• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sound Effects Library

Share/Bookmark

Sound Effects Library

Anyone have recommendations on good sound effects libraries (and possibly any fx libraries that I should stay away from)?

Re: Sound Effects Library

http://soundfx.com/HollywoodEdge.htm
    hollywood edge, for exemple.

Try \"Sound Ideas\" or \"Blue Box\". They are really great.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

If you use Giga, Hollywood Edge is the way to go. All the QuickSound references are built in, so you get cross-referenced instant searches...it\'s a massive, massive time saver.

Make sure you get the Giga/Wav version, though.

Thanks all! One more question Bruce. Do you know if the Hollywood Edge libraries unique (H01-H29)? Or is there some overlap between libraries?

Black Box from Best Service or Studio Box (4 DVDs). Great libraries in WAV format. For full content: soundsonline.com

Originally posted by damoy:
    Thanks all! One more question Bruce. Do you know if the Hollywood Edge libraries unique (H01-H29)? Or is there some overlap between libraries?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There\'s no overlap, with the exceptions of The Edge Edition collections, which are smaller \"greatest hits\" of the larger library.

The quality of these is really nice. I have used them extensively, and have used Sound Ideas extensively as well. All in all, Hollywood Edge has the upper hand in recording quality--many of the Sound Ideas effects are quite noisy and approach what I\'d call lo-fi. Their later collections are higher fidelity and less noisy. However, none of the effects libraries are catalogued as well for Giga\'s QuickSound engine as Hollywood Edge, and this has been a monumental time-saver in my work.

In general, my work flow is to loop the section of video where the desired effect will go, do a QuickSound search for the applicable effects, drag them onto the Distributed Wave instrument, and audition from the keyboard until I find the perfect effect or combo. I then look at the readouts to find the file locations, and drag those effects onto the Vegas timeline (across the network) for editing into the project itself. Now and then I do a Save As in Vegas with the \"copy\" box checked, and they\'re copied off the network location and into the local subdirectory of my project (so that the network isn\'t getting bogged down with too much streaming from the Giga machine). Pretty seamless, and works on any size and scale of network.

Best regards,
    Bruce

www.SoundDogs.com is another great online source.

Franz...thanks for the link to sound-effects-library.com. I didn\'t know about them at all, and it is always great to have those resources at hand when you need them.

Go Back to forum