• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: From a live performance....

From a live performance....

Hi all,

I just got from a live concert a couple nights ago (Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra) and it was sooo nice to hear Vaughn Williams’ \"Hodie\". So much input, I wanted to explode!

Anyway, I went home and wrote this piece (I am going to use this theme for an upcoming short). My intent was to run the gamut – sonically- and horse around with orchestration/mixing things. I very much agree with Simon, in that most of this ‘mixing business’ starts with proper orchestration (that’s the hard part for me).

One thing I was struck with was that there was more ‘verb’ in this live performance than I had anticipated (I’ve GOTTA get out more). Could be the hall (the Tabernacle on Temple Square) – I don’t know, but I tried it out on this.

As always, let me know what you think. Many thanks.

For those who are interested in libraries used:

GOS (Grand sustains, Ambience)
    PMI Steinway
    Sam Brass
    Tob’s work

Myrtle Beach, SC (USA)

Re: From a live performance....

Wow...a big THUMBS UP...great composition, Rob. I really love the arrangement and orchestral dynamics! Sounds fantastic!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Gary

Wow Rob!

My favorite was the piano work...

What a lovely composition, and the panning was very effective, listening to it in headphones...

Nice percussion at 2:40 and on... nice build up to it. I would have liked to hear more of the piano in the middle (build section), playing some lower chords or something, just so that that sound doesn\'t stop...

Very cool,

Thanks Gary and Alan,

I appreciate your vote of confidence. Piano is my primary instrument, but I am trying to \'wean\' myself from it more and more as I get into learning orchestration. I just can\'t help it on tunes like these.

Alan, good idea on the piano. When I develop this more for the actual project I\'ll give your suggestion a go. Thanks.

Beautiful piece,
    thanks for sharing.

Very nice Rob,
    Good job on all counts. I, too, especially liked the piano. Great room sound. What verb did you use?

It sounded like you used a G-town tom roll (or maybe SAM?). I thought that was a bit off, rhythmically.

I really liked the mix though. It had a lot of ambience in the quiet parts and the dynamics were big and powerful, but at every moment it was perfectly balanced. Top Notch, really [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rob, try to insert some breathing pauses in that first flute part. It will sound more real.

Alex Cremers

Awesome job! That\'s some really enjoyable music. I especially like the everchanging arrangement and the delicate ending was a nice touch.

However, as a flute player I agree with Alex. You had me breathing hard for a bit. Putting in a few breaks or splitting the part between two players should be pretty easy.

That\'s a minor point and it doesn\'t impact the fact that I really enjoyed it. Thank you for posting.

Steve Chandler

Hey great ideas on letting our \'flutist\' breath. Chalk this up to \'to close to the trees to see the ole\' forrest.\'

Alex, you derserve a gold star for that suggestion. I am on my way out of the studio in a few but will \'retake\' the part tomorrow with the breathing pauses.

This now goes on \'the list\' of things to not forget when writing.

Regarding the verb:

To get more depth (until gigapulse or VSL MIR) I set up 3 different FX verbs within SX (close, stage, and far) and ran the different sections through them (e.g strings to \'close\' - woods and Brass to \'Stage\' and percussion to \'far\'.) All the verbs had the same size room and length of tail - I just gave the them different \'pre delays\' (25 ms on close, 50 ms on stage, and 80 ms on far.)

Rob - Wonderful! I will spend much time trying to dissect some of those beautiful string harmonies. This one will go on my iPod! (Well actually, it\'s my wife\'s.) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum