• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Trombone opinions?

Trombone opinions?

I am in the market for a good trombone sample and would like to know what other people feel about some of the various ones out there.

Of course realism and expression are important to me. I would also like a multi-layered crossfade sample with different techniques etc. I\'ve hard that Kirk Hunter is coming out with brass for a reasonable price but I can\'t find any details about it.

What trombone samples are others happy with?

Re: Trombone opinions?

I like Dan Dean Brass Ensembles Bones [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The FFF may have a bit too much sizzle to be honest. However the rest of the dynamics are plain awesome, and the staccs will bite your head off.

The KH Trombones are my favorite part of Kirk Hunter\'s (Beta) BRASS library. They really kick some booty. The problem is, I am too busy using them to really explore this vast vast library. There are some picc/trumpets that are already my go-to instruments. Very expressive, multi layered. There seems to me more control of dynamics as compared to, say, SAMs Horns, which are also very good. I find myself using both libs for different reasons. I will have to do a full demo for the KHB like I did for GOS, just to get used to them and become familiar with all the instruments. Like GOS, the lib is a bit overwhelming. Well, after I finish my current job, maybe I can get on the KHB lib and demo.

being that I programmed some of the lib, I like it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The horns have a great \"epic\" sound and is probably my favorite part of the library.

The trumpets and bones are a bit problematic at the FFF range for me, The treble projects too well in the church/hall and seem to jump out at you. However at FF its fine and anything lower its fantastic.

I wish there were more articulations, but Dan\'s hinted at going back to record trills and such, which could be offered as an update.

personally I think 3 mics would ahve been the best choice instead of two.

Still, as it is, the library does rock. Nothing out there like it right now.

That may change with KH, VSL, QLSO, and whoever else is doing orchestral/brass samples. Still, since I did some of the programming I know its going to be useful to me atleast [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

KI, does the Dan Dean Brass Ensembles have flutter tongue? Only SAMs seems to have this. KH may yet have this, but it does have lots of trills.

no flutter tongue, just portato, staccs and sustains, with mutes/stops and without.

possibly in an update. He atleast knows we want it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Does anyone know when KH brass will be available or what the price will be? Can we get a demo and listing of articulations and features so I can decide if I should wait or buy something else? Thank you

BTW, I understand that Sonic Implants is going to record and release the rest of the orchestra in sections. I\'d be interested to hear their bones when they come out.

Hey Kari, here are 2 beta demos I did with KH brass.

( www.aaronsapp.com/KH.mp3 )

( www.aaronsapp.com/Falling.mp3 )

Hope this speaks for it. These two will be finished soon.

Originally posted by karimelm:
    Does anyone know when KH brass will be available or what the price will be? Can we get a demo and listing of articulations and features so I can decide if I should wait or buy something else? Thank you
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The Overall Concept of the Virtuoso Series Brass Library

The Virtuoso Series Brass Library is designed to be an extremely flexible multi-sample collection containing 1500 instrumts! If you want that \"cinematic\" or \"Hollywood film score\" sound, this is the library to get! The focus is on single multi-sample notes rather than \"riffs\" or \"phrases\", though some popular and useful performances are included. At the time of the publishing of this manual, the library ships as a 10-DVD ROM, 33 GB set. It is likely that it shall be larger with updates. Meticulous attention was given to get just the right orchestral expressiveness in each recorded note to convey a truly orchestral, score-like feel. Additionally, only the best players were used to achieve amazing performances. Especially noteworthy is how long the players could hold a note while maintaining pitch and dynamics.
    And with the \"plug and play\" programming in the numerous instruments and variations, the user is immediately able to get the \"feel\" right there at the keyboard with little or no \"tweaking\".

The Virtuoso Series Brass is designed with two (2) orchestral settings.
    1) Symphonic, and 2) Chamber.
    The Symphonic setting is recorded with larger ensembles in a large concert hall for the most \"cinematic\" sound.
    The Chamber setting is recorded in a smaller concert hall with a smaller section size for a more \"intimate\" or \"close\" sound.

The Instrumentation:
    2 and 4 Trumpets (2 on softer layers, and 4 on louder layers.)
    4, 6, and 8 French Horns (4 used on the more pp layers, 6 on the mp-mf
    layers, and 8 on the f-ff layers.)
    3 and 6 trombones (3 on softer layers, and 6 on louder layers.)
    2 Bass Trombones
    2 Tubas
    (Mutes are included on all except tuba.)

Solo Trumpet
    2 and 3 Trumpets (2 on softer layers, and 3 on louder layers.)
    4 French Horns
    3 trombones
    2 Bass Trombones
    (Mutes are included on all chamber instruments except the solo trumpet.)

Recordings and Features:

•Currently, 1500 Instruments!
    •Recorded in two (2) real concert halls.
    •Chromatically sampled.
    •Six (6) dynamics (pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff) were recorded for most of the
    sustained and staccato samples. As many as 12 staccato layers in the
    \"Chamber\" staccato French Horns.
    •Sustained - Very long sustained samples. (As long as 17 seconds in some cases!)
    •Overdrive - Long french horn notes \"over played\". Sometimes, it is desired to hear the brass players, especially french horn players, play so loudly on their instruments, that it \"over blows\". You\'ll hear this in such scores as \"Star Wars\" and \"The Planets\". This has a very \"intense\" loud sound, and not found in other sample libraries.
    •Staccato - Very \"tight\" and fast \"bursts\" and \"pops\". These are especially useful in very fast phrases.
    •Marcato - Sometimes called \"portato\". This articulation is more like a long staccato rather than a sustained portato.
    •Mutes - All of the sustained and staccato samples are also recorded with the straight mute with the exception of the solo trumpet and tuba section. No brass library is complete without this very useful sound!
    •Trills - Half step and whole step sustained trills for trumpets, and french horns.
    •Rips - Usually one-octave \"leaps\" to a target note. These are very useful in french horns and trumpets. (Note: You can use the staccato layers to create \"rips\" of your own!)
    •Tenor and Bass trombone swells and grunts. These are great for mysterious and suspenseful phrases.
    •More \"riffs\" and \"performances\" are planned subsequent to the publishing of this version of the Virtuoso Series Brass Library.
    •Extremely deep programming to create the most realistic and expressive control over the samples.

