• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Giga vs Halion argumnet with my teacher needs to end!!

Share/Bookmark

Giga vs Halion argumnet with my teacher needs to end!!

My music tech teacher says that \"Halion is more powerful\", and he also said something about halion having more muliti timber outs... I don\'t really know what that means so I couldn\'t come back with anything...

He said he hasn\'t used giga or wasn\'t familiar with it, but I cant seem to get my argument across to him that he surely has to use giga a little to be able to say absolutely that its more powerful, right?

Also, he says something that I just cant get my head around....

We all know that giga can crossfade using the mod wheel. Now my music tech teacher says that you can assign the mod wheel to move through (essentially crossfading I assume) through many different patches. he was talking about some new string samples, I think from Wizoo, that he was loving that you could do swell effects on it by mod wheeling up many different patches/samples whatever to simulate a swell. he said that you cannot do this with giga. That is mod wheel through MANY samples not just 2.

But I was told, even in a recent SOS mag, that crossfading was something that Halion currently \"HAD NO ALERTATIVE\" to.

Is he confused or something? Becuase it sounds like it.

-----

As you can see my argument\'s a bit of a mess, since I don\'t know, basically, what I am talking about, and its very difficult unless I do. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] So can someone please give me the straight facts.

What are pluses of giga and what are the pluses of halion. How do they differ and WHICH IS MORE POWERFUL.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Heck, even if he is right, I have to know.

Ed

PS: hey, Dave Govett, PLEASE you wrote that tutorial you have to know a thing or two about giga [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Could you enlighten me on this subject?

Re: Giga vs Halion argumnet with my teacher needs to end!!

Quick response, without too much detail. I don\'t know which is more powerful. But I do know that Giga will handle 8 \'patches\' via the mod wheel. I also know that a better way (generally) is to use keyswitching, which I don\'t know if Halion supports.

Don\'t worry aout which is more powerful, concern yourself with \'will it get the job done the way I want.\'

There\'s an old story about how the Medes fought the Persians, even though they could hardly tell each other apart. And to this day, one man\'s Mede is another man\'s Persian! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But seriously, horsepower races are really just another version of \"mine\'s bigger than yours.\" There are certainly reasons in the current releases of each to point to one feature or another and say, \"See? Mine\'s more powerful.\" And in the next release, the other system may well have the upper hand. Any professional educator should know this, and be trying to show you how to make best use of whatever platform you have available.

Maybe you should change teachers...

Dasher

hmmm a teacher with his facts screwed up....

sounds familiar.

Dont argure with him, he doesn\'t know what he\'s talking about [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ah King, PLEASE tell me some spesifics of where my teacher is wrong?!

I am perfectly aware that its realyl \"which gets the job done\", but Im sure he just has his facts screwed, and facts arent determind by subjective observation.

Ed

Originally posted by Ed:
    My music tech teacher says that \"Halion is more powerful\", and he also said something about halion having more muliti timber outs... I don\'t really know what that means so I couldn\'t come back with anything...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well tell him that HALion is owned by Steinberg and relies on them for updates/support- that should end the argument pretty quickly. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Also, he says something that I just cant get my head around....

We all know that giga can crossfade using the mod wheel. Now my music tech teacher says that you can assign the mod wheel to move through (essentially crossfading I assume) through many different patches. he was talking about some new string samples, I think from Wizoo, that he was loving that you could do swell effects on it by mod wheeling up many different patches/samples whatever to simulate a swell. he said that you cannot do this with giga. That is mod wheel through MANY samples not just 2.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">HALion can do keyswitching and you can also switch layers with the modwheel...what you can\'t do is crossfade a sustaining note in realtime like the Giga EXP patches. There is a workaround that enables you to do it with two layers only. This new string library must have some samples specially recorded for this crossfade technique as there is no way generally to do it. It must only be this Wizoo library that you can do it with, no other libraries can do this cause HALion can\'t really handle this type of crossfade.

The pros of HALion however are:

-24 bit.
    - Polyphony is (effectively) only limited by the power of the machine you\'re using/speed of hard drive etc.
    - Integrated with sequencer so it runs in perfect harmony with it and when you save the song, the instruments and settings all save with it, and of course reload when you reload the song.
    - You can load more instruments than Giga.
    - You can limit polyphony available to any specific instrument. So if its a greedy instrument that\'s eating up most of your polyphony when you play just a couple of notes then you can set it so it can\'t, basically, by limiting the polyphony local to it.
    - Its got a great looking user interface and the editor is not overwhelming either, quite simple to use once you get the hang of folders.

That\'s all I can think of for now. As I don\'t have Giga someone else will have to list the pros of it. It can crossfade though, eight layer I believe and it can do keyswitching on the fly without having to \"load\" anything as such. Not to mention the fact that so far all the big orchestral libraries are made for it. So with HALion\'s only acceptable conversion of Giga that is definitely a Giga plus.

