• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best legati violin sections?

Share/Bookmark

Best legati violin sections?

Hi Gang.

I\'m trying to build up the infamous \"Orchestral Template #1\" in my GigaStudio, and am having a difficult time trying to find a string patch that fills this need.

I\'m trying to find a medium/large violin section that can effectively perform legato phrases. Not like the Harry Potter runs, but more lyrical, cantabile ones. Think of the sweeping theme of \"E.T.\" or of \"Han and Lea\'s Theme\" from Star Wars, where the strings take over from the solo woodwinds.

Can anyone make any recommendations? For all of the wonderful avant-garde techniques available on many of the newer libraries, I have yet to hear a really good all-purpose legato section.

Thanks for your insight!

Re: Best legati violin sections?

To my knowledge, such a thing does not exist.

Hi Blue,

I\'m glad you\'ve raised this topic since I\'m very interested in how to achieve realistic violin section legato fast runs that are composed from single note samples rather than phrases. If anyone here can produce any decent examples of such legato violin section runs, please can they give a link to mp3s and say how they achieved their results?

Nicholas

he\'s right, such a thing does not exist.

you can get good results with GOS, KH, and SI. Or a combination of all three. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'m working on an update for GOS that I\'m benchmarking with ET, but even I know that its not a sound that will \"play out of the box\" there are too many nuances in the legato. Hard Attacks, slides, etc. You can usually get teh hard attacks no prob, but the slides take a bit of work to tweak, or some innovative programming with raw samples from the start. As Aenigma is doing and VSL are doing.

Hi Guys.

Thanks for your replies. Nicholas, as I mentioned in my original message, I am not really interested in fast 32nd-note runs (a la Harry Potter), but, rather, lyrical cantabile violin sections such as in the scores I mentioned.

Judging from King and Guate\'s replies, such a thing does not at present exist. I love some of the articulations in Siedlaczek and Miroslav, but have yet to hear any library cover basic legato violins well.

So what do you guys use to achieve lyrical violin sections? A combination of staccati vlns and pads?

So basically what you\'re saying is you want smooth legato passages? ET is particularly difficult to do and I don\'t think can really be done with the current libraries. Not wihout a lot of work anyway. Should all change with VSL etc though.

It really does depend on what you consider \"good\"

I personally think that GOS can get some good results, as well SI is awesome for some lines. KH can do some big sweeping lines with aggressive attacks from the demos I\'ve been hearing.

Still nuances like Slides need some work to get right. GOS has Slide samples so you can build \"moving/sweeping\" lines, but it takes some work. VSL will have quite a bit of focus on legato techniques, so you may want to see how that pans out.

Hi Guys,

I don\'t know the other libraries, but there is a distinct advantage to the GOS library, in that the Maestro Tools performance utility provided with it was designed specifically to address the difficulty of achieving realistic legato phrasing. When Maestro is activated for legato mode using the sustain pedal, it smooths the note to note transitions (through the use of masking samples and elimination of the release samples), and cuts the programming job to a (relatively speaking) minimum. One also has the possibility to tweak attack parameters with this library.

Granted, there are other nuances in a legato performance that even Maestro/GOS do not yet account for, like the short duration \'pitch bends\' or \'mini-slides\' associated with the violinist\'s finger moving to the new note position. To account for these effects still takes work - drawing in a little pitch bend, or as King suggests adding in a bit of a slide sample - but GOS with Maestro has sure made a giant step forward in making more realistic legato a less than Herculean task.

Trond

Originally posted by dnortana:
    Hi Guys,

Granted, there are other nuances in a legato performance that even Maestro/GOS do not yet account for, like the short duration \'pitch bends\' or \'mini-slides\' associated with the violinist\'s finger moving to the new note position
    Trond
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes. I\'ve studied this. The transition between legato notes contains a phase of finger damping, causing a timbral change, and pitch bend. E.g. in legato down there is up to 100ms of pitch bend as the finger leaves the board, relaxing the tension of the string. This is never more than 100 cents, irregardless of the legato interval. Finger damping cuts in progressively for 150ms, initially causing a loss of amplitude of the fundamental as well as upper range partials, with the third harmonic persisting longer.

A transition sound is much more pronounced in solo strings. Nevertheless, the lack of a transition sound is the main reasons why fast legato runs in GOS et. al. can sound synthy.

Unfortunately band pass filtration in GSeditor is not up to this, but for practical purposes one can ignore the differential effect on the fundamental partial, which makes it possible to set up legato with a transition sound as described as an art file. All that\'s required in the sequencer is to overlap the transition phase of the legato notes.

Unfortunately band pass filtration in GSeditor is not up to this, but for practical purposes one can ignore the differential effect on the fundamental partial, which makes it possible to set up legato with a transition sound as described as an art file. All that\'s required in the sequencer is to overlap the transition phase of the legato notes.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Beckers - have you tried this? If so, how successful was it?

On a related note, does anyone know of any \'Bollywood\' style Indian strings samples?

Go Back to forum