The Symphonic Instrument .gig files:
    There are two (2) types of \"Symphonic\" .gig files.
    1) \"wet\" and 2) \"dry\".
    The \"wet\" instruments usually contain the sound of the concert hall where the samples were recorded at the tail end of the sample. Additionally, the legato sustained instruments utilize the concert hall reverb with release triggers.
    The \"dry\" instruments are included so that you can employ any external reverb of your choice. (Many of the above-mentioned \"wet\" instruments fare quite well with external reverbs as well.)
    The point here is to give the user a choice between ambient or dry

The Chamber Instrument .gig files:
    Most of the \"chamber\" .gig files have three (3) types of instrument setups.
    1) \"Room\", 2) \"Dry\" and 3) \"Hall.
    These variations give the user a choice with regard to the \"tightness\" or
    \"loosness\" of the sound. Use the \"Dry\" instruments for a tight sound, or if you want to take full advantage of your own external reverb. While the \"Room\" and \"Hall\" instruments accept external reverbs quite well, they have a more ambient sound all on their own.

The Instument List Setup Design Within the .gig Files:
    •Additionally, a \"Use This Instrument if You Want \'This Type\' of Musical
    Phrase\" file will help to assist you with choices of instruments for certain types of musical phrases. (Found in the printed booklet.)

Here is a PARTIAL list of the instrument programming concept:

Dynamic - Dynamic instruments will have harder tighter and brighter attacks the harder you play, and softer smoother and darker attacks the softer you play. These are best used for wide dynamic ranges when, for example, you want to \"blast\" with hard and heavy attacks, and then immediately follow with an extremely soft legato expressive passage. You\'ll find that these \"dynamic\" instrumets are arranged with many choices of dynamic ranges. Suppose you\'d like to play very loud with a heavy attack, but yet, not quite so bright. It\'s THERE! You\'ll easily find any dynamic range included in the instrument list for your particular musical expression. This way, you\'ll be able to enjoy the full spectum of all the recorded dynamics in the Virtuoso Series Brass.

Sfz Sus, or Staccato Sus- These instruments utilize a sharp attack at the beginning of the note. All dynamics are included from pp to ff. Use these instruments when you want to play something either staccato, or with a sharp attack at ANY dynamic range....even pp. Again, all dynamic variations are included so you can either play loud and bright, or loud and dark...the choice is yours.

Sfz Swells - Hit a note, move up the mod wheel, and presto....you\'ve created the signature brass swell that\'s a MUST for brass orchestration. Note that there are several choices of the dynamic start of the first sfz note. This way, you can play an aggressive huge dynamic swell, or you can start from a soft note that swells up in dynamics.

Sus, Staccato - These instruments are very useful in that they enbale you to control the amount of attack at the beginning of the note with the Mod Wheel. This way, you\'ll be able to have sharp notes followed immediately by legato notes at either the SAME or ANY dynamic.

Note that many of the \"building block\" sample layers are included in the
    instrument list as well. This way, you\'ll be able to \"stack\" instruments in your own performances however you choose.

Instrument Naming Conventions:

Generally, the way an instrument is named is as follows:
    (Instrument name), (how the instrument is controlled) = (the sample layers that are utilized), (the dynamic range)
    \"KH Tpts Vs = StaccatoSus Dyn pp-ff\"
    Trumpet section with velocity-switched sustained notes with a staccato
    attack. The samples will play brighter and harder the harder you play. The dynamic range is from pp to ff.

•/ = Mod Wheel

•Amb or Verb = Instruments which use natural reverb from the hall where the samples were recorded.

•BTmb = Bass trombones

•Dyn = Describes an instrument where multiple layers are used, and the
    strongest attacks and brightest layers occur the harder you play. Use these instruments for sustained passages when you want long notes, but want them to be harder and brighter the harder you play.

•Fanfare = Use these instruments for fanfares or in musical phrases where you want a fast attack followed by a strong even sustained sound.

•Fh or Fhn = French horns

•Marcato = Short \"portato\", or longer staccato.

•Mw = Mod Wheel crossfades or switches from one sample layer to another.

•Sfz = A short hard attack at the beginning of the sample.

•StaccatoSus = A long sustained layer with a short tight attack.

•Sus = Long sustained samples

•Swell = A signature brass sound where the sound starts at a certain level, and then swells by getting louder and brighter.

•Tba = Tubas

•Tmb = Trombones

•Tpts = Trumpet section

•Vs = Velocity-switched. The velocity switches to and from various sample layers.

The price for the whole thing is $499.00 US.
    Official release date is 12/15, however, that\'s due to just finishing up the booklets. The samples and programs are done. If you really need these NOW, email me for details at MuzkGuy@aol.com

Kirk Hunter

Go Back to forum