Well this is a Giga forum so you\'re not gonna hear much about HALion here. I\'d go to the Steinberg forums and ask a guy called Pinkcanary - he owns both Giga and HALion and is a real techhead. But I think there\'s no point comparing them really \'cos as long as Steinberg are the company behind HALion there is no hope for it in the future...

Here is a forum link with info on the HALion string library he keeps going on about:

http://forum.cubase.net/forum/Forum4/HTML/007480.html

Apparently the total material recorded was one terabyte. Hmm somehow I doubt the strings alone were as large as the entire QLSO... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Your music technology teacher is a dickhead. Drop his class...waste of time.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

...and I say that, not because he has an opinion, but because he\'s spreading misinformation. He should be ashamed of himself for that. Without experience in GigaStudio, he has no basis to offer an opinion on the matter at all. Concerning the velocity crossfades he is simply wrong.

LOL Bruce, you made my morning! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But Bruce is right.
    Heck, there may be some advantage to having both, like having Halion on a smaller system running all the short sample stuff or something. Maybe not. Still, this all smacks of those \"Mac is better than PC - PC is better than MAC\" fist-fights, when really one side does not know for sure what the advantages are of the other side.

\"Originally posted by Hasen:\"

\"Well tell him that HALion is owned by Steinberg and relies on them for updates/support- that should end the argument pretty quickly. \"

Why are people saying this? Is Steinberg not reliable for releasing updates I thought that people also complain about Nemesys for the same reason, right?

\"HALion can do keyswitching\"

He had no idea what \"keyswitching\" was!! I had to explain to him, and even then he didn\'t understand and said it sounds more complicated and would prefer to have individual patches... he did concede that he didn\'t really know but from my description he said he would rather have the patches laid out individually.

Personally I don\'t know how anyone can use, say QL Rare Instruments without Giga keyswitching and not WANT to use it. Its sooo much more difficult, its just impossible to play anything like that sort of sample lib without keyswitching in real time.

\"and you can also switch layers with the modwheel...\"

He specifically stated that Halion can assign the mod wheel to any modulation feature (I cant remember the actual words?). He said that giga cant.

\"what you can\'t do is crossfade a sustaining note in realtime like the Giga EXP patches. There is a workaround that enables you to do it with two layers only. \"

Why does he think this new Wizoo lib can do it then? Having said that, he doesn\'t seem to consider it \"crossfading\" (in wizoo) as when I said \"oh like crossfading?\" he said \"....*silence* no that\'s not crossfading...\"... so clearly this wizoo lib is slightly... different? How so?

\" This new string library must have some samples specially recorded for this crossfade technique as there is no way generally to do it. \"

I don\'t understand. He said that you can \'use the modwheel to move through many different patches to create a realistic string swell\'. i.e., move through many samples. I got the impression that from Dasher that giga can as well... \"handle 8 \'patches via the mod wheel. \" , this SOUNDS like what the wizoo strings are doing.

So, what\'s the difference between the two processes?

\" It must only be this Wizoo library that you can do it with, no other libraries can do this cause HALion can\'t really handle this type of crossfade.\"

So what can you use the mod wheel for in halion? He seemed to make out as if you could assign the wheel to do many many ... things, I cant really remember his exact words.

\"The pros of HALion however are:\"

<snip>
    Noted.

I\'ll be the first to point out Halions good points and Gigas bad points and visa versa. I also understand its personal preference of whatever you prefer, but something just didn\'t sound right of what he was telling me about Giga and Halion. He just seemed to be telling me things that just werent true.

\"...Not to mention the fact that so far all the big orchestral libraries are made for it. So with HALion\'s only acceptable conversion of Giga that is definitely a Giga plus.\"

I told him that but just kept saying that, \"Halion is more powerfull\".

\"Well this is a Giga forum so you\'re not gonna hear much about HALion here. I\'d go to the Steinberg forums and ask a guy called Pinkcanary - he owns both Giga and HALion and is a real techhead. \"

I\'ll have to check that out!!

\"But I think there\'s no point comparing them really \'cos as long as Steinberg are the company behind HALion there is no hope for it in the future...\"

Like I asked at the beginning of this post, \"what does this mean?\"

Ok, just to make sure. How would you guys respond to the following statements

Q1. \"Everything Giga can do Halion can do too..... \"

Q2. \"The only thing you might be able to get me on is that giga might have lower latency, and possibly doesn\'t have as much load on the system ... although Halion works fine on my computer!\"

Q3. \"Halion is more powerful than giga....\"

Q4. \"Halion has more multi timbral outs\" (I think that\'s what he said, he used this as some kind of argument for halion being more powerful.

That\'s all I can think of for now. Those were his actual words as best as I can remember them.

Ed

PS:

1. He had never heard of Spectrasonics till I told him, though he claims to read SOS a lot and recommended it for our regular reading material.

2. His soul experience with giga, apparently, was with Gigasampler though I don\'t know in what context, he just said he had \"used it a little\". I keep telling him that Gigastudio is quite different so maybe we are both talking about 2 different programs? He doesn\'t seem to grasp the idea that Gigastudio is very different.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast