I scored to silence - not ideal. If the VO was there, it would have shaped the music differently in places. As it stands I'm delighted with how the music turned out. I think the mixing can still put VO over 'busy' music and be heard fine, but it's not an ideal scenario. I would prefer to treat a voice as a solo instrument and score with it.

I pointed this out as well regarding the 'tone' of the recording, but it was already known anyway by the production team, one of whom did the VO. However, an investor meeting deadline meant this had to be ready for showing and so went up as is. Those meetings have concluded now and went very well, which is great news for the project.

Glad you like the music, it'll be more Shore than Williams, or perhaps a tiny mix of both, and well, me of course as well. I set the tone for the music already in that teaser, and have a few minutes of more material written now that extends the ideas from the teaser.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Big congratulations Graham!!!!

This type of music is right up your alley. I remember a couple years ago you posted some Celtic "Lord of the Ring" type music and it was wonderful. Now you can expand on that.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the teaser right now because it is not working on my computer. It just comes up with a black screen in the center, no video. Guess I'll try again later this evening.

Just wanted to say how excited I am for you and now you get to use your immense talent on films that will be marketed.

Will tune in later....

Cass

Yeah, still no luck at hearing your post Graham. I don't know if it is because I have some type of bizarre blocker on my internet explorer, or if I don't have the correct codec to show it, although I have windows 8, updated all my video codecs that I know of and I haven't had this problem with any other video on the web that I've tried to watch. Sigh..

At any rate, if you have the time and permissions to post a simple mp3 link of the audio or youTube clip of the video somewhere else, that would be great.

Cass

Hi Cass, do you have quicktime installed?

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL837

If you already have it installed then there's something else wrong so I'll see if I can get an mp3, though the video is the best way to view, naturally.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hey Graham,

Thanks for trying to fix this for me. I do have quick time but I downloaded your update link anyway to see if that would help. I restarted the computer, but still no dice. Quick time works on other files so I'm perplexed. It's probably just an issue with my computer unfortunately. If I get a chance I'll borrow someone else's laptop to watch it.

Thanks again.

Cass

Very odd.

try this link, perhaps there is something wrong with the site. If this doesn't work I'll set up a Dropbox link

http://www.movieworks.org.uk/MyrrdinTeaser.html
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Yeah!!! I got it to work Graham.

I just happen to notice today on another site that people were having problems with flash not working on both desktop and start (tiles) modes in Windows 8. I have a new computer with windows 8 so I thought the same thing might be happening with quick time. I usually go to the forum by pressing a tile. So I went to desktop mode and got to the forum the old fashion way, by typing in the url. Low and behold, your video worked. Can let other people know if they have the same problem.

Listened to your music. Wow, it is the best sonically that I've heard yet from you. Did you do something different in your mixdown/mastering procedure on this. Really rich, just like listening to the music soundtrack of a movie at the theater. Very impressive!!!

The music itself was perfect too. The part right after the introduction sent chills down my back where you have the lower brass and lower strings crescendoing. Knock out brass sound at that point. This is so exciting. Can't wait for you to complete the scores for theses films!!!

Thanks again for your efforts to get me up and running on this video. Microsoft ......grrrr......get this fixed!

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast