• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: my first piano sonata

Share/Bookmark

my first piano sonata

Hi All,
    I\'m just wondering what you guys think of a piano sonata (my first) I recently finished. It\'s kind of in the romantic/classical vein. See if you can guess the piano library. It\'s about 21 minutes long, so I guess I\'ll just post the last movement for now.

3rd movement
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/mp3/3/7/5/37544.mp3

This one\'s the most \"exciting\" movement.

I\'m looking forward to some feedback!
    Thanks

Re: my first piano sonata

this piece just filled me with the beautiful feelings surrounded by an eternal season of love...very soulful.

Hi Tony, you love to play 8va\'s in the hands? Well I don\'t! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Just kidding, however, you are overusing the effect of playing 8va\'s and therefor you don\'t get that power out of it.

Also you could cut at least 100 bars from the movement, it gets kind of boring listening to same 2-3 chords over and over again - its just not interesting.

Use also contrary motion much more, it gives the composition the contrast which its needs. Now I hear, parallels over and over again - That\'s ok to use parallels, but it gets very quickly boring if you don\'t add the contrast of contrary motion.

Overall effect of the piece on me, is that it\'s rather static and it isn\'t developing smoothly.

Need to get some sleep now, sorry if I sound harsh or unfair. But I hope this helps a little bit.

Very nice technique on the piano playing. What inspired a piano solo?

Regarding library: Bosendorfer with a fair amount of eq.

Hi Joanne. You know why the technique is so good? Because it\'s sequenced, not live! One main reason I wrote this was to study form and not have to deal with orchestration. I\'ll reveal the library later on.

Falcon1, thanks for the comments. I don\'t know where you get \"2-3 chords\" from. Did you listen to the whole thing? There\'s a whole mess of chords in there.
    You\'re right that I do use octaves quite a bit.

robin, are you a hippie? Just joking...
    I\'m glad you liked it.

Hi Tony, I looked at your score at sibeliusmusic and yes, I listened to the whole thing - all 327 bars or so.
    The harmonic language in this piece is very static and kind of stuck, if you know what I mean. However, to be fair it gets little more interesting after bar 200.

I won\'t say more in public but if you like to discuss further you are welcome to send me PM.

Originally posted by falcon1:

The harmonic language in this piece is very static and kind of stuck, if you know what I mean. However, to be fair it gets little more interesting after bar 200.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Nope, I don\'t know what you mean. This comment is just as mystifying as your \"2-3 chords\" one. The harmony changes quite a bit. Obviously I\'m not going to change it unless a change is justified in some way.

Why won\'t you discuss more in public? Are you afraid you\'re going to hurt my feelings?

If you have some tips on harmony, I\'m sure I\'m not the only one who\'d be interested. It would be great if you could go into some detail. There\'s so little discussion about theory (including harmony) here that I think lots of people would welcome it.

I (as a pianist) really think this is a interesting music in all aspects , but please don´t sequence piano music. Piano should never be sequenced , should be played. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Anthony,

Bottom line is this... If your music pleases you and other people who are accustomed to listening to solo classical piano, that is all that really matters. It does not matter what some music critic may have to say about your music if others who are intelligent listeners are pleased with your music, because music educators or critics are a very small minority group of people. These critics will not put money in your pocket, but intelligent listeners who appreciate your music will. No doubt Chopin would have been shot down by some music critics had he asked for their opinions. I know of music educators who have been severely critical of other peoples compositions because they were secretly jealous for one of two reasons... The composer\'s work they were criticizing was better than what they could do, or the composer was not one of their students. Most certainly this does not apply to every music educator. For these reasons it is very important not to let these critics diminish your creativity and spirit.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Originally posted by leogardini:
    I (as a pianist) really think this is a interesting music in all aspects , but please don´t sequence piano music. Piano should never be sequenced , should be played. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Humm , please don´t misinterpret me. What I mean is that music piano should be played with our fingers , not the mouse... and , never quantize the midi files. